1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we need Hidalgo on the Stros!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jiggadi, Nov 23, 2003.

1. rockets688

rockets688 Member

I understand what you're saying, but I think people are angry because McLane refuses to sign that last free agent that would have put us over the edge. We needed 2 wins to close out the NL Central...Woody Williams had 15....tough to argue with that, man....

2. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

did you forget about Jeff Kent?

3. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Sure, and that's fine for someone like Bonds who is a power hitter. For Hidalgo, however, power does not equal hitting.

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Former Governor Bill Clements?

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Hidalgo has a major problem in he is not a clutch hitter. I don't know if it's nerves or trying too hard, but you need your high paid hitters to drive in run in big games.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Yeah, him too ;)

Having the largest payroll in baseball has not helped the Yankees the last two years, but I am sure that the Astros would not suffer a similar fate.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

RH is fine against 4 and 5 hurlers. 1 and 2s own him, as do closers and better set up men.

8. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Did he play lead guitar in one of the songs at ZZ Top's concert at the Toyota Center? ;)

9. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I guess you just totally disregard the fact that he is a terrible clutch performer. He disappeared in the last homestand of the year, and sucked in the 2001 playoffs.

The guy has a great arm and had a great season up until the games counted the most. This is not the type of player I want on my favorite baseball team.

Art V nailed it.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

He does kind of strike out alot in the bigger more important games doesn't he?

11. Buck Turgidson

He hit .344 in September.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

But for the last 2 series when we were fighting for a position, he was 4 for 21 (.190). And it my be just me, but it seems like he doesn't perform with men unless the game is already decided.

13. Zac D

Zac D Contributing Member

Ha ha!

14. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

For you guys saying he is not a clutch hitter why dont we insert him higher in the lineup like the 3rd or 4th spot and see how he does in "clutch" situations...I guess the guys we already have in those spots are just untouchable...

Is it really all his fault when he has a couple of jokers batting after him?

15. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

oopps. Should be men on base. English was my worstest skill, but I speach it gooder now.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

so did jeriome robertson...

17. stubbyc

stubbyc Member

First of all Wagner is not the best closer in the league, that would be Gagne. After Gagne comes Rivera and after Rivera comes Smoltz. Wagner is the 4th best closer.

This was a salary dump because we still owe Bagwell 60-70 million dollars. Considering it was a salary dump we got a lot. 2 good prospects and Duckworth.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Ill go with Gagne
    Smoltz
    BILLY G
    then Mariano

19. Major

Major Member

For you guys saying he is not a clutch hitter why dont we insert him higher in the lineup like the 3rd or 4th spot and see how he does in "clutch" situations...I guess the guys we already have in those spots are just untouchable...

Is it really all his fault when he has a couple of jokers batting after him?

The guy hitting behind him - Ensberg - was substantially better in the clutch, with phenoms such as Brad Ausmus and Adam Everett hitting behind him.

Oops, damn those facts again.

Hidalgo's primary job on this team was to drive in runs, and he was pretty damn bad at it. His average is highest with no one one, drops substantially with man on first, and drops even more with runners in scoring position.

20. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Look, you guys are forgetting the fact that Hidalgo probably won at least 4-5 games with his defense and arm. On top of that, Doggie had a killer year and worked his ass off to improve when he was in the middle of a contract, he did it for the Astros and pride. Most of the time Doggie came up in situations where they are not going to pitch to him because he has Pussmuss behind him. They know Everett is an average hitter (admittedly he is vastly improving) behind Pussmuss, he is not a power hitter/RBI man. They always pitched around Doggie in those situations to get an easier out in those two. Jiggadi is right, put Doggie in the 3 spot and Bagwell at 5-6 and see what happens. Think about it...

:rolleyes: :p