1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

First of all, I'm addressing the statement about there being few DPS/DMV offices in the valley.

Secondly, you're telling me that these poor people can't make arrangements to get an id, but they can make arrangements to go and vote? I live in this area. It's not that they can't vote. It's that they don't care.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Years ago, I was able to board flights without showing any ID whatsoever.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's clearly nothing more than a conspiracy to stop minorities and other Democrats from being able to fly. Only explanation for it.

1 person likes this.
  4. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Well this most certainly explains why I have to take the bus and train everytime I travel overseas... :p

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone who thinks states passing voter id laws to solve a non-existent problem while at the same time passing laws making it harder to get an id and closing/limiting places to get an id is anything but an attempt to suppress votes is just living in denial. There is nothing more to say.

1 person likes this.
  6. Granville

Granville Member

I witnessed a family of 4 with an Autistic son in tow getting denied boarding a cruise ship because the mother had a hospital issued birth certificate instead of a government issued birth certificate. The lady had a valid driver license on her. It was just that without a passport she needed a 2nd acceptable form of ID. The family lost their cruise fare. The penalties for switching their flights immediately were more steep than renting a car to drive home to Arizona.

I have seen women not get on cruise ships because their birth certificate had their maiden name and their DL had their married name. They needed a marriage license to bridge the name.

7. Falcons Talon

Bottom line is if people want something enough, they will find a way to get it done. Just because its a constitutional right does not mean its easy. I'm glad I get to teach my students to not expect handouts and to think and work hard for what they want.

8. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Anyone who doesn't think it is reasonable to identify a voter as who they say they are before they vote can only be hoping that votes get counted that may not be cast by a legal voter. Having an ID is not some giant burden that can't be expected to be overcome and nobody should be afraid to identify themselves. There is nothing more to say.

9. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Firstly, you asked what the problem was, and you got it.

Secondly, I am telling you it is difficult for poor people to do a lot of things. The more difficult it is, the less likely they are to do it. I am sure there are many who don't care, but the ones who do care, who are prevented from voting due to these conditions, have a legitimate complaint.

LOL Handouts, the classic conservative boogey man.

The bottom line is, voter suppression is a tool to rig voter turnout in favor on conservatives.

Its been proven time and time again, that it is indeed a burden to obtain these items. The idea that people are afraid to identify themselves is a false narrative.

1 person likes this.
  10. Falcons Talon

I asked in the context of lack of local offices.

No **** Sherlock. I'm telling you that being from a poor family, living in this poor area, teaching in this poor area, that if poor people want something, they will find a way to get it, unless it is simply not important enough to warrant the effort.

Conservative Boogeyman? LOL. I love it. Come spend some real time down here, because that's what I'm speaking about. Come to Cameron Park...spend a few days if you dare. Come down to la ramirena. Spend some time at any colonia...you'll learn the shocking truth first hand opposed to what you "think"

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You speak as if any of the above is fact. Your opinion that only "liberals" or people who prefer large government have trouble getting ID's and only "conservatives" or people who prefer a more limited government have IDs is BS.

Back up any of your nonsense....

12. larsv8

Ah yes.

The "I did it, so there is no excuses for anyone else not to be able to do it".

I know your type well.

So tell me Mr. Talon, do you feel the same about gun control policies? You are fine with all the background checks and waiting periods, because after all, if someone wants something, they will jump through all the hoops?

I don't really care what happens in Cameron Park. I care about the person who wants to vote and cannot, whether that person lives in Cameron Park or River Oaks.

It is a fact.

However your incorrect interpretation of my opinion that "that only "liberals" or people who prefer large government have trouble getting ID's and only "conservatives" or people who prefer a more limited government have IDs" is false. Adding absolutes makes it so

There are numerous studies showing that voter ID is a tool to suppress a certain voting group. That is a fact, its not debatable.

13. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Voters are identified on their voter registration cards.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Don't confuse the gentleman with logic, JV. He is confused enough already.

15. Falcons Talon

I use my experience and position to teach kids to do for themselves as opposed to waiting for someone to make things easy for them. The world owes nobody anything, and I'm not so closed minded that I don't realize that some people may need real assistance. The rest use it as a crutch, and enablers like you give them hope for something for nothing.

Please, since you know my type, answer that question for me. I will divulge I have possessed my CHL for about 8 years. Tell me please how I feel about that and I will honestly answer how I feel about it. I anxiously await this answer.

Obviously you don't care, because I'm telling you the way things are and you're ranting on about how YOU think things are and the way YOU think they should be. The reality of the life here does not fit YOUR definition of why things are they way they are, and as expected, "you don't care"

#95 Falcons Talon, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

And passengers are identified on their plane tickets.....

17. larsv8

I said I know the type, not that I am a mindreader.

The three people in my circle who share the bitter rags to riches story and have no sympathy for anyone else who is struggling aren't gun guys, which is why I am curious about your views on the subject.

The **** are you talking about? Did you interview the whole god damn town on their views of how easy it is to vote and get IDs? My perceptions are based on the views of people who actually HAVE studied the issue, and looked at what the aggregate effects of are, while comparing to the counterpoints. Its called having an informed opinion. I could give two ****s about your anecdotal life story of being surround by lazy assholes. I am not standing up for lazy assholes, I am standing up for those who are actually disenfranchised, which is actually and factually a real thing, whether you have personally witnessed it or not.

18. Falcons Talon

Ahhhh....so you know my type well, but now you're not a mindreader.

In addtition, because I am refuting your perceptions of the views of the "studies" with first hand experience, and I have lived the experience, as well as interacting in it almost every single day, NOW, the people that surround me are lazy. Be careful now....that's quite a large group you are defending and insulting at the same time.

And THEN, I concede that there are people that actually need help but that doesn't seem to matter either....

Oh yeah....you know my type SOOOO WELLLL...

Take a shot at my stance on gun control policies. It's no secret.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you can disenfranchise someone by requiring ID to prove who they are, those people don't deserve a franchise regardless or race, sex, age, or political affiliation. If you are of legal age and don't have any form of official ID be it a drivers licence or state ID, you aren't a part of society and don't deserve a say over matters of society.

You can't do anything without ID.

20. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Where in the constitution does it guarantee the right to fly on planes?

Aside from that, we have a little something called terrorism that affects the airline industry. One of the solutions against security concerns are stricter security procedures. We show ID at airports for valid security reasons.

Voter fraud simply does not exist, making the "solutions" to it completely pointless and invalid. It's akin to letting a doctor treat a patient for a disease that doesn't exist.