1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wacky News: I think she missed the point

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rockHEAD, Sep 19, 2001.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Wednesday September 19 8:01 AM ET

Mom Dashes 900 Miles to Deliver Forgotten GameBoy

LONDON (Reuters) - Devoted mother Carol Dukes traveled 900 miles (1,450 km) so her son, the apple of her eye, could play with his GameBoy on a school trip.

Dukes, 41, spent 150 pounds ($220) on planes and taxis in the mad dash from her home in Berkshire to London's Heathrow Airport and on to Scotland to catch 11-year-old Charlie after she realized he had left the handheld computer game at home.

"If you decide to do something you do it and worry about the money later," Dukes told Reuters Tuesday. "But I think everyone was quite surprised to see me."

Charlie and 39 classmates were bound for the isolated island of Iona to learn about life without modern amenities.

When Charlie's mum caught up with her son's train at Dumbarton, near Glasgow, he was understandably embarrassed.

"He was a bit diffident when I caught up with him and I guess he was a tad embarrassed," Dukes admitted.

Dukes said she was not an overindulgent mum but she felt responsible for repacking Charlie's bag and forgetting to replace the game and his pencil case.

"I wanted Charlie to have a good time and the only option I had was to get the GameBoy to him in person," Dukes said.

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Any response from the husband yet?

3. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

What a wanker.

4. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Anyone ever heard an 11-year old described as "a bit diffident?"

5. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

Rockhead,
    The gameboy has been around since the beginning of time, it just as important as food, water, and shelter. DUH