1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I wonder what would be criminal think and do? Wait in line to cast a vote? Go pick up a gun? I said, most likely the criminal will exercise his/her given right and civil responsibility to vote! We need to put up more restrictions and tougher rules to make sure that doesn't happen.

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

People don't even think about the voter registration process. Almost half of US states allow you to register online but the closest Texas gets to that is texting a number and having an application mailed to you that you have to mail back.

3. Brando2101

I can understand if you think the issue is the cost of the card since you've likely had an ID since you were young. It is a burden if you don't need one for your living especially if you don't have a US passport to prove your identity.

How to get ID:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...57.pdf&usg=AFQjCNFr7MXt-L8MEBDeAxEizV2eRHX4mA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rHFOwlMCdto" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The laws are intended to prevent voter fraud. Trying to pretend that getting an ID is some kind of huge burden is laughable. Anyway, you'll never give up the ridiculousness so I'm gonna just have to move on.

I have yet to hear an intelligent argument for why someone should be able to vote without showing ID when they can't buy beer without ID.

5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think both arguments are correct.

-It is perfectly reasonable that you should provide an ID to prove who you are to vote. We don't let you do anything of substance without an ID.

-It is also true that these laws were conceived of as a way to suppress democratic votes. It's the perfect tool; ID is a reasonable request, voter fraud is not something that anyone would support obviously, so boom! Perfect boogeyman.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Doesn't online registration hurt Democratic voters? In fact, doesn't everything about following the law hurt Democrats?

7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep your head in the sand Bobby, I wouldn't want to challenge your precious view. If you think gov't should create laws to solve problems that don't exist, I understand. You love more gov't. Typical conservative.

8. TheresTheDagger

The above is 100% true. I'll add one more.

-It is true that the majority of those who shouldn't be allowed to vote (i.e. Illegal aliens) will vote for a candidate on the left.

9. Brando2101

I have to admit I laughed at your Beer comment. I see what you are saying but A) not everyone drinks alcohol and B) Not every single family member buys alcohol. Watch the John Oliver clip I posted. I know it won't change your opinion but he brings up some things you probably have not heard.

Also, do you have anything that quantifies how many fraudulent votes were being counted that are now prevented? Everything I've seen has the number overwhelmingly insignificant.

Here are a list of reasons why millions of people don't have IDs. Again, I know it won't change your mind but it might explain a fact that is not under dispute.

-The most common form of government-issued ID are driver's licenses and so the people who are most unlikely to drive, as it is, is elderly, the poor, people who live in big cities, like African-Americans, especially young people, too, especially if they attend college. They may not have need for a car at the moment.

-And then people who are in rural areas. The other challenge for them is they are not near the Department of Motor Vehicles offices, etc., etc. where you would get these IDs.

-Many of them never had birth certificates to begin with, and if they did, they were incorrectly - their names were incorrectly put onto these documents. And if that's the case, then you're not going to get an ID. They will not accept discrepancies between your birth certificate and other forms of ID that you may have, like a Social Security card and those kinds of things. They were born at a time when there was not a lot of attention paid to these sort of details, particularly for African-Americans.

-As far as the states go, they are issuing non-driver voter IDs. Many of them are for free, but the problem is, when you go to Department of Motor Vehicle offices, the waits are very long, they're time consuming. The governor of Tennessee, who's a Republican, by the way - he has expressed concern about the average wait times there, which extend well beyond an hour. And if you're talking about thousands of elderly, in particular, they can't wait that long.

-if you're someone trying to get a voter ID, you need that type of documentation. In order to get an ID, you often need an ID, so it becomes a Catch 22. (Check that PDF I linked to for the list of documents.)

These are from New York University's Brennan Center for Justice

More from the report
    As many as 7% of United States citizens – 13 million individuals – do not have ready access to citizenship documents. Seven percent of the American citizens surveyed responded that they do not have ready access to U.S. passports, naturalization papers, or birth certificates.2 Using 2000 census calculations of the citizen voting-age population, this translates to more than 13 million American adult citizens nationwide who cannot easily produce documentation proving their citizenship.3

Documentation proving citizenship often does not reflect the citizen’s current name.
    Many of those who possess ready documentation of their citizenship do not have documentation that reflects their current name. For example, survey results show that only 48% of voting-age women with ready access to their U.S. birth certificates have a birth certificate with current legal name6 – and only 66% of voting-age women with ready access to any proof of citizenship have a document with current legal name.7 Using 2000 census citizen voting-age population data, this means that as many as 32 million voting-age women may have available only proof of citizenship documents that do not reflect their current name.

As many as 11 percent of United States citizens – more than 21 million individuals – do not have government-issued photo identification. Eleven percent of the American citizens surveyed responded that they do not have current, unexpired government-issued identification with a photograph, such as a driver’s license or military ID.8 Using 2000 census calculations of the citizen voting-age population, this translates to more than 21 million American adult citizens nationwide who do not possess valid government photo ID.
    Elderly citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.
    Survey results indicate that seniors disproportionately lack photo identification. Eighteen percent of American citizens age 65 and above do not have current government-issued photo ID.9 Using 2005 census estimates, this amounts to more than 6 million senior citizens.

