1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What do people think about Bitcoin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Spooner, Jan 25, 2014.

?

What is the fate of Bitcoin?

1. Currency of the future

35.0%
  2. Passing Fad

65.0%
  1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

In my educational studies and in my career as an industrialist, I have become a leading expert in macroeconomics, geopolitics, and global trade. As our country continues to provoke and fund international war, and as we use our financial system as a weapon against adversaries, the US dollar runs the grave danger of losing its global reserve currency status. The BRIC countries, particularly Russia, are rapidly de-risking their dollar exposure... and encouraging trade in other currencies as a way to reduce America's power.

The dollar losing its reserve currency status would be the worst thing to happen to Americans' quality of life, as financial upheaval (likely hyperinflation) would occur unless the government began balancing the budget -- a political impossibility. And so America defends the US dollar's status as global reserve currency at every turn, killing those who try to diminish its value (Muammar Gaddafi in Libya is a good example). Of course, America also uses inflation as a way of diminishing the real value of its debt, this inflation doesn't turn into hyperinflation because of the global demand for dollars (reserve currency status).

If you believe it is politically impossible for the US to pay off its debts and to balance its budget, then you would be well served to invest in real assets (real estate, hard commodities, infrastructure) and cryptocurrency. Bitcoin has emerged as an accepted hedge against fiat currency depreciation. The biggest risk is the US trying to squash bitcoin's use because it threatens the dollar. But bitcoin has grown into a global currency, and even the US may struggle to take it out. Full disclosure: I am long Bitcoin and Solana. Up huge.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

66k now, on the way to 100k.

DD

3. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

• set a recurring buy (on CashApp or many other places, or buy the ETF in your retirement account)
    • STFU
    • wait 5-10 years
    • get fabulously wealthy

so simple a caveman can do it, but mentally tough not to get shaken out of your position (either you sell too early and miss most of the gains, or you capitulate during a dip and sell at a loss)

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Phase 1) It's beanie babies

Phase 2) It's not beanie babies but it'll never work

Phase 3) Everyone else is speculating on it so I will too

Phase 4) This is real and I'm going to move a significant portion of my wealth into it

Phase 5) This is the apex asset and I'm going to move 100% of my wealth into it

The trick is getting from phase 3 to phase 4 without getting rugged by doing something stupid like buying sh1tcoins or using custodians.

5. Xcellerator

Xcellerator Member

Already at 68k, breaking ATH now

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's the point of appreciation and speculation if the goal is to HODL for decades?

I am still not going to buy and hold bitcoins until I can use them for actual day to day or even month to month transactions. But I am concerned about the stability of fiat currency as a whole over the next decade.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I think we all need a moment of silence to appreciate @Commodore here.

Invisible Fan and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Why would you wait to buy bitcoin after it becomes a premium bond? And why would you wait to buy bitcoin just to use it as a currency when you can use the strongest currency on the planet.
    The smart people in bitcoin have come to the conclusion Bitcoin is not the best currency. The USD is and its not going anywhere

Sajan and Ubiquitin like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

GOOD post.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

This.

Don't fight momentum. If there's money to be made, make it. Who cares where BTC will be in 10 years?
    I would rather make money along the way than sit on the sidelines to prove a point or whether I believe it's a useful thing or not.
    I made the mistake of not getting into some stocks because I was too busy arguing about fundamentals and what it's truly worth. doesn't matter. if a herd of people think it's worth more, then that's what it's worth.

To quote clay davis from the wire: i take any fools money if they giving it away...

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

If this is your attitude, then what would you buy instead?

Every other asset on the planet carries greater risk and less utility than BTC.

12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Stocks, Bonds, and Real Estate. I am reassured there is a 100 trillion dollar market (https://www.statista.com/statistics/274490/global-value-of-share-holdings-since-2000/) for converting stocks and bonds into government backed spendable fiat currency.

Who is to say any of these are going to be worth anything in 30 years though.

13. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

None of those things can you transact with. So I'm not sure why you're holding bitcoin to that standard.

You can convert BTC into USD quicker and easier than those things, too.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  14. Sajan

Sajan Member

15. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

We're gonna hit an ATH a month before the halving.

I don't think yall realize just how insane and unprecedented this is.

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

rule of thumb for anything, when your average coworker and uncle on facebook talks about it, get out.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

shitcoins like Solana are tailgating Bitcoin with juicy degenerate gains. When coffee doesn't cut it and meth is always there for you :D

19. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

P much.

The shitcoin market reminds me of how with every generational innovation you have a whole host of knockoffs that try to coattail ride.

Electricity, radio, TV, space exploration, internet.... everybody apes the big new thing trying to get a piece of the action.

Everybody finds out eventually why Bitcoin is different and sometimes that lesson is very expensive.

Sell me your BTC. I'll take it.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

A 4x plus gain in the run up since last year is why shitcoins will follow.

Greed has been good as long as you don't mistake it as skill. :D