1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What city without a pro team deserves one?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Xerobull, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Note: I consider NBA, NFL, MLB and NHL (Barely considering their management the past couple of years) pro sports teams for this subject. MLS still has a little way to go, and don't even bring up the WNBA.

I brought this up in another thread, but I thought it deserved it's own. I think there's a huge discrepancy in the distribution of Pro sports teams vs current city population in the U.S.

I think this is because 20-30 years ago, city population centers were different, or at least, more reginal. Fast forward to today, and cities like Austin have passed up cities like Seattle, which have 2-3 pro teams.

According to this list, there are several up-and-coming cities with no pro sports presence, such as Austin and Columbus. I also think that Mexico City should be considered due to it's size and position geographicly.

Here's my list:

1. Austin- Could easily support any type of team. I don't see them getting a NBA team due to politics within the NBA- the Spurs would argue that Austin is part of their 'market', although I think this is total crap.

2. Mexico City- Size and location. I think this place is ripe for a MLB team. Given the gigantic population, I think they could find 40k people for home games at comporable pricing to mid-market MLB teams.

3. Oklahoma- some OK city, although it looks like the NBA will be moving there soon anyway.

as for Columbus, Las Vegas, etc...I don't know too much about these cities or just don't trust them to support a team.

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Oklahoma City certainly showed that it deserves an NBA team. If the Marlins move, they should either move to Austin or Brooklyn (the places with the best minor league support). Vegas has too much other entertainment to support sports teams.

3. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Uh, doesn't Columbus have a NHL team?

Furthermore, that is a terrible population ranking list to use. You act like the Austin Metro/Media Market is larger than Seattle, which is absoluely not true. The size of the main cities doesn't make a difference, it's the metro population. Austin isn't even close to sniffing the metro population of most cities with pro sports teams (including Seattle).

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

In terms of baseball and football, I'd say that Houston definetely deserves one of each.

5. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Austin could certainly support a major team but will have a tough fight because of political reasons - Cowboys, Spurs, Astros, etc.

No way Vegas will get one because of the gambling scare.

The next sports team will probably come from some southern city.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Las Vegas: They deserve one despite the gambling done there.

Oklahoma City: The people there showed that they would definitely be supportive.

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Yeah, the Blue Jackets.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Borough of Brooklyn, NY.

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

From a financial standpoint, Vegas is an obvious choice, but I just don't see a league moving there with the gambling element. I imagine it might be tough to control players who play there as well. The NBA was the most likely choice to move there until this ref gambling scandal.

I think Oklahoma City is on the map thanks to their support of the Hornets. I just can't see Austin getting a team prior to San Antonio, who seems to constantly be lobbying for baseball or football. Austin may be able to support a team, but the city government doesn't have a vested interest in doing it and I can't imagine UT would be thrilled with the competition for corporate and ticket dollars.

10. playlife

playlife Member

Columbus has a hockey and soccer pro team but both teams suck. So no one goes to their games. I think they should have a good pro team from NBA, NFL or MLB. There will be enough support for good teams. Look at Ohio-state's football team, the stadium is packed every game (100,000 people) and also the basketball games this year.

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

UT runs Austin, they are big business.

The city does not want a pro team to compete with them...that is why we get all the minor league teams.

Heck, they even turned down a AAA team, and it had to go to Round Rock to make it work.

Austin is not going to get a pro team anytime soon.

DD

12. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

I just don't see Austin supporting a pro team as much as other cities...since essentially they already have their version of a pro team in UT.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

no doubt. if some would argue that the new york area has enough pro franchises, i would counter by saying that not only is the BK mutually exclusive of manhattan, but it is virtually a country unto itself. however, we will be getting an NBA franchise soon and we have the freaking cyclones.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Austin will never have a major professional sports team. As DaDa said, UT runs this town. It would be impossible to get any kind of stadium/arena built. There's a reason the Express play in Round Rock and not Austin. The voters shot down a downtown stadium back in the late 90's. IIRC, it wasn't even close.

15. BALLhog 247 365

i think louisville, ky is a candidate as well

16. 12 Tone Melody

Birmingham, Alabama--at least all the new football leagues seem to try get in there

17. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

There are enough pro sports teams...

18. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Why didn't I know San Jose was more populous than San Francisco... Its mind boggling...

San Francisco needs a basketball team. I don't care if they are Golden State fans. It would be a fun rivalry. Its in the NFL and Majors.

San Antonio could use a baseball team.

Vancouver? ...

#18 WhoMikeJames, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i think it would be kind of cool to get something here in austin. but i dont think it will happen. at least in the next 10 years.

at some point though this city may become big enough to where it would just make no sense not to have one.

20. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Billings, Montana