Minority citizens are less likely to possess government-issued photo identification.
    According to the survey, African-American citizens also disproportionately lack photo identification. Twenty-five percent of African-American voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, compared to eight percent of white voting-age citizens.10 Using 2000 census figures, this amounts to more than 5.5 million adult African-American citizens without photo identification. Our survey also indicated that sixteen percent of Hispanic voting-age citizens have no current government-issued photo ID, but due to a low sample size, the results did not achieve statistical significance. 11
    Citizens with comparatively low incomes are less likely to possess photo identification. Citizens earning less than $35,000 per year are more than twice as likely to lack current government-issued photo identification as those earning more than $35,000. Indeed, the survey indicates that at least 15 percent of voting-age American citizens earning less than $35,000 per year do not have a valid government-issued photo ID.12

Photo identification often does not reflect current information. For many of those who possess current, valid government-issued photo ID, the documentation does not reflect their current information. For example, survey results show that ten percent of voting-age citizens who have current photo ID do not have photo ID with both their current address and their current legal name. The rate is higher among younger citizens: as many as 18 percent of citizens aged 18-24 do not have photo ID with current address and name; using 2004 census tallies, that amounts to almost 4.5 million American citizens.

This is the list of documents that you need to get a driver's license. Imagine trying to get all of this stuff as an adult. It's a pain especially if you don't have a passport or DL from another state. Bobby, you can say that you still think people should have these documents, that they are accurate and they should be able to travel (even if they don't have a car) to a DPS location. What you can't say is that it is as simple as applying.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#69 Brando2101, Mar 16, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    2 people like this.
  10. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Are people using that graph to say more republican people have IDs than democrats?

11. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Apparently you haven't been down in the valley where DPS offices are few and far between. Curious since this is the part of the state with a large Hispanic population but according to Gov. Right-Wing, this is by design. After all, we can't have all of those pesky minorities exercising their constitutional rights now, can we? {SARCASM alert}

Of course this is a deliberate attempt by the Republican Party to suppress minority votes - it was admitted back in 2013 by the likes of Phyllis Schlafly, Pennsylvania House Majority Leader Mike Turzai and former Florida GOP chairman Jim Greer. http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/08/28/republicans-admit-voter-id-laws-are-aimed-at-democratic-voters.html IMO that is not in dispute. Now this is an issue that is a personal one for me. I accompanied my grandfather when, as a black man, he cast his first ever vote for president in the 1964 general election after years of being denied the right to vote due to the color of his skin. So when I see the Abbots, Cruzs and Patrick spout off about the need for "voter ID" I understand the true intent behind their words and deeds.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What a shocker, sparsely populated parts of the state have fewer government offices....STOP THE PRESSES!!!!

The valley is nearly the size of Connecticut and only has about a million people there.....how many offices would you think they'd have?

Perhaps you should think out your position a little bit better and try again.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So nice that you ignore everyone's points and just fabricate a reality.

14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Bobby is a walking, talking logical fallacy.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What I said IS reality....look it up kiddo.

The valley is over 4,000 square miles and only has about a million people that live there. DPS offices being "few and far between" in a region like that is to be expected.....it's not some conspiracy to prevent minorities from voting as HillBoy was accusing.

The original point, that requiring ID to vote not being some great burden, still stands.

16. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Years ago, when my license had lapsed, I was able to use my UH employee ID (which is exactly the same as the UH student ID) to get on a plane.

17. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Wait What? Lack of DPS offices in the Valley...As in the Rio Grande Valley? Hmmm...I live in Brownsville....office here(http://local.dmv.org/texas/cameron-...01-paredes-line-road/dmv-office-locations.php)
    ....20 minutes up the road, there is an office in Harlingen(http://local.dmv.org/texas/cameron-...th-77-sunshine-strip/dmv-office-locations.php)
    ....20 minutes west of there, there is an office in Weslaco(http://local.dmv.org/texas/hidalgo-...international-blvd.-/dmv-office-locations.php)
    ...and 20 minutes west of there, there in an office in McAllen.( http://local.dmv.org/texas/hidalgo-county/mcallen/1414-north-bicentennial/dmv-office-locations.php)

So what's the problem again?

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Even after a poster called you out for ignoring other's points, you continue to ignore them LOL. This is why you are a joke and no one respects you on here.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The problem is you are assuming the following:
    1.) Everyone has a car, they don't.
    2.) Everyone can get off of work during office hours.

As has been repeated a thousand times, there is a segment of the population who are poor because they work for minimum wage, which in turns means they are less likely to be able to get out of work to get this done, and are less likely to have a car to make the trip.

And this group of people typically represent one voter group.

So that is the problem.....again.

20. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Interesting that there were so many issues this election. In the last mid term election when the laws were first implemented, I recall there being no issues and in fact people saying how smoothly everything went....granted more people traditionally vote in presidential cycles.