1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a Point Guard!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Nov 12, 2022.

?

Do you think we need a new point guard or keep KPJ as our point guard?

1. Keep KPJ

15 vote(s)
    19.0%
  2. Trade for a Point Guard

64 vote(s)
    81.0%
  1. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

This team has talent but we need a point guard. Without a point guard you do not have a leader on this team. A good point guard will not turn the ball over and will pass the ball to your Star players. Porter is a good player who can average 18 to 20 points a game but he is not a point guard. We need a leader to help us win close games. We need a leader to help develop our young players. We need a point guard to play with Green, Porter and Green does not play well with together. The point guard is suppose to secure the ball during the game, not averaging almost more turnovers than assists. The point guard is suppose to help us win close game because he is a leader of the team. Porter been in the league for 4 years and been experimenting as a point guard for 3 years and it is not working. General Manager Stone we need a point guard.

2. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

i was just thinking we could use a new thread about whether KPJ is the PG of the future.

jacoby, tycoonchip, javal_lon and 7 others like this.
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Am I making the one for tomorrow or are you?

4. fattz

fattz Member

Trust the process.

tycoonchip, PatBev, DaDakota and 2 others like this.
  5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Point guard?

tycoonchip likes this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Let’s create a new thread with a poll asking who should make the next new KPJ thread.

Once we know the results of that poll, I’ll create a new thread with a poll on the topic:
    * KPJ should be PG or 6th man?
    * KPJ should be traded or cut?
    * KP J or KM J - who’s the best Junior?
    * KPJ is Sengun’s personal nemesis or a general Antichrist?
    * KPJ is Silas’s lovechild or his lover?

so much material to go through…. Threads and polls for days.

Rokman, peleincubus and Plowman like this.
  7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I love KPJ as a player, but you’ll never win turning the ball over like that.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

We need a lot of things.. I love KPJ the basketball player. I think a point forward would be perfect tbh. Like a Ben Simmons type, just one that can shoot a lil and isn’t a coward. That we’ll have defensive versatility and KPJ can move off ball

9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Trade or release KPJ. Either draft a pg or acquire a vet. Just like Wood KPJ hasn’t been it isn’t it and will never be it. I don’t mind us losing but keeping a player around and trying to build and groom him who isn’t starting material is futile. Exhausting and frustrating watching something like this since it stunts the growth of green and others. The ball should be in 2 players hands for the most part. Green and Sengun.

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somebody NEEDS to do something

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Honestly, we just need KPJ to stop with the iso possessions.

One thing we have seen Green do is adapt. He is more than happy to get North and South and pass when he should.

Need more of that from KPJ. Get North and South, enough with the James Harden lite possessions.

HP3, Futron, albuster and 1 other person like this.
  12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Silas could start by trotting out a starting lineup with Porter on the bench, and bring him in as the off-guard when Jalen takes a blow. Odds of that happening? Close to zero.

Mr. Stone? Have you been watching the games? Considering dealing for a starting caliber point guard? My guess is that he’s dreaming of a high pick in next summer’s draft and is happy with our record. Who knows? Might be a good strategy, except for one thing. Watching Porter as our starting point is painful in the extreme for many of us. Certainly for me.

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Wish we had found a way to deal for Halliburton last year.

Honestly at this point why not give TyTy a shot. It’s not like anyone else on our roster can run the court, and it’s not like we are contending this year. Nix is averaging 2 assists to 1.5 turnovers. Please stop playing him. Let’s see what we have in TyTy.

this PG quandary is something many of us have been raising for some time. Others seem to think it doesn’t matter - just throw your 5 best players out there. Obviously that’s misguided. PG’s still make a difference, especially on a young team like ours. or at least have a combo guard that can run the floor, facilitate and knock down open shots (maybe TyTy could be this).

kPJ can gets his own shot and knock down shots, but he can’t facilitate or run the court worth sh#t. Some folks point to good assist numbers but if you watch the games, those assists are tangential to scoring, they are not facilitating the scoring. Most of the time it’s still 1-1 iso ball with guys standing around. Yes Silas try’s to get them to move the ball around but apparently we are not good at that.

Tyus Jones should have gotten more consideration as a FA target this offseason. There doesn’t appear to be any good value PG’s in the 2023 class. And it doesn’t make sense to overpay for DeAngelo Russell.

#13 Aruba77, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
    Deckard and peleincubus like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

We already have one. He only plays 10-12 minutes a game.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Something needs to be done by somebody.

King1 likes this.
  16. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m not ready to pull the plug on KPJ, but I do agree we would benefit from an elite playmaker. KPJ is a good enough general player that there’s definite value in keeping him in the guard mix.

fattz likes this.
  17. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

trade deadline... or next off season when we have the cap room...
    sliding kpj to 6th man...

18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

KPJ should move to EGs role as bench scorer once EG has moved on.

If someone wants KPJ in trade for the PG you want, fine, but you don't HAVE to move KPJ to open space for a PG.

19. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I'll be the first to admit, he needs to be more consistent but we forget the game he had of 20 pts , 11 assists and 1 turnover or how he finished the last 10 games of last yr or the 50 pt game he had. Give it time.

Many teams have given up on players too early and later regretted it. Unlike many NBA players who have played their positions since Middle school, this is a new position for him.

Remember, he just started playing PG a yr and half ago.

#19 hlmbasketball, Nov 13, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2022
  20. fattz

fattz Member

I feel for Porter because I see his efforts he is so out of position. A real point guard is a lot to defend against. He is tasked to do things he just can’t. I also liked him not letting himself get punked in the closing moment.