1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

we need Hidalgo on the Stros!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jiggadi, Nov 23, 2003.

1. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

Listen guys I been partying tonight. I am not going to lie to you.

But anyway. I want to express my feelings about the Stros. Just talking as a fan who is probably biased towards are own players.

for example I always want to see Bagwell, Biggio and of course the old school guys from the playoff years who are still here. I have a lot of admiration for those guys.

So Im asking for you guys to let the astros marketing dept know or whoever that we are upset about some things...
    Were pissed becuase the best closer in the league and in the city of Houston was allowed to be sent somewhere else!:mad: I mean comeone we sent him to freakin Philly. Thats Wrong!

I don't want to hear about the financial situations any more. If they are claiming to have kept players for these lenths of time for the fans is true. I believe it.

But guess what If you let the most constant player on the team go. Who was almost nearly perfect this year then we have problems. Something huge better happen for us to let Wagner go...
    I want us to keep Hidalgo. AND what I'm hoping for is the Astros are getting the word about our website and have people lurking here. The Rockets have someone here representing. Thats proof.

Those guys need to hear about this. We need to keep Hidalgo in Houston!

Party On! Go Rockets Go Astros!

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

That's funny... I too was thinking about Richard Hidalgo when I was partying tonight.:D

3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Well I am back from my partying tonight. I think its almost 3:30am.

I too hope we keep Hidalgo. The guy was fantastic last season, he was so deadly with the out field assists.

I do hope we get Pettit though too.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Were you this passionate about Hidalgo after the 2001 and 2002 seasons?

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

jiggadi, you are a madman. when you stole that cow? and your friend tried to make it with the cow? i wanna party with you.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

It doesn't matter what you did in the past. It matters what have you done for me lately. And hildago has done some stuff. Lot's of players blossom late.

7. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Blossom late? Hidalgo hit 44 home runs 3 years ago. Then had 2 mediocre seasons. Then bounced back with a solid season. You don't know which Hidalgo is gonna show up next year.

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

He blossomed 3 years ago, yes, but wilted after that and showed signs last year of blossoming again.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The man got shot then he got better... Reminds me of the Paul Pierce story somewhat.

10. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I think most fans can agree they like Hidalgo, just not his salary. If getting rid of Hidalgo can bring us a legitimate stud starter that can throw more than 6 innings than i won't miss Doggie and his non clutch hitting one bit.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Why not Weaver. With NJohnson, for Doggie???!!!

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

Weaver isn't exactly the pitcher i'd hope for, but i would still make the trade. The only problem is it looks like the Yanks will be getting Shefield to play right field.

The way i see it, Doggie isn't going anywhere with his salary. Hidalgo fans can relax now.

13. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Doesn't Weaver have some serious attitude problems?

14. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

Hidalgo will contribute solidly, I can guarantee it. Most of the statements about Hidalgo's decline in skill and production are made in ignorance. So let's get this straight, once and for all.

Hidalgo was signed to a HUGE contract after his monster season. In an attempt to please Astros management and to show that he was worthy of the money, Hidalgo spent the entire off-season in the weight room, trying to bulk up and produce even better offensive numbers. The only problem was that with his increase in muscle, he lost a great deal of his mobility and flexibilty at the plate, which had a largely detrimental effect on his performance the next two seasons. During the offseason before this one, Hidalgo made it known that he would abstain from weightlifting the entire winter, and mainly work on regaining that flexibilty that he had lost. He did so, came back, and had a fantastic season.

The "real" Hidalgo is here to stay. The only question is whether management has enough sense to make sure he stays in Houston.

15. rockets688

rockets688 Member

Sure, mobility behind the plate has been compromised and what not, but hitting a ball is hitting a ball. If what you're saying is true, then Barry Bonds must have SUCKED after the year he put on 15 pounds of muscle.

I remember something about him hitting 74 home runs...

Hidalgo did not hit the ball for two years and that's that. A risk is worth taking if you can afford to lose. We cannot afford to pour money down the drain as we did for two seasons. Sorry doggy, its over. Now if could find some way to take his arm and stitch it to Jason Lane's body...hmmmmmmm..........

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

The Astros histroy should tell you NO they have enough sense

17. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

:rolleyes:

18. jiggadi

jiggadi Contributing Member

O.K. Guys I'm back @ work today. Now that I've read my post and some of your responses makes me even more biased towards wanting to keep Hidalgo. But unfortunately I don't think it will happen...:(

I'd love to get a solid pitcher too. But I really feel like we are going to be giving up a lot in the outfield without him. And thats what really worries me. I am just going to hope for the best...And continue to party! :D

19. red

red Contributing Member

since no one else mentioned it...great work Ric.

20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

And Clements should be talked out of retirement and signed. And ARod should be traded for. Nothing less or I will not be officially happy with the Astros.