1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Walmart buys Jet.com

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheRealist137, Aug 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

http://bigstory.ap.org/75582cb783954aefb0e5832dc6ddc406

I think this is a good move for Walmart. They can afford to spend $3 billion, and you can't really half-ass it if you want to take on the juggernaut Amazon. This will mean more competition which is good for consumers.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Nice. I've bought a few things from Wal Mart's site recently. Luckily there's one of their "neighborhood stores" relatively close to my house that I can have my packages shipped to so I don't have to go inside one of their big stores.

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

They'd be better off just selling that domain to Boeing or some travel agency.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

So, one fewer retail company means more competition?

Since Walmart screwed up my last 4 online orders, I haven't shopped with them at all. It would have been fine if they made any effort at all to fix their mistakes, but they didn't. I can cross Jet off my list of places to shop.

5. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Same here. They've messed up my past 3 orders online, and everything was a hassle and a struggle to get fixed. I have 0 confidence they'll get the online shopping right.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

ecommerce aside, I think walmart is ok.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Number of competitors mean nothing, number of serious competitors is what matters. Amazon has none. Team USA has no competition in Olympics basketball, despite them having a dozen other nations competing. I'd rather have one serious threat to Team USA than a dozen non-threats.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Walmart was already a major competitor with Amazon. They just really suck in comparison.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

and that's why they bought Jet. That's my point, apart, jet.com and walmart.com can't put a dent in Amazon, but together, they could.

10. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

Any traders/wall street guys that can look up the equity, Jetcom Incorporated (JTCMF). It spiked about the day this news broke and I really think people think this is Jet.com but it is really some small mining company out of Canada. I was looking to see if Jet.com went public yet since I was curious but of course they haven't. I swear people thought this is the ticker for jet.com otherwise it is just a HUGE coincidence. Haven't seen any articles about it yet but was wondering if someone could do some research.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

when Jet was first starting they gave away company shares to the people who signed up the most referrals.

the guy who won got 100,000 common shares... he spent money on it though.. like $18k.

http://fusion.net/story/54990/guy-got-rich-using-jet/

one has to assume those shares vest upon the sale. wonder what the final sale price per share is...

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I bought some undershirts from Amazon a while back and I mistakenly ordered the wrong size. When I tried to return them (unopened), they just refunded my credit card the same day and told me not to bother sending them back.

It's Amazon or nothing for me.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Same for me with some light bulbs I ordered from them. I never even consider Walmart as an option.

14. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

As long as jet keeps sending 15-20% off coupons, this is fine. So this is probably not fine.