1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do you wish upon a Daryl Morey?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Nov 2, 2020.

?

I wish Daryl

Poll closed Nov 9, 2020.
  1. Great Success in Philly because i like Daryl

56 vote(s)
    58.3%
  2. Great Success in Philly because I hate Tilman

8 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Great failure in Philly because it's not Houston

11 vote(s)
    11.5%
  4. Who cares he's gone?

21 vote(s)
    21.9%
  1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I loved Daryl while he was here. His wild trading was great up until we finally landed James Harden. He managed to make me invested in the random scrubs we'd draft in the second round and late first. I think he overthought a lot of stuff at times and made questionable moves but he was never afraid to shuffle the decks. I'd give his tenure an 8/10. It was a lot of fun at times and a lot of frustration at others. The Rockets made the WCF twice in his tenure and greatly underachieved the following year. That's not a very normal thing to happen once much less twice, both with mostly similar rosters but a few pieces missing here and there. (Ariza in 2018 most notably).

Everyone's favorite stat is that we had the SECOND! best record during his tenure. We also were tied for the least amount of championships. His goal was a championship while here and we didn't even make the finals. 8 Teams won the championship during his tenure. He's tied with the 22 other teams for 0 championships. 5 Western Conference Teams made the finals. He's tied with the other 10 for NO appearances. 11 Teams made the WCF during his tenure including the Rockets (2X). The Lakers (4X), The Spurs (5X), The Warriors (5X), The Thunder (4X) are the only teams to make it more. The Nuggets (2X) made it the same amount. Meaning the Rockets made it Further than 9 other teams. Morey definitely made the Rockets above average during his tenure.

His biggest mistake was drafting Marcus Morris over Kawhi Leonard. I felt that from the moment it happened and never completely forgave him for it. Letting Dragic walk was another blatantly huge mistake. Everyone could see it at the time. He mostly won trades despite his love of dumping draft picks at all times. Remember the FRP we attached to Jeremy Lin to clear cap for Bosh?

I enjoyed his time here and wish he didn't leave but I sincerely hope he fails in Philly. I won't actively root against him to succeed but I definitely wouldn't care if he flames out within the first two years. Philly has a rich ownership group but these are the same guys who fired Hinkie after less than 3 full seasons. They are impatient and aren't some sort of magical ownership group.

I think he had every right to leave. I think he had every right to get another job. That doesn't mean i'm going to be happy for him after he left the team under false pretenses and I'm definitely not going to hope that he finds immediate success. Maybe in a year or two I won't feel the same way and I'll be more apathetic but for now I hope he's unable to dump the salaries of the two albatross and I hope he's hamstrung there just like he left the Rockets. Maybe if Harden gets a championship here next year I'll change my tune.

There's a significant portion of fans on twitter and on here who hope that Daryl will succeed. The overwhelming majority of these fans seem to think he had every right to leave (he does) and these fans seem to be so fixated on hating tilman (I get it) that they hope that the Rockets fail while Morey wins prom king. I guess you would also be happy for your significant other if they dumped you to take time to figure their lives out and found someone new the very next day?

Do you hope Morey succeeds? Why?

Do you hope he fails?

Do you not care?

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Okay, for one, he was never allowed to tank(that's why you see significantly less trades after the Harden deal) and then he was never allowed into luxury tax. The man has basically been working under constraints that most teams dont have, especially both of those. All your championship teams have tanked and/or gone into luxury tax.

Now, as far as rooting for Morey, yea I will do so. His sucess spiting Tillman, added bonus. But we are NOT ROOTING AGAINST THE ROCKETS. Its pretty much on a downward trend here. If we are contending team, great, if we arent....well.....yea no surprise. We are run by one of the worst owners in the league.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That's why his record is so good! He never was much below .500! That's the whole point behind that number being silly. Tanking doesn't lead to championships per se. The Warriors drafted outside of the top 5 for Steph out of the top 10 for Klay out of the first round for Draymond. The Lakers tanked and traded their assets for a player who would only go to LA. The Raptors never fully tanked. The Spurs tanked one time for Tim Duncan and they rode that for 20 years. The Heat formed a super team. Morey was good but tanking isn't a fool proof way to win a championship.

TWS1986 likes this.
  4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

2020 can burn in hell.

5. clos4life

clos4life Member

Daryl did right by Houston. He had great teams here, including a championship caliber team in 2018. He brought us James Harden. I wish him great success as I hope we beat him and the Sixers in the finals...

