1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

lol, you didn't refute ****.

You are hiding behind a logical fallacy, which basically invalidates your whole argument.

And I am still waiting on an answer to the gun question.

2. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

We're going nowhere with this. Enjoy your studies of the situation.

You want my answer on how I feel about gun control? Look around a little bit. It's no secret. You may have to do a little work to get what you want though...but if it's important enough to you, you can get it done.

#102 Falcons Talon, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  3. larsv8

On the contrary, I think we have learned quite a bit.

4. Falcons Talon

Have you figured out my stance on gun control?

5. larsv8

Its not something I can figure out.

You will either post it, or you won't.

6. Falcons Talon

It's been posted. Things aren't just given because you ask for it or you feel you are entitled to it. Sometimes, you have to go out and get things for yourself.

Like I've said before, I'm glad that I can at least try to instill this in my students before they go off in the real world.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so there shouldn't be any license or fee required when it comes to constitutional rights? So you'd support not having to show ID or pay any kind of government fee to buy a gun then?

Also, you can say over and over again that voter fraud doesn't exist, but that would be no different than saying that terrorism doesn't exist or that crime doesn't exist and just hoping that people would take you at your word. Home invasions don't exist since I did a poll of my street and I didn't find any evidence of it happening recently....thus no reason to lock your doors at night.

Still to this day there has not been an intelligent argument against requiring ID to vote.

8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Terrorism doesn't exist? What have you been smoking today?

9. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

There has also not been one intelligent argument in favor of requiring ID. Voter fraud is proven to be non existent in this country. This is fact.

Equating that stance to someone who denies that terrorism exists is just ridiculous, even for your standards.

10. larsv8

lol whatever

Good luck with that.

11. Falcons Talon

Thanks for proving my point. If its an inconvenience to you, you don't bother.

If it was important to you, you would make an honest effort to make it happen.

LOL is right.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Clearly you didn't follow along, not terribly surprising though.

13. larsv8

I made an honest effort by asking you, which is a reasonable action for the outcome.

The only thing you proved is you are kind of a douche.

14. Falcons Talon

LMFAO, you asked, so you think that's reasonable enough to get an answer. And no answer given so you're dead in the water!LMAO

You really can't make the effort to do a quick search.

You just proved that you're lazy, dumb, or don't care enough to make any effort.

It's the first post on a thread in the D&D titled "What is your definition of Gun Control" about 3 months ago.
    For goodness sakes, I'll even give you the link on a silver platter, but I'm not going to read it to you.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=270832&highlight=control

Insult me if you like...no matter to me, but you proved my point spendidly.

15. larsv8

You are a weird dude.

16. Falcons Talon

Ad hominem

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

yes and if you hand me your voter registration card it doesn't make me you...

18. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1YRUUFYeOPI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

We know those things exist because occurrences are documented and organized into statistics. Just like the data that shows Voter Fraud was never a real problem in texas.

It's because you ignore them. Go Nuts:

Here are a list of reasons why millions of people don't have IDs. Again, I know it won't change your mind but it might explain a fact that is not under dispute.

-The most common form of government-issued ID are driver's licenses and so the people who are most unlikely to drive, as it is, is elderly, the poor, people who live in big cities, like African-Americans, especially young people, too, especially if they attend college. They may not have need for a car at the moment.

-And then people who are in rural areas. The other challenge for them is they are not near the Department of Motor Vehicles offices, etc., etc. where you would get these IDs.

-Many of them never had birth certificates to begin with, and if they did, they were incorrectly - their names were incorrectly put onto these documents. And if that's the case, then you're not going to get an ID. They will not accept discrepancies between your birth certificate and other forms of ID that you may have, like a Social Security card and those kinds of things. They were born at a time when there was not a lot of attention paid to these sort of details, particularly for African-Americans.

-As far as the states go, they are issuing non-driver voter IDs. Many of them are for free, but the problem is, when you go to Department of Motor Vehicle offices, the waits are very long, they're time consuming. The governor of Tennessee, who's a Republican, by the way - he has expressed concern about the average wait times there, which extend well beyond an hour. And if you're talking about thousands of elderly, in particular, they can't wait that long.

-if you're someone trying to get a voter ID, you need that type of documentation. In order to get an ID, you often need an ID, so it becomes a Catch 22. (Check that PDF I linked to for the list of documents.)

These are from New York University's Brennan Center for Justice

More from the report
    As many as 7% of United States citizens – 13 million individuals – do not have ready access to citizenship documents. Seven percent of the American citizens surveyed responded that they do not have ready access to U.S. passports, naturalization papers, or birth certificates.2 Using 2000 census calculations of the citizen voting-age population, this translates to more than 13 million American adult citizens nationwide who cannot easily produce documentation proving their citizenship.3

Documentation proving citizenship often does not reflect the citizen’s current name.
    Many of those who possess ready documentation of their citizenship do not have documentation that reflects their current name. For example, survey results show that only 48% of voting-age women with ready access to their U.S. birth certificates have a birth certificate with current legal name6 – and only 66% of voting-age women with ready access to any proof of citizenship have a document with current legal name.7 Using 2000 census citizen voting-age population data, this means that as many as 32 million voting-age women may have available only proof of citizenship documents that do not reflect their current name.

As many as 11 percent of United States citizens – more than 21 million individuals – do not have government-issued photo identification. Eleven percent of the American citizens surveyed responded that they do not have current, unexpired government-issued identification with a photograph, such as a driver’s license or military ID.8 Using 2000 census calculations of the citizen voting-age population, this translates to more than 21 million American adult citizens nationwide who do not possess valid government photo ID.
    Elderly citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.
    Survey results indicate that seniors disproportionately lack photo identification. Eighteen percent of American citizens age 65 and above do not have current government-issued photo ID.9 Using 2005 census estimates, this amounts to more than 6 million senior citizens.

Minority citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.
    According to the survey, African-American citizens also disproportionately lack photo identification. Twenty-five percent of African-American voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, compared to eight percent of white voting-age citizens.10 Using 2000 census figures, this amounts to more than 5.5 million adult African-American citizens without photo identification. Our survey also indicated that sixteen percent of Hispanic voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, but due to a low sample size, the results did not achieve statistical significance. 11
    Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess photo identification. Citizens earning less than $35,000 per year are more than twice as likely to lack current government-issued photo identification as those earning more than $35,000. Indeed, the survey indicates that at least 15 percent of voting-age American citizens earning less than $35,000 per year do not have a valid government-issued photo ID.12

Photo identification often does not reflect current information. For many of those who possess current, valid government-issued photo ID, the documentation does not reflect their current information. For example, survey results show that ten percent of voting-age citizens who have current photo ID do not have photo ID with both their current address and their current legal name. The rate is higher among younger citizens: as many as 18 percent of citizens aged 18-24 do not have photo ID with current address and name; using 2004 census tallies, that amounts to almost 4.5 million American citizens.

This is the list of documents that you need to get a driver's license. Imagine trying to get all of this stuff as an adult. It's a pain especially if you don't have a passport or DL from another state. Bobby, you can say that you still think people should have these documents, that they are accurate and they should be able to travel (even if they don't have a car) to a DPS location. What you can't say is that it is as simple as applying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you read all of that and say that there are no good arguments then you are either so set on your opinion that you can't see any rational arguments that run counter to your claim. Or you're just hateful and don't care about anything else but I like to think that isn't the case.

Your overall opinion can't be proven wrong because you acknowledge some good arguments on the other side. Have enough faith in your intellect and rhetoric to recognize good counter arguments while still asserting the overall point you are trying to make. No side is absolute.

#119 Brando2101, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nice post with evidence to back it up besides.