1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Raid On Sean Puffy Combs's Homes Excessive Use Of Police Force

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Apr 3, 2024.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Not brutality, but the amount of police and " police equipment" used in the raids.

When the story broke last week I didn't think anything of it but I was watching a show, Daily Beast Live, which does commentary on the big news stories of the day and one of their black commentators kept asking what is the deal with the police presence comparing it to a white actor's arrest, I forgot who. Puffy's lawyer has been making an issue of it.

https://apnews.com/article/diddy-se...g-raids-feds-74a31ab6d1778ef84f1b97e7578dc906

#1 pgabriel, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't know anything about it, but it isn't my usual practice to fret about the treatment of the rich and powerful by police. He's got the best lawyers money can buy, he doesn't need me.

Rashmon, Ottomaton and astros123 like this.
  3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's basically a racism accusation, not just in Puffy's case

Edit: The Daily Beast Live guy was giving another example can't remember the celebrity

#3 pgabriel, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. JuanValdez

Find me a poor defenseless black person getting trampled roughshod by the system and I'll take it seriously. Guys like Puffy and Trump that get crosswise with the police act offended they would be treated like criminals even when they are and think everyone should care about their sorry megalomaniacal asses. I don't.

Ottomaton and astros123 like this.
  6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with Team Puffy but as I said this accusation was made by someone else. If it was just Puffy's lawyer I wouldn't have started the thread.

The Trump comparison is really poignant

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The prosecutors, and the police that executed the raid had to go before a judge and show probable cause. They legally had to make the case, and show evidence that if they served a normal subpoena instead of a raid, that evidence of a crime would be destroy.

Did police on the ground conducting the lawful search use excessive force???... I don't know but I haven't seen evidence of that. They had to know the media would be covering it, and so I doubt the officers would be dumb enough to make themselves the story here.

Excessive force typically happens when the cameras are off or when the police know they will face no scrutiny. Sometimes a George Floyd moment happens on camera because some police officers think they are above scrutiny, or they think what they are doing is perfectly legal though.

So I guess show us the documented evidence here if you have it. I haven't seen it yet though. What I do know though is that there surely seems to be pretty significant evidence that the DOJ have that PDiddy committed some pretty serious crimes, and is likely to get indicted soon.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

It's not excessive force in that sense. The lawyer is using the term excessive force but JuanValdez made a good comparison to Trump's complaints about the Mar a Lago raid, like a a lot of police for show or actual precaution when it wasn't needed

9. JuanValdez

Fair enough. If you have a link to the thing "someone else" said, that would add to the conversation (a quick google search didn't yield me anything). But I'm pretty skeptical because Combs has a lot of fans and I'm sure someone is going to take his side and cry racism even without or despite of evidence. It seems like some conspiratorial thinking to presume some racism was manifest because Combs was black and 'you know how cops are', even if you can't prove it.

10. edwardc

edwardc Member

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The general issues is that White Scum gets better treatment than non-White Scum
    Which generally means getting off, lesser sentences and not even reputation assassination
    Easier for them to come back from their Scummy behavior being exposed

It's racism . . . its privilege. . .. its still wrong
    but
    it is easier not to care because their all scum

Check it. The build in abuses and biases of a system accumulate over time.

So it's cumulative
    Which is why your statistics mean nothing

Rocket River

12. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Privilege. Do you know what the biggest privilege out there is? Being born in the United States of America. It instantly puts you in the top 2% globally in terms of opportunity and access to resources. Which makes people look really misguided (and ignorant) talking about racial privilege when they are born with an advantage over 98% of the world... Go visit the slums in Asia, Africa, Central America, etc and come back and tell me that you are the victim of not having "privilege".

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So people should accept second citizenship?
    Is that what you are saying?

Accept less in the same place time and circumstance because
    its better than another place, time and circumstance?

Really?

Rocket River

14. tinman

Supporting Member

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You achieve what you work for in this country -- pretty simple. The sooner the excuses stop, the better everyone will do. The sooner we stop treating people as groups, the better everyone will do. But until then, we are all in the top 2% globally in terms of opportunity. Change the victim mindset to a growth mindset and all boats will rise.

I fire people who see themselves as victims -- don't want them on my team. I want people who will work hard and persevere through the hard times.

tinman likes this.
  16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I don't doubt your 2% reference but I would like to see a source.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Nigerian immigrants who come to America do no view themselves as victims thus they are the most successful

@basso
    @AroundTheWorld
    @pgabriel
    Oh this guy too, moved to Houston and dominated his field

@Jontro

basso and El_Conquistador like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not arguing but Nigerians fall under the same category with all overseas immigrants. Nobody's coming that far to not succeed

tinman likes this.
  19. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]

20. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we had a nanny from Côte d'Ivoire. she lived in Harlem, and was quite dismissive of "black Americans" (her term).