1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Washington and Webber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MManal, May 22, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

I was looking at the salaries on RealGM and seeing possible players opt outs, team options, etc. If their information is accurate, then Washington can open up enough cap room this offseason to make a run at Chris Webber. According to RealGM, the Wizards have TEAM options on Mitch Richmond and Michael Smith. That means, if they choose not to bring those two back, their cap committment is only 28.9 mil which creates close to 14 mil in cap room if the cap rises to the 42-43 mil range.

How does this impact the Rockets? Chris Webber may have had a rough time with the Washington media, but he is a HUGE fan of Michael Jordan and would love to play with him. I remember every time Webber would talk about Jordan and the Bulls back in the mid 90s, it seemed like he idolized Jordan. Can anyone verify if this info on RealGM is accurate?

Oh one other thing.... RealGM also says the Rockets have a team option on Carlos Rogers. This means that they can wipe his salary off the cap this offseason just like the Wizards can do with Richmond.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure that Mitch is a buy-out and that realgm has it wrong. When the Rod Strickland stuff came up (actually earlier) the w. post started mentioning Richmond's buy out and the fact that the team still wouldn't be able to get under the cap this summer.

------------------
    women love me, fish fear me.

3. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I think Achebe is right. I remember reading somewhere that Washington has to buy out Richmond. That way he would still count against the cap.

------------------