1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watson's arm strength

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, May 5, 2017.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

None of this changes that there hasn't been an example of a prospect coming into the league throwing under 55 that ended up succeeding in the last decade. As I expected, since you had no argument, you chose to change the discussion. I take this as a concession on your part.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Here's a list, 2008-2017. Not surprisingly, most of the top prospects didn't throw and don't have a measurement. I think the overwhelming takeaway is that velocity is a small component of what makes a QB great, and it, as an independent measurement, is indicative of nothing.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Again...the majority of good NFL QBs never threw at the combine...so your data is pointless. And once again, pure velocity means very little without context.

4. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, I'm all for your blind faith that Watson will be the first, let's just wait and see if he's the savior or not. Continuing this conversation won't change anything.

Jatman20 likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Watson will get stronger. End of argument. Well it should be.:rolleyes:

7. rezdawg

Do you know what blind faith even means? Blind faith would be me saying that Watson will be a solid/franchise QB. Ive never predicted how his future will be as a QB.

I dont have blind faith...Im hopeful that he can learn to properly read defenses and get the mental part of the game down. As far as his physical traits, he has the arm talent to be a franchise QB. It remains to be seen if he can put it all together.

pgabriel likes this.
  8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I don't think anybody needs to be worried about the physical components of Watson's game...... It's the mental that will make or break his career.

Yaosthirdleg and rezdawg like this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Watson has pedigree and talent

It's not blind faith being happy with this pick at all

Yaosthirdleg and MadMax like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Some people are focused on ONE METRIC to determine a successful QB. How many strong armed QBs fail in the NFL because the strong arm cant cover up their lacking in other areas? Watson has a quick release, poise in the pocket, and is a proven winner. He will be fine.

Htownballer38 and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  12. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Well damn, I just called upon all my memory of school math classes to do basically this only to then see that you had already done it. Except I brought it down to 10 yards.
    Watson with .35 sec release time at 53 mph (slower than SS has him) would take .73 sec. Instead of comparing him to anyone, I just took the benchmark of 55 mph and saw what the release would have to be to match that. It is .36 sec. Is there a database with all the release rates in the NFL? Brock was like 2.5 sec so throwing 100mph doesnt help. Brady was .39 but he throws a bit faster.

Either way, I understand the benchmark bobby put out because there have not really been any good qbs under 55 mph (according to combine numbers) but at the same time Watson's ridiculous release speed actually adds a couple mph's to the throw. Agree?

13. rezdawg

Yup, his release time allows him to get the ball to the target much quicker than someone with a much stronger arm, but average release time. As long as Watson can be quick with his decision making, his arm strength will have very little impact on his success....and in actuality, his release time will give him some additional leeway that most QBs won't have.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

For sure it could happen, Watson could become the first successful QB to throw that slow. I fully acknowledge that, I always leave room for a miracle. I just don't think we should assume that pass velocity doesn't matter simply because the QB the team mortgaged the future on is pretty awful at it as of right now. That's really all I've ever been saying about it.

Also, his lack of velocity isn't the primary concern, the fact that he doesn't know how to read defenses properly, doesn't know how to run a pro style offense, doesn't know the Texans' system, and his accuracy issues (cue someone bringing up completion % and ignoring pass location data) are more concerning than his pass velocity if we're talking about him potentially playing at some point this season. Pass velocity is just one issue that could very well hurt his chances of success, certainly not the only one. This was a garbage QB class, every prospect was seriously flawed.

15. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I usually one of the first guys to climb aboard the wagon and drink the koolaid so I don't really trust myself but I can't help it. Just give me some better production than Brock and some exciting gameplay. I'm scared for his flaws and I don't believe the "justwinz" nonsense, but I will say that this kid has done the absolute best at the level he was at. Not saying it will translate to the pro level, but you couldn't really ask him to do much more than what he did at collegiate level. And for that, I am pumped. Also, another thing that gets me excited, the media talking UP the Texans for once. Just nice to be in the conversation on a positive note. The Astros are helping that as well.

Fullcourt likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Here's a list of good(ish) QBs who hit or topped 55MPH:
    Wentz
    Mariota
    Winston
    Cousins
    Wilson
    Dalton
    Newton
    Flacco

Here's a list of good(ish) QBs who did not top 55MPH:
    Prescott

Here's a list of good(ish) QBs whose MPH were not measured:
    Every other QB in the NFL ever in the history of the league, dating back to, like, YA Tittle.

This is such a waste of time; people are drawing sweeping conclusions from what is essentially 30% of the data. And I didn't even list all the mediocre QBs that topped 55 MPH (Mark Sanchez! Blake Bortles! Geno Smith! Bradon Weeden! Hell, the Texans have 2: Weeden and Savage both did. Who here thinks BOB should invest in a radar gun and make it part of the evaluation?)

Jatman20 likes this.
  17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The things I like about Watson is that when you talk about a lot of his flaws, they are correctable flaws. His throwing velocity issues don't come from a lack of arm strength, they come from improper form which a little bit of coaching and a lot of practice can fix. When it comes to him not knowing how to read defenses, a lot of coaching and a lot of practice and experience can fix that.

The thing I'm really worried about is if he is thrown out there too soon and ruined before there is time to fix those problems.

Overall I like what the Texans did in the draft, they picked up a between the tackles RB so that BOB can call those inside handoffs he so loves and we won't have to see Lamar Miller struggle with them and with an extra off-season to get those young WR's ready we could see a pretty big jump in offensive production. To be clear, I'm not overall negative in the direction of the team and if Watson comes on and is anything close to what some think he already is then I'll be ecstatic.

Nook, Aydge and houstonstime like this.
  18. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Its amazing to me on how people take certain comments as the benchmark of their argument. Velocity is the new big thing I guess huh.

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Seems like someone is against the Texans drafting Watson. Their boy Brock didn't work out so now they are arguing just to be arguing. Wait hold up, they are always arguing something on here.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Better than skinny ankles

Htownballer38 and Houstunna like this.