1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What does it take to get Yao to shoot the damn Ball?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Dec 23, 2003.

Tags:
  1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

The past 10 games, Yao averaged 6 shots per game. No franchise center or all star player can contribute to the team taking so little shots. The guards are not why Yao gets so little shot attempts after all, its Yao himself. Yao simply doesn't want to shoot the ball. How many times have we seen Yao with the ball at point blank range or deep inside the paint just to pass the ball back out. Must be frustrating for the guards to go through all the effort to get him the ball just to get it back. If he doesn't want to shoot it, why even bother passing it to Yao. This kind of play has to stop. If Yao refuses to take shots, then its the coaches job to force him to take the shots. How can the rockets have an inside/out offense when the inside portion is non-existent. And this is not due to inability, its due to stupidity.

2. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

And oh yeah, he's getting beaten up in there. Yao is getting grabbed, tugged, held, pushed and alot of times, blatantly. And guess what, no foul called. If Yao is waiting for the refs to bail him out, he can continue to wait. If the opponents play dirty, then you just have to teach them a lesson by throwing an elbow and fight back. This is the NBA, not some gentlemen leaque basketball they play over in China.

3. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

I agree. He was doing the same thing tonight. Great position 8 ft from the basket, he makes his move, and passes out to a shooter who isn't even that open.

JVG is probably tired of chewing Yao out about his passivity.

4. sup123

sup123 Member

i have to disagree, I dont think he gets the ball enough. He usalliy passes the ball out when he is doubled team and i dont blame him for that.

5. rockets688

rockets688 Member

If this is truly to be an inside-out offense, Yao needs to get the ball on EVERY posession. I think we all see why its not happening right now, Yao is not getting position on the floor to get passes thrown to him. Simple as that. If he's open, he'll get the ball, and our offense will flow, score, and win.

6. disney

disney Member

we want a team game,right?passing is good,if he didnt have a good chance to score,so did the shooter! tonight,i also see yao pass 2wide-open ball to Piatkowski, but.....

anyway we dont have to blame them,i dont see ath wrong there.

7. gasnapalm

gasnapalm Member

im going to say this in hope people will wake up, no it is mostly the guards problem anyone that actually goes to a rockets game will see this, this is what happens: yao starts posting up it takes the guards forever to bring the ball up court because we can barely break a press or is taking too much time playing with the ball, (too many dribbles) by then the post man guarding yao is now fronting him the player then tries to get the ball to yao but decides not to lob it because our guards dont know how then swing it to the otherside making all the hard work yao does for positioning useless, his team mates need to help him out on this he starts to get discouraged and doesnt even fight for position anymore because he knows hes not getting the ball HELL he gives the most screens for steve or mobely and he never gets the ball on a pick and roll why does he want to work for positioninng if hes not going to get it? this is why he isnt demanding the ball his team mates just arent willing to help him out

8. farhan007

farhan007 Member

maybe becasue he gets fronted... And dont even talk about passing over the guy because yao is 7' 6". The guy gaurding him probably can jump a whole foot higher than yao.

9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. Yao was getting consistently screwed by the refs tonight.

I also agree that while he could have taken one or two more shots, the problem is that the team is shooting so horrendously from the perimeter - Yao gets them open looks, they don't hit them.

10. lanqiu1

lanqiu1 Contributing Member

Check Indy's big men, O'neal 5 fouls, Foster 4 fouls, Harrington 5 fouls, and Pollard 5 fouls. They defended the inside relentlessly.

11. sup123

sup123 Member

when he is fronted they should throw a lob pass in. And it works because i remember bragg did it.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

He gets fronted so much because (a) he runs that stupid ass piece of crap play where they set the pick for the wingman to pop out even thought it isn't necessary and only helps Yao's defender get in front of him and (b) the Rockets are horrendous at making the other team pay. Yao is getting fronted and quasi doubled by a guard or SF from the back, but when you don't swing the ball efficiently you don't take advantage of it. The reason the Rockets of old were never fronted is the reason why most teams today aren't - they would swing the ball and get open perimeter and layup shots.

13. Xenogears

Xenogears Member

I think Yao not shooting is only attributes to a small percentage of the problem. 90% is still selfish guard play. Yao only got 4 shots tonight!:mad:

14. Charvo

Charvo Member

It was a great pass too. It's not easy to execute.

15. dragon167

dragon167 Contributing Member

If u notice yao's previous post-game interviews after some good games, 90% of the time he would say something like our ball movement was great tonight and we found the open guys. It's his philosophy of what basketball game is about. Maybe u can interpret that he's simpy not a dominant player yet as those players would beat the double team or triple team or even "force" some shots and made it.

16. egn

egn Member

It is clear to me that you did not even watch the game.

17. Compgeek

Compgeek Member

I kept hearing it's too difficult to execute. How many times has it been tried and resulted in a turn over? The perimeter shots are not easy either and more than 60% time they're throwing up bricks. I don't see people telling those bozos to stop shooting.

If something doesn't work time and time again (like guard-oriented attack for the past 4 or 5 years), people should improvise or be phased out. Learn from history and stats, or look for Alladdin's magic lamp.

18. fietguy

fietguy Member

guys, one of the few games i missed, i would love some intelligent feedback...

just by looking at the boxscores, piatkowski, mo, and cat is shooting horrible...

Statement: I do not think it is correct to say Yao does not have the mindset to take over. Instead I think it is more correct to say Yao wants and plays a style of ball where the open shooter should take the shot, and not force anything.

ie. tonite, by looking at the other forwards fouls i would imagine Yao got double teamed all night. instead of forcing it Yao passes. Tonite, our perimeter players shot horriblly.

Question: Would Yao ever sacricfice this mindset? Although, in theory, it is almost infallible, move the ball, pass to the open man, exploit matchups, shoot when open.

But how good is this theory when the ball doesn't drop?

19. Phoenix

Phoenix Member

I think that Yao's lack of shot attempts is a combination of two factors:

A) His lack of agressiveness - (both in establishing himself in the post and calling for the ball). At the end of the day, I wouldn't pass Yao the ball if he was getting abused down low. That's just bad basketball.

B) Bad guard play - Our guards obviously rather shoot the ball themselves than pass it into Yao. It doesn't seem like they have a lot of confidence in the big man and/or that have too much confidence in their own abilities.

20. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

Exactly, now if the average fan can see this, why can't JVG? I'm seriously beginning to question JVG's coaching abilities. I would just feel so much better with a Larry Brown, but I guess its pointless to wonder. I think what we really need is a major overhaul. Let's face it, this team does not work; the pieces just don't fit. Either trade Yao for guys that can run and score, or trade the backcourt for proven veterans. I don't believe I am jumping the gun here. Even before the Shaq/Kobe Lakers won their titles, you could see that the pieces fit. This team just doesn't.