1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We should have gone after Harpring

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Dec 9, 2002.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I know I brought this up earlier, but DARN he is good. He would have been a great addition to this team at the 3 spot.

.504% shooting...... 6' 8", moves without the ball.

He is a good player, and I wish he were a Rocket.

DaDakota

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I brought up the same thing. Some people laughed it off when I said that Harpring could average 15 to 20 ppg and Harpring is a good defender. I would have signed Harpring for a year, used a SF rotation of him and Rice until Nachbar and Morris develop, and Nachbar and Morris would then be our SF combo of the future.

3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

i have to say i was one of the persons who didn't want harpring.
    i thought he just had a nice shot,but he was not a good player.
    o knew he worked hard,but i thought he just 'didn't had the talent to be a starter for us, and i thought with a healthy rice and Nachber and morris there wasn't room for him.
    i admit i would like to have him on our team.

i'll admit :eek: :mad: :eek: :( i was wrong:(

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I recently got into a debate on the Mavs board about Harpring. Someone over there suggested they pick him up before he signed with Utah. A few replies said he was merely a shooter, and was soft down low.

My opinion was that he is a tough player down low on the glass, and really hustles and muscles for rebounds. I hate it when a guy is branded soft when he has a nice jumpshot.

Harpring does a lot more than hit perimeter shots.

5. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the fact that he is white is another reason why he is branded as soft. I would have loved to have gotten Matt. I always appreciate a guy who hustles and can sink a 3 point shot. He would have fit right into our system.

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Harpring was too expensive for us considering the luxary tax. We were not looking for anyone with our MCE except for Rashard and we didn't even really go for him either.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Always liked him, Keon, too. But, the cupboard is bare.

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Interesting to see if Harpring can keep it up, seems to be one of those guys who makes a big impact in his first season with his new team and then fades if he stay, nevertheless he plays tough.

9. AMS_blackwidow

i personally was never a fan of Matt Harpring... btw wasnt he the one named as the most average NBA player... well hes proving that wrong FAst

10. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

I saw him play a bunch of times in Philly, and he looked awful. Now he is playing great with the Jazz. I can't believe how good he is doing. He looked bad in Philly.

11. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

This comment reminds me of Donyell Marshall. That guy kicked ass in Golden State, then began to suck. Then he got to Utah, resurged, and faded again. Now he's playing for Chicago, and I have this horrible feeling that by the end of the year he'll be sucking again.

Why is it that some players do that? I don't get it.

12. DaDakota

Karl Malone was asked about why Matt was playing so well, and he said...

"Because when he passes the ball, we pass it back."

AI...we talkin bout PRACTICE MAN !!

DD

13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I think the Jazz's system makes SF players look better than they really are...

Anderson
    Eisley
    Marshal
    Harpring?

All have shown great potential to be good support scorers, but afterwards on other teams they slump back to mediocre proportions.

Credit that to Jerry Sloan's passing and patient system, and Karla's presence.

14. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Eisley is a PG....probably hasn't logged a minute his whole career at SF. Anderson played some minutes there...but he and Russell took turns at 2-3. Maybe Russell is a good example too.

Harpring has been a solid player his whole career in the NBA. Sure, he's had some ups and downs, but when he logs decent minutes, he produces.

He was Cleveland's 2nd leading rebounder last year too.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Shandon looked good in a Jazz uni, as have others -- who have looked less NBA starlike without Mr Shortpants and the coach, Oscar the Grouch.

Harpering actually reminds me of Croshere without the contract but with p/t.

16. DaDakota

Funny how this looks more and more relevant today.

Harpring is a stud on a team that plays smart ball and moves it around....perhaps you guys are right....that is not what the Rockets do.....too bad !!

:(

DaDakota

17. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

I'm really impressed with Harpring's rebounding. He has a couple of double-digit rebound games and half of those are on the offensive end. He also has 3 point range.

But since we have those idiot contracts, I don't think we could have afforded him.

18. Panda

Panda Member

I wanted Harpring too. Harpring played football. He is very strong due to those football training. He's a tough player. He's more substance than flash and a very nice role player, wish we could get him. Well, we ended up with Posey which isn't shabby at all.

19. MC Welk

MC Welk Member

That's because in Philly he would just stand around and watch AI until there were a couple of ticks left on the clock and he'd have to force a jumper (if he got the ball at all).

In Orlando, they want guys to stand behind the 3-point line and wait for the kickout (à la Pat Garrity) which is also not Harpring's game.

With the Jazz, he has finally found a system that suits his all-around above-average game, and it is fun to watch. I don't know if you remember, but he was simply AWESOME in college in a tough conference (ACC).

BTW- he would not fit in the Houston system (dribble penetration, picks deemphasized). Posey, however, should eventually be pimp when they put Rice out to pasture.

20. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

He's fundamentally sound and he works hard which is why he's a perfect fit for the Jazz. If you hustle after loose balls and you know how to pass, come off picks, and shoot, you will be excelent for the Jazz. There is no way he would be having this kind of season on any team other than the Jazz which is not a knock on him, it's just that he's not the type of guy that creates for himself. In fact, no one on the Jazz really creates for themselves, they all create for each other by setting picks and making the right passes and dribbling to the right spots on the floor.