1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

War against Terror, or War against Islam?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketMan Tex, May 24, 2005.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Picture of the Tank

http://americablog.blogspot.com/2005/05/dod-web-site-jokes-of-christian.html

DOD Web site jokes of Christian crusade against Muslims
    by John in DC - 5/23/2005 02:10:00 PM

UPDATE: I'm bumping this post up, I think this is important and indicative of the much larger problem we have in our military, our leadership, and with the Arab world. Didn't want it lost as a Sunday post. Thanks, JOHN

A clever AMERICAblogger sent me the following link to the US Department of Defense's own Marine Corps Web site. It shows a photo taken May 5, 2005 in Iraq. It's a photo of a US tank dubbed the "New Testament" - the name of the tank is written across its barrel. The even funnier part is that this photo MADE IT PAST military censors and the DOD Web page with the photo on it even brags about the name "New Testament" in the caption. So some jerk at the Pentagon knew exactly what this was about and found it funny enough to put on their Web site, and it passed various level of review. Lovely.

Why does Newsweek hate America?

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think you know how I feel about this. Beyond offensive to me. :mad:

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Me too. It undermines what we are supposed to be fighting for.

4. MadMax

And it does the same hijacking of my faith that we see happening to Islam by the terrorists.

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree 100%. Now you can join those of us that hate the troops, and love terrorists more than life itself, because we comment on something like this.

6. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, it's too late anyways, the Muslim world already KNOWS it is a new-age crusade by a new Christian kingdom (well, we are supposed to be secular, but we got Bush and his cronies now who are hardcore evangelicals that follow Pat Robertson, Graham, and Falwell's preaching).

So yes, it is a war against Islam in the minds of the other side, so that's all that matters.

Too little too late to change the perception now.

7. MadMax

ugh

this is NOT a Christian nation.

8. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

and this is why organized religion does not appeal to me.

9. MadMax

it's not the organization that's appealing to me either.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Of course this is not a "TRUE" Christian nation. But from the view of common people in the middle east, what do they think we the president constantly say things like God told me this God told me that?

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

No, but it is certainly percieved that way in many places around the world.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i know that max. mob mentality can overwhelm even the greatest of messages.

13. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I thought all the tanks would have the Bushfish on them. :D

[​IMG]

www.bushifish.org

who posted this in that other thread? It's great!

And why does Dr of Dunk have a website that jokes of Christian crusade against Muslims?

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

God is not an American.

Jesus is not a republican.

And America is a secular humanist stronghold in the world today.

Long ago Jesus wept,
    As he saw Jerusalem.
    No longer would the nation hear
    What love God offered them.

When nations rise and strong become
    God often is left out.
    As nations fall God rules them all,
    His power is not in doubt.

So as America turns from God
    Remember Sodom had no Bible
    For nations who reject God's truth
    Surrender their survival.

15. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I think the sign on the tank is just boys being boys. Look, the arabs rub their islam in our face and allegedly fight in the name of it. We here about it ad nauseum. What's wrong with a little quid pro quo? These guys were just being funny, and frankly, I doubt any of their attackers could even read English. It's the media and the liberals that make a story out of this. What's next, criticizing the WWII pilots for paiting white teeth on the front of their aircraft -- after all, the color white is very bad luck in many Asian cultures. It never ends with the liberals...

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Mountain out of a molehill, anyone?

17. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Obviously, I was referring to the "perception" in the Muslim world, which is only strengthened with every passing day as news of systematic tortures and flushing of Korans in toilets, etc., are reported on their local news.

Now, is this a Christian nation? You bet your azz it is! Sure, the system guarantees "freedom of religion" among other guarantees to the citizens, but since the system is based on majority-rule, and the majority are White, Protestant Christians, that is what is reflected in our government.

So in a sense, yes, we are a Christian-run nation.

18. MadMax

i don't see the fruits of this being a Christian nation, frankly. i just don't see it. but i won't argue that it is how it is perceived.

19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Once again we find over-generalizations. The majority of Arabs aren't fighting us in the name of islam, just deadly group of terrorists.

To say Arabs rub their islam in our faces isn't accurate and it isn't their Islam, since it is our islam too. We have many muslims who are Americans, and groups of muslims serving in the armed forces as well. I would think signs like this would be offensive to our own troops who are muslim. Do you only support the non-muslim troops TJ?

20. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

How ethnocentric of you. It is a mountain and not a molehill when Islamic fundamentalists attack us supposedly in the name of religion, but when we start a war and kill them with christian references on the killing machines it is a mountain out of a molehill.