1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watt/Clowney: Same side or opposite

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by houstonstime, Jun 12, 2014.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Ive seen/heard reports of trying out Clowney and Watt on the same side OLB/DE and on opposite sides OLB/DE. Any thoughts as to which would be more effective? Overloading one whole side or coming in from both?

2. Wapzoe

Wapzoe Member

Is Clowney definitely playing OLB?

3. Smook

Smook Member

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I'm sure they'll move JJ around to give different looks.

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

That's the theme of OB and Crennel. Flexibility and variety. An OC can look at our personnel but won't know what side the players will like up at or will see Clowney and won't know if we're lining up in a 3 man front with him at OLB or a 4 man front with him at DE.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

With both, you would assuredly have a collapse of one side. LOL.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think you're right, one of the best things about Clowney is his versatility, it's what really put him above other guys like Mack. You can line him up pretty much anywhere on the line and he'll still be effective, same goes for Watt. Since they can move around anywhere it makes it pretty tough on the offense.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Probably not. You'd be weaker on one side, but it's not like Mercilus is bad. He's not as good as we'd want him to be being a former 1st rounder, but he's not bad.

But the point of playing both on one side is that in passing situations, they can overwhelm one side of the line. Play them on opposite sides and they'll probably be going against both OTs. Put them on the same side and then they're probably going against a tackle and a guard or a tackle and a TE. Yeah, the OT on the other side will probably get less of a challenge, but it's going to be easier for Clowney or Watt to beat an OG or TE on the other side.

10. Remii

Remii Member

The schematics change if they run any 4 down sets in passing situations IMO... They could put both J.J. and Clowney in the middle so neither one of them would have to face an OT, both on the outside with two of the big boys in the middle, J.J. on the inside with Whitney and Clowney on the outside, same side, different stunts, etc.

I've heard many say they would play a lot of nickel and it's a possibility if they do it could be with 4 down D-linemen.

11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That is what I was implying:grin:

I see where I confused you there though. Mercy improved last year against the run, but I have a feeling they would keep Reed on that side.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

They'll be all over the place and Clowney will play on the 1st level a ton out of base. Also remember Clowney is probably the superior run defender compared to Merciless who still sucks at it.

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Im leaning towards them being on opposite sides would be best. Even mercilus on same side with watt is scary (moreso than with Reed on his side) and If nix is put at NT that leads to a thinned out offensive line with either Watt or clowney going one on one and a wide open gap for Cushing to destroy some runningbacks

14. RubyRubyRooo!

RubyRubyRooo! Member

They would be better at opposite sides.