1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Vox] It’s ridiculous that it’s unconstitutional for Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez to run for president

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Dec 13, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I'd prefer the minimum aged 35 rule be removed and replaced with an over 66 (legal retirement age) rule disqualifier.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I sense you're being a bit facetious here, but I don't hate the idea of age limit. I mean, look at the reason why we can't get meaningful reform of what tech companies do? Some people in government are so old they don't understand their phones can track them. Sure, their advisers can be hip to the newest jive but it doesn't necessarily mean the representatives actually understand what they are advocating. With age comes some wisdom for sure, but older doesn't mean better. Older can also mean we cling to old values that might not fit in the modern era, like well, slavery.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well we already have some on the left calling to lower the voting age to 16 or in one instance you had a radical leftist calling to lower the voting age to 6. These are the kinds of people that are the reason why we have rules like this in the constitution that are incredibly difficult to change. You will always find some stupid people who would seek to manipulate the system to gain short term advantage despite the long term harm it would cause.

We don't want children voting or holding office. The rules are absolutely fine as is.

Now all of that said, I just have to laugh that there are people out there who legitimately would seek to vote for AOC for any position in government whatsoever.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You sensed completely wrong LOL!! I'm dead serious, old people who won't face the impact of their long term decisions shouldn't make decisions. We have special laws for old people driving cars but we don't for driving the country ffs!?!?

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I love how a lightweight newbie like AOC has so rankled the wingers. This is your future.

6. Pizza_Da_Hut

Again, I think your vision is myopic here. We don't want people with the mentality of children holding office. The issue is, as it stands, we already have that going on quite frequently. This is merely a counter-response to that.

Let me flip it to you another way, if I vote purely based on the letter next to a candidate being an D or an R how am I any better than a child? I'll answer it for you, I'm not. Numerous people do this frequently. This is part of the issue. This isn't a function of affluence, age of education, people in all circles do this (albeit some groups are more informed and do it less often than others). Arbitrary age limits don't do as much good to prevent this as other things that can and should be done. Hell, getting people to have higher voting efficacy at younger ages would definitely contribute to a more informed voting populous. If you believe in democracy on a fundamental level (beyond pure nationalism) you will tend to be more informed and vote accordingly. The issue is, the idea of "civic duty" is almost dead. So many people vote out of fear and tribalism.

Now, you could definitely argue that both sides want a less informed voting constituent for the same reason why some people like hands off bosses. When your boss doesn't know if you're doing a bad job, you're less likely to get fired. Now, I would argue one side likes the idea of an ignorant base a hell of a lot more than the other does.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I'm comfortable characterizing it as the GOP party at large due the the fact they had 16 other options to chose from.

"But Hillary made me vote for the most unqualified President in American history".

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

I think what's hard about it is this, if you don't remember history on a fundamental level you don't hear these words as repacked eugenics and Naziism. You hear sentiments that sound like really good ideas. It's why at college campuses getting dihydrogen monoxide banned is easy to do. Being able to step back and just do a cursory Google search could be enough, but to have the wisdom to know to do that is hard. When you couple that with fear of the unknown hatred or disdain of the other gender, and ignorant voting practices its easy to see how someone could get sucked in.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The arbitrary age limit is completely ridiculous and nonsense.

Once AI can run for President.

And given the current POTUS

#29 Amiga, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
    Rashmon likes this.
  10. HTM

HTM Member

lol "partly because she cannot run" - maybe exclusively because she cannot run. Why would someone who isn't eligible be in any 2020 poll?

Pizza_Da_Hut likes this.
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Notice how many BBS liberals are taking Vox's argument seriously? I count one. Everyone else is mocking or ignoring it. Maybe we do not form a statistically-valid sample of the broader American liberal population, but I think it should at least suggest that conservative posters should stop insisting that AOC is the liberal savior in our little microcosm.

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

She owns the nutters thoughts and controls their emotions.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

All I was doing was having a laugh at that posters reasoning about AOC not being/being included in 2020 polling.

Not sure how you drew anything else from that.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was springboarding off your post more than responding to it. Yeah, it'd be pointless to include a candidate in your poll who cannot run. But I really doubt she'd register very high even if she was included.

15. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

This is your future: the true story of communism.

16. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How many times do you intend to post the same video for me to ignore?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Meechan

Right up your alley.

17. Buck Turgidson

Right?

Thanks for digging up info on the guy, pretty much what I expected.

18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Pro tip: In addition to quoting and indicating your thanks for the post you can also smash that 'like' button.

19. Buck Turgidson

Uh, ok. I do that, sometimes I don't. A non-******* reply implies my liking, and I do hate tautology.

I just hit "like" on your post 8 times but it doesn't show up. Sorry.

KingCheetah likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The point was nobody even thinks about her as a candidate because if she was there would always be the Statement “if she could”. Because if she’s thought about in that way, the questions wouid be asked about where is she on this list, and someone would then explain why because most people don’t pay that much attention to age rules.

It’s simply a fact that right wingers are far more obsessed with AOC than liberals are. People talk about Oprah or Kanye as a candidate more than they do AOC.

Glad you had a good laugh though. Happy to provide it for those in need. I’ve had some typos in the past as well if you want to pull any of those up. @Astrodome keeps close track of my grammar so I don’t have to. You might want to tap him for that.