1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What can harden work on this offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, May 13, 2019.

1. amaru

amaru Member

True, there isn't a perfect option. It's up to Tilman and the FO to address the coaching issue and I feel that until this issue is addressed we will continue to have the same result on the floor. There are other issues with the team to be sure, but championship caliber teams don't have such glaring issues with the head coach.

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I felt like what slowed him down was that he had his floater and stepback taken away. Normally that strat wouldn't work for other teams outside of the Bucks and the Jazz because of the Bucks length and Gobert's length. I agree more that he should work on a mid range shot if the 3 and floater both get taken away like they did.

In any case I trust James to figure it out. He has gotten better every season since that first WCF appearance for him as a Rocket. The next year he carried the damn team on iso and mid range and squeaked them into the 8th seed. The next season he dominated as a point guard. The next season he improved enough to win MVP. This season he became a stepback and iso god and carried this team to a top 4 seed when it looked like we would be borderline 8th seed. This is also the first playoffs where he has looked really consistent compared to years past minus a few ugly games in Utah where that unorthodox strat ****ed him up.

Hard_foul likes this.
  3. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Interested to watch harden playing in FIBA come early August with team USA.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Rest, party then keep doing a great job with being in elite shape.

5. jowman

jowman Member

If he wants to win he should work to get traded. Houston is headed for mediocrity for next 3 years with no chance to improve.

Reeko likes this.
  6. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

- Reducing turnovers
    - Moving his feet on defense
    - Being the man in the playoffs

Harden is a tremendous player and statistically an absolute phenomenal offensive powerhouse. He's improved his defensive contributions, but can still get better.

Morey's trade for him was frankly incredible.

With that said, he needs more help. He's got the next 2-4 years (maybe longer) to compete at the highest level. He should have had his first championship last year, but like the MVP Trophy, maybe he has to wait a few years for the right conditions to get the chip.

In any case, James thanks for what you do--some great memories from 2018-19 season. Getting to watch your greatness with my kids is one of my small joys in this world. I wish it could have been a better ending, but that's life.

Zboy likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think he should give it 1 more year, and then if the usual happens, he should demand a trade and go team up with 1 or 2 other elite players like all these other superstars have been doing if he cares at all about winning a ring

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Give up on isolation basketball; it doesn't work when playing elite teams.

9. Zergling

Zergling Member

Sure, he can improve more, but here's some much needed context:

One thing I'd like to see is less of those plays where he just stands 35 feet from the basket and takes the play completely off. Maybe by posting him up more, we force him to stay involved every possession

Zboy likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The one thing I'd like to see is pushing the pace …. no more walking it up. Attack defenses before they have a chance to get set / match up & get some easy buckets.
    If they are set , just pick and roll with your big early in the shot clock, if it doesn't work , pull it out and run it again.

If you are going to search out favorable matchups by picking , do it faster / earlier in the clock …. and get down hill.

Also , when he's off the ball …. get involved , post up , set a pick …. something. Just don't stand at the timeline. He really cant take plays off

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have one question ….

How do you plan to acquire any of those free agents with nothing but the T-MLE and veterans minimums ?

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And people think something is wrong with the Rockets ? That team just has an embarrassment of riches …. They posted a 73 win season before Durant or Cousins.

The fact that the Rockets had them on the ropes last season and played them tough as nails this time around says a lot about the character of this team.

13. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Harden needs to reconstruct his mindset.

14. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

LMAO

Rockets fans are so good at finding excuses.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

That's arguably the greatest assembly of talent in the history of the league. It's not an excuse - The Warriors are just better but that's not taking anything at all away from the Rockets …. they are damn good , just not as good as the best team in league history.

That aint excuses , that's just the facts.

This years series against the Warriors was the first in league history where every game was decided by 6 or fewer points.

16. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Curry and Klay are becoming basketball God in Clutchfans all of sudden. Lol.

17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I guess you forgot

Curry 2x League MVP 6x allstar
    Durant League MVP 2x Finals MVP , 10x Allstar
    Iggy Finals MVP , Allstar , All Defense First team
    Thompson 5x Allstar
    Green 3x allstar , DPOY , 3x all defense first team
    Cousins -4x Allstar

18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

James Harden has been disappearing in the Playoffs since the Finals OKC vs Heat

There was a lot of backlash on Harden when he was the 6th man and couldn't get it done in scoring and passing.

In a Interview he said "If I had to do it all over again I would be more aggressive"

Well nothing has changed, he is more passive aggressive.

PeterKingX likes this.
  19. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

It is on Morey to clear contracts of Chris Paul, Eric Gordon, Clint Capela

If he can make Ryan Anderson disappear anything is possible, Morey is a NBA 2K Trader

20. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Great post. We didn’t get it done in the end. But you’re completely right; that’s life. When you allow yourself to keep things in perspective like this there is nothing that can rob you of enjoying the experience. This season provided some great memories.

Shark44 likes this.