1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wall injury affect Houston?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by coyotetex, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Umm. No. He’s 100% not.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

1st rounder for a backup that we don't even know if we can resign for me would be way too much.

And what's funny is that Washington would still not do that cause Knight is a two year contract...

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Or maybe HP was trying to remind us that Texas was supposed to be part of Mexico. ;)

4. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Watch and learn young man.

5. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

If a cash-strapped team buys out a player are they still liable for luxury tax on that contract?

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Yes, effectively you are buying out a contract to get a savings from a player for their freedom or they are a problem to the team. If you pay them slightly under their total contract amount you still accrue luxury tax. Same if you waive and stretch. You are still responsible for whatever salary gets paid. Only waiving nonguaranteed salary amounts or reducing your overall payroll through negotiating a lower amount on the buyout lowers the luxury tax. Luxury tax is also accounted for prior to the last day of the season, if I recall, so up to a certain point some of these things are set in stone for this year. I'm not sure of the date or conditions for the cutoff. Part of it has to do with a discretionary $3M each team has for buying picks, two-way contracts, and paying other teams cash considerations. That gets added as well. There is only one bimathug.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Yes, effectively you are buying out a contract to get a savings from a player for their freedom or they are a problem to the team. If you pay them slightly under their total contract amount you still accrue luxury tax. Same if you waive and stretch. You are still responsible for whatever salary gets paid. Only waiving nonguaranteed salary amounts or reducing your overall payroll through negotiating a lower amount on the buyout lowers the luxury tax. Luxury tax is also accounted for prior to the last day of the season, if I recall, so up to a certain point some of these things are set in stone for this year. I'm not sure of the date or conditions for the cutoff. Part of it has to do with a discretionary $3M each team has for buying picks, two-way contracts, and paying other teams cash considerations. That gets added as well. There is only one bimathug.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Why are there so many double posts on here lately?

napalm06 likes this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Thanks, that's more complicated than I thought. But it seems like it wouldn't be in the best interest of the tax-line teams to just buy guys out to get rid of them. So my gut tells me that the people here assuming Ariza's buyout chances just skyrocketed may not be right.

10. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I am guessing whether or not they do it relies heavily on what they do with the other players first to save money. By the time this would apply to him most of his salary would be paid before the end of the season. Clauses on when players are paid can vary. It may have been mostly up front and not weekly and spread out. If they were to release him it seems more likely to me it has to do with giving him a chance to catch onto another team for next year. It sounds like there was a lot of mutual interest with the Lakers. Wizards might be able to flip him again so I think that is more likely. I don't think under any circumstances he would come here unless he was assured of getting a multiyear on our MLE for next year. It seems more likely to me he tries to stay attached to his current contract that gives him leverage in resigning with a team at just about any increment regardless of their cap. If he gets released then he signs on for vet min for rest of the season and is back at the bottom. He took a smart gamble to go out there and get his money for one year in case his body quit and it did minimal damage to his ability to find his next mid-tier contract. I still think if Houston had immediately waved his same 4yr contract at him again he would have had a hard time turning it down. If you combine this year's salary with what he gets in future years he may not make it back up. I think he only has a year or two left anyway. I don't see him coming back here unless through trade.

11. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

It happened to me and appears that the post doesn't register unless you let it take some time and back out to the front. If you press it twice it will post once but in reality it does it twice.

peleincubus likes this.
  12. BigBum

BigBum Member

Morey is very patient on trading for depth, he will regret very soon.