1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voting Misinformation in Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Nov 2, 2010.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I just heard on NPR that there were reports of fliers handed out in predominately African American neighborhoods in Houston that if blacks voted straight Democrat their ballots wouldn't be counted. These fliers where from an organization called the "Black Democratic Trust Association" which doesn't exist. Has anyone down in Houston heard or seen anything about this?

Also the NPR piece mentioned in other states like Kansas, Louisiana, and Maryland there were robo-calls telling elderly voters they could vote online or over the phone and also that they should vote on Nov. 3rd.

2. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Reports are coming out of Kansas of fliers telling voters they have to have identification and proof of home ownership to vote.

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

These people need to be found and made an example of.

4. mc mark

Kansas Voters Report Callers Telling Them They Need Proof Of Home Ownership To Vote

The Kansas attorney general has opened an investigation into reports that voters across Kansas have received calls giving them a slew of false information about the election: That the election has been moved to Wednesday, that they need to bring their voter registration cards to the polls and that they need proof of homeownership to vote.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Are you kidding? Historical patterns are historical. Sad face is sad. :(

6. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

odd that you (and NPR) missed the reports in your own backyard.

likewise in New York, CT, and Del.

1 person likes this.
  7. B-Bob

Most of the "VOTERR FROD!!1!1!" frothing stories turn out to be false.

If there are mentally disabled people being bussed into voting booths and instructed to vote for one party, I decry that. I need evidence more than a random report alleging such to a blog.

Now. I won't hold my breath to hear certain people decry misleading flyers and robocalls. No I will not.

8. basso

Supporting Member

forgot about nevada.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

so i shouldn't grab by the shirt in the booth next to me and tell him "don't **** it up r****d!"? :( :confused:

10. esteban

esteban Member

Thank you Basso! Just repped you. Too funny,eggs on the Judo man's face!

11. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Is ACORN at it again? :eek:

1 person likes this.
  12. mc mark

13. basso

Supporting Member

not quite:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9z8MAAG9EYk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9z8MAAG9EYk&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

14. basso

Supporting Member

15. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

^^ any footage of that black panther saying those words???

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually the report in MN was that the election observers was being hostile to voters.

http://www.startribune.com/local/bl...EyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUgOy9cP3DieyckcUsX

[rquoter]The Associated Press is reporting that Hennepin County election judges are confronting poll watchers who are going overboard in their effort to stop voter fraud. The AP quotes the county elections manager as saying that poll watchers were "wandering into secure areas and challenging voters for the wrong reasons." If you see these sorts of confrontations, send me an email.[/rquoter]

#16 rocketsjudoka, Nov 3, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  17. B-Bob

Thank heavens that tiny, insignificant organization will no longer have its pittance of funding available to sign up voters. Whew! I have been so worried about them. (I'm not worried about the organizations with 100,000x their resources, or those organizations who can now pour money into elections from outside the country.)

18. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I have faith in The Houston African American community that they don't believe this sort of thing and are going to the polls anyway.

19. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

people who believe that are too stupid to vote anyway....while its a dumb prank, it probably helped weed out some of America's dumbest

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Exactly. Seems like all these reports come from political blogs/talk radio. Not exactly bastions of unbiased truths...

And I know it sounds harsh, but if you aren't up to speed enough to know that you don't need to own a home to vote....well, you should probably just stay home anyway.