1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We MUST trade Glen Rice?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sir Geving, Jun 15, 2003.

1. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

I'm not sure but...
    Isn't it so that we are well over the cap limit, so that we got no use for the cap relief that Rice gives us when his contract is up?
    Other teams are very interested in the cap relief he can give them. So wouldn't it be pretty stupid if we didn't pull of a trade involving him and some other players. The players we can get in return may be much better than Rice.

We know Miami and Atlanta are interested and I was thinking that we should give Griffin a chance to show Van Gundy that he is improvong his game and making progress. And if Van Gundy don't think Griffin got what it takes, Houston trades him and Rice for Brian Grant. There were rumours about Houston trading for Eddie Jones, but I believe there have been rumours about Brian Grant also, they got similar contracts that Miami would like to get rid of. Brian Grant is a player who I think is Van Gundy style. Tough defender, good rebounder doesn't demand many touches. He could possibly be just what the doctor ordered for Houston. He got a HUGE contract that Miami would be thrilled to dump on Hoston. Still I think it would work both ways.

Is it so that it would be stupid not trading Rice?
    And what about trading Rice and Griffin for Grant, reasonable?

2. Nautic

Nautic Member

Totally agree.

3. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Glen Rice might be a valuable veteran commodity for us off the bench this year.

Dude can still drop 3 bombs left and right.

4. adrian

adrian Member

Rice's contract comes to an end after the 03/04 season, his salary slot will be valuable when trying to sign an impact free agent in the summer of 04.

AC

5. Sir Geving

Sir Geving Contributing Member

You are sure that we aren't over the cap limit even if Rice contract is up? Because I think with Steve Francis, Cato and Mo-T's big contracts, we won't have cap space to sign another maximum wage FA. We can only sign players who accepts the mid level exception. And Les will also have to pay for YAO's max contract when his time comes up, so I don't think we are going to sign any major FA in the summer of 04. Or am I wrong?

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

<i>Rice's contract comes to an end after the 03/04 season, his salary slot will be valuable when trying to sign an impact free agent in the summer of 04.
    </i>

We're far enough over the cap, that even with Rice's $9M coming off the payroll, we won't be able to afford anybody over the MCE. Remember, cap space goes by total salary, NOT by salary slots. i.e if you're $6M over the cap and a $9M contract, expires, then you've got $3M in cap space.

7. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

The Rox will still be at or over the salary cap level due to Francis's max contract extention. They will not have major FA money in the summer of 2004 even if Rice stays in Houston this season.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Alright - an aelliott sighting...looks like things have finally "thinned out" enough for some articulate input....

Or is it just renewed interest from the Van Gundy signing? ;)

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

well if les is serious about not wanting to go over, or at least very far over, the luxury tax level (if the luxury tax is ever even implemented), and i have no problem if he thinks that way, then keeping rice and losing his 9 million is the way to go. if we trade him and then have another $9 million on the payroll, to go with steve's extension, mo/cato/moochie, and a possible griffin extension, we may pass the projected luxury tax and thus have to get rid of someone. if we don't care about the luxury tax limit, then i guess trading rice is fine to acquire talent. of course, it would be nice to lose that big contract, then lose moochie/mo/cato's eventually and cut a lot of fat and just have like cuttino/yao/eg/steve signed and dedicate everything else to quality role players, not overpaid ones.

10. declan32001

declan32001 Member

Rice does have some value to us this year, in more ways than one. We'll have opportunities to get younger/more productive players with longer contracts. It's going to happen. Doesn't Rice make 5 million this year? You'd think there's someone out there in that salary range we'd want.

11. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

If Rice comes to camp FAT (due to his nagging injuries or not), he should be considered for trade.

But if he rededicates himself and trims down, he would still be valuable; our only shooter.

12. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The thing with Rice is he can play the Steve Kerr of the Rockets, but the problem is that he should be spot duty. When Glen is playing 20 minutes or night for your team, the team probably isn't that good. As good and as consistent as he is, he's a spot player or designated shooter. 10- 15 minutes a night should be max for Rice, not 20 plus because of his very poor defense and rebounding. As much as i would like to trade him, unless i could get a real good piece to the puzzle, i wouldn't trade him because of the cap relief we'll get next season.

13. Band Geek Mobster

Just thought I'd remind you guys that we played our best basketball when Glen Rice was playing well. If we got rid of him, we'd have 0 true shooters...

14. DavidS

True.

I've also wanted Rice to take a step back too; from the line.

That would give him more space, and only the greats can shoot from the OLD 3 point line.

15. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I've been saying Brian Grant is the perfect fit for Houston for some time. I'd love to see that trade made.

16. DavidS

I've mentioned that before, but someone brought up his huge contract; salary caps.

17. t0mb0mb15

t0mb0mb15 Member

We should just keep him he knows JVG system. AND spend the $$$ for 2004-05 season. IF any contract to get rid of is Cato makes to much for a backup but did great i thought last year. BUT not worth the price. same thing with tay (NO D). MAybe move cato to PF. I do not know how quick he is. WHat do ya'll think?

18. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

12 mill a yr for the next 6 yrs for a 32 yr old pf in Grant? No thanks, they can keep that. Riley the gm sucks big time. He tried to give 100mill to J Howard, but someway washington matched and was overturned. He game max money to a role player in Eddie Jones when he had a more explosive scorer in mashburn. They can keep Jones and Grant.

19. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Originally posted by DavidS [/i]
    But if he's FAT what team in their right mind will want him? Why should they take our rejects?

In this division, one shooter is not enough to get us past SA, Sac & Dallas - all teams who play better ball than the Rockets.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cap purposes.