1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WashingtonPost.com: Francis looking for a 3rd Team, Trade Might Happen After Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jun 23, 2004.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

What some of you are missing here when it comes to determining if there are better offers out ther is this...

T Mac does not want to go to some of those teams for one simple, yet major reason. Take phoenix's offer for example...they would have to trade the core of their team to land him...and then T Mac would be in the same position he is now...the only good player on his team.

WE dont have to do this...Yao is now the core of our team and McGrady would not have t put the team on his shoulders as he has for the past several yrs in Orlando.

2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Here's my opinion after thinking about it and analyzing things.

Here's what we got:

1) According to every sports source known to man, except Chad Ford, the Rockets and Magic apparently had a deal contigent upon a couple of factors (Expansion draft, and Steve's BYC status).
    1-A) Reports surface that T-Mac will sign long term only with the Rockets.

2) SF and his agents open their mouths (for whatever reason) at SF's apparent displeasure for playing in Orlando. CHad Ford sticks to his guns.
    2-A) The astros have a 3 game win streak.

3) Several Media outlets report that Orlando may be backing off the deal, and soliciting other offers. However, many of those reports still say they think T-Mac will land in Houston. Chad Ford eats a hamburger, and the rest of ESPN staff sticks to their guns and says the trade is done.

4) The BBS turns into a madhouse of information, disinformation, speculation, and one thread about Eddie Griffin:confused: . Chad Ford comes up with some wierd idea that Houston wants the #5 pick:confused:

Looking at all these and delving into some of the sources of these I produce the following. First we have to believe that since everyone with any idea said a deal was imminent number 1 and 1-A are probably true. Next 2 and 2-A are true because there is first hand accounts of both of these (GO 'Stros).
    Here is where it gets sketchy. Most of the ESPN reporters continue to say that the deal is done but won't be announced until at least after the draft because of Steve's BYC issue (the BYC issue being a fact), and that NBA GM's are treating it that way. In conflict with this we get info from who? A Florida paper, someone with info supposedly from the Suns, some NY paper, and Chad Ford. Now what do the above sources have to gain? The Florida paper knows the deal favors Houston and may not want the Magic to take this one. The Suns (specifically Jerry Colangelo) always have tried their best to screw Houston (see teh inception of zone defenses), and they know if Houston gets T-Mac they are ahead of the suns in building a franchise. NY Papers usually do what they have to to sell copy. It has also been noted in another thread that the author of the first article, Chris Broussard has been wrong more than right. And Chad Ford, well he is Chad Ford and after disputing everyone else earlier in the week, what better way to get damage control than to do what he does best, copy other peoples ideas and print them so they fit his agenda.

All I can say about number 4 is to relax and wait and see where we go ( I know that is hard), say no to EG, and Chad Ford is smoking something.

3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

trade jeff bagwell

someone had to do it

4. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

don't forget that the Astros may steal Carlos Beltran for Dotel - while we are all waiting for T-mac and Francis

5. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

I heard Dotel doesn't want to go to KC.

6. Willis25

not to get too far off basketball, but it would be a 3 team deal through like the Angels or someone ... its on the Chronicle web site (just dig through the T-mac stuff)

now allow me to turn this back into a basketball take for a basketball forum... if both these deal go down (and they would be close in importance to their respective teams) I think the Rockets have already scooped the Stros on coverage. Isn't funny how the Rockets always seem to pull off the deal that gets the limelight (probably because they are still seen as a winner) while good ole boy Draton rents these great names, but gets no love

... shows you that even though people may like McLane more as a person (good ole boy and all) - Houston still loves a proven winner (or at least a team that is willing to commit to winning it all)

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Let's not sabotage this topic with baseball, guys.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

If they wait until after the draft, then the teams that were offering picks (Phoenix, etc.), lose leverage. But didn't Orlando want to do any deal before the draft, so they know whether to pick Okafor or Howard?

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's bad enough wading through duplicate posts at times, but please keep the off-topic stuff (like baseball) out of here.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Well, the Magic are also still talking contract extension with Tracy, at least according to the GM. T-Mac said he'd only sign long term with Houston, or so we are told because his actual first choice is to play with Shaq in Dallas. I think the Magic are still fielding offers because contending teams that Tracy might want to play for could still throw their hat into the ring. I think the Magic are difinately waiting for another playoff caliber team to say, "hey, we can outbid Houston." Is it impossible for say the T-Wolves to offer Cassell and Sprewell?

11. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Cassell and Spreewell have little trade value. Too old. Sprewell is overpaid too.

12. Willis25

he I turned it back to basketball - with the Rockets always upstaging the baseball team

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's just an example. I think Sac, Dallas, Memphis, SA could all come up with attractive deals for the Magic and they all seem like teams T-Mac would play for.

14. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Well. TMac said he didn't want to go to SA because of no challenge.
    And none of Sac, Dallas, Memphis has so-called dominant bigman.
    Obviously he only implied center as bigman since both Amare and KG
    were not his favorite.
    If this trade goes through, we should be proud of how attractive bait we
    have in Yao.

15. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I really hope this works out. Steve deserves to go to a playoff team after working so hard to get the Rockets there the last five years. I don't understand all this bashing. If he knows he's going to be traded, why should Francis care about the Rockets' needs? This guy has been the heart and soul of this team since he signed on, and he never played a game where he didn't give 100 percent. His game was far from perfect, but he always tried to get it there.

I want this trade to go through now, only because it would be hard for all the Rockets involved to stay on the team. I'm perfectly happy to wait until the teams can work out a good deal for Francis, and I look forward to watching him play wherever he goes.