Unfortunately, Fertits will keep screwing up the Rockets. F him!

6. clos4life

clos4life Member

Daryl did right by Houston. He had great teams here, including a championship caliber team in 2018 that was a hamstring away. He brought us James Harden. I wish him great success as I hope we beat him and the Sixers in the finals. If we don't win, I don't mind the Sixers winning, they're an interesting team. That being said...

...Fertits will keep screwing up the Rockets. F him!

7. BigBum

BigBum Member

Philly fans are deeply concerned that Morey will trade their future first round picks for success next season and ruin their future.

tinman likes this.
  8. thedreamsteam

thedreamsteam Member

Curious how he’s doing with his much needed time off to rest and spend time with family

sirjesse and treyk3 like this.
  9. Vivi

Vivi Member

As someone who considers Daryl the best piece this franchise had in the post Hakeem era, it really hurts to see him on another team, even more considering how/why he left.

Regardless, he's not here anymore (although i already hope he'll be back someday to finish what he started in the way he deserved, hopefully without Tilman around) so, i wish the best and to win the chip as long as he won't be on our way.

topfive and TWS1986 like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Assuming this is true, Philly fans are really dumb, they got tired of Hinkie when he made them relevant in a couple of years, and when they got what they asked for (Colangelo/Brand), in the same timespan they gifted picks to Ainge, West and gave two of the very worst contracts in the league to Harris and Horfrod...lol, they don't even deserve Morey if that's the case.

11. BigBum

BigBum Member

I think Philly will be fine.

3rd seed in East and then goes second round exit next year.

4 good Managers in East
    Heat
    Celtics
    Nets
    Raptors

#11 BigBum, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  12. HP3

HP3 Member

What? There are teams that try not to tank and still end up with bad records. Like him being over 500 isnt a knock on him my guy haha. Asking to be a successful(immensely at that) without tanking isnt really likely but he did it. Keeping a competitive team with Yao and Tmac at the end of their ropes isnt an easy thing to do. Steph was drafted 7th, you dont get that good of draf picking without being bad like that. 11 round pick, they won 36 games the year before they drafted Klay. That had to be that bad to draft him. Draymond was a good pick. But they dont get Klay and Steph WITHOUT BEING BAD. Lakers tanked to get Lonzo Ball and Brandon Ingram assets used to get Anthony Davis and they certainly do no do that deal with LA if they had no assets. The Raptors were a joke before Kawhi asked out of San Antonio, nothing to with being a good GM their. Masai didnt even draft Lowry. Yea wow, the Spurs tanked to get the Greatest power forawrd of all time which led all of their championships, funny how that works. o_O The Heat formed a super team, but it was because Lebron and D Wade and Bosch decided they wanted to play together. But if you wanna play that game Dwane Wade was the 5th pick. We''ve never even had a top 10 pick.

#12 HP3, Nov 2, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    clos4life likes this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I won’t be actively rooting for him

I’m too concerned with what the Rockets have going on over here...I do enjoy watching Philly home games because of the atmosphere, but it’s not like Philly is now my 2nd team or anything close

too many people acting like Morey Only Fans after his departure, it’s been getting annoying

roxallways, fattz and treyk3 like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rooting for him without a doubt both bc Tilman is a complete idiot and Morey's damn good at what he does.

15. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I hope he does well. Unless he’s trading with Houston or we are facing them in the finals.

DonkeyMagic, HP3 and clos4life like this.
  16. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Is it wrong to wish him a lifetan ban from the GARM?

treyk3 likes this.
  17. clos4life

clos4life Member

Let the man get a tan for goodness sake!

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

As Rockets Legend, Royce White once said... #BEWELL.

(I hate Tilman also).

treyk3 likes this.
  19. juanm34

juanm34 Member

I wish he would of took The Tilman with him!!!!!

Sanctity, Corrosion and Rock Block like this.
  20. blackistan

blackistan Member

He did the best he could here if it weren’t for the Yao McGrady injuries we might’ve won a ring back then and then with cp3. Writing was on the wall once Tillman came aboard and got involved with who he wanted on the squad. Sucks that he left but I don’t blame him one bit. This team isn’t winning this year or in the future as constructed. Morey did all that he could with the opportunity he had here.

MettaWorldPete, Sanctity and YOLO like this.