1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vipers Coach on Royce White: "He was as bad as anybody who can play on the floor tonight"

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I said similar things before, in a slightly different way.

Before even GETTING to Royce's level of dedication, justy the SCALE & PREPARATION in and of itself, the logistics JUST to get Royce from point A to point B, all the travel arrangements and advanced planning and monitoring,

that its naturally just gonna have TIME AND ENERGYr esources SUCKED AWAY from something ELSE in the day. There's only so much allotted time in a day.

Royce is gonna be on the road so much that he'll have to SACRIFICE AWAY efforts from other things. Royce is just too booked up during season and its overrunning into other things. Which means DOWNTIME and offseason is absolutely VITAL to Royce's development.

But Royce didnt use his downtime seriously enough to prepare. Thats a mark against him. But its a FAIR one since he's the one thats applied in so much more of his matters than the allotted prep time can handle. So its up to Royce to show he'll still do the prep in his special schedule

2. dragonz

dragonz Member

THIS IS SUCH AN INSULT TO T-WILL!

1 person likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

All I'm saying is that basketball does not have to be his favorite thing in the whole world for him to excel at it. Maybe his primary passion is for music/writing, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have enough passion for basketball to succeed. To state that he has (and I assume this is what you meant) no passion for basketball is, with all due respect to your opinion, ludicrous. The guy has invested time in basketball, and apparently it has never been easy for him to do so.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Fair enough you want to side with this kid..for whatever reasons....
    Know this... this kid does not want to be treated as an asset but as long as Morey is GM there will always be a disconnect.... unless he becomes an NBA allstar or superstar like Lebron... won't be happening soon and IMO not at all without the PT

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, you can have multiple passions in life. But his passion for basketball is weak. The dedication is missing, the fire is missing - that's pretty much the definition of having passion for something.

He's talented at basketball, but doesn't sound like he really loves it compared to his other interests.

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I'd still like to see him succeed - while the body type and physical attributes led to Anthony Mason talk, I can't go along with that comparison with a guy that is a cigar store indian on defense.

I look at him and see an infinitely more skilled/talented Luke Walton, and I'm always keen on facilitators on offense.

My hopes for him are all but extinquished though. Too many red flags. Red flags may not even be the right word.

I see a disinclination to earn his place. I see a fascination with attention that supersedes accomplishments. I see an entitled attitude and behavior suggesting he thinks he's "above" the D-League. I see a complete lack in professional integrity going along with dubious drive to better himself as an athlete. I see no commitment to personal fitness.

I don't know how many players with more than one of the above attributes have had a distinguished NBA career, even as reserves. The one guy that keeps coming to mind as being most similar to Royce? Derrick Coleman. And he came into the league FAAAARRRR more talented and NBA ready. I'm not even sure Royce cares enough to qualify as a cut the check type.

My guess is, he comes up in April to sit the pine when the D-League wraps up. Gets a second chance in October to show something and work on the bridges he burned down. But most likely goes back to the Vipers until the trade deadline. If he goes cancer in McAllen? Suspension. But he won't be cut until after the 2014 trade deadline passes.

WTF? Are you serious? Nothing to do with responsibility and accountability?

A mistake is posting something stupid on twitter. A mistake is taking a Tylenol PM in the morning thinking it was regular asprin.

Picking up a basketball once a week* during a 3+ month sit out is not a mistake. Sitting around eating fast food** when you aren't playing ball or working out isn't a mistake. It's lazy.

He didn't end up out of shape simply because he wasn't on the court with the Rockets/Vipers. He let himself go and didn't even try. When this is your professional career, that's damning. NBA careers are relatively short, and history has shown, time and time again, that players that work hard on their physique (nutrition plus workouts) last twice as long as those that rely on the games themselves to stay in reasonable shape.

He's already got a hill to climb to adjust to the speed and tremendous athleticism he's going to see in the NBA. His best chance is to transition to the 3 as something of a point forward. But carrying that bulk? It's not happening. And he's not breaking through our logjam at the 4 playing the way he is.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>That moment when somebody brings the best meal at the perfect time. A number 2 from <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23Wendy">#Wendy</a>'s... WITH no onions. STOP IT! <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23ImFatSoWhat">#ImFatSoWhat</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/284906354198577152">December 29, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Lol, So I guess I can only play basketball OR work fast food restaurants? Good thing for me this is also very illogical. <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a> Friends...</p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/285786052009021440">December 31, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  7. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

This is the funniest thing I've read. He refused to goto work, means he didn't reject a dleague assignment? He rejected his job, even worse. He did not intentionally get out of shape? Lol wut?

How many guys would still have a job after refusing to goto work for a "strike"? And why couldn't he work out? There are people that aren't athletes but they work out for the sake of staying in shape. Its not part of their contract. You keep making excuses for him. Why? There is no excuses for a professional ball player to be out of shape.

8. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Nobody says he has to be one-dimensional, but from all appearances, basketball will need to be something he cares about more if he intends to succeed.

And don't start with the Renaissance Man thing. He fancies himself a poet? A musician? Good for him. Hopefully his endeavors are personally rewarding, but they also require some level of commitment in order to make him anything but a "dabbler."

My son is a jazz musician in New York. He breathes music. Four tough years at a conservatory, now working on a Masters degree, four to six hours a day in a practice room — there is a certain level of commitment and sacrifice you have to have in order to do anything worthwhile.

If Royce showed any of that commitment to music, he might have the right to call himself a musician.

If he showed even some of that commitment to basketball, maybe he could one day call himself a Rocket.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

This. There's no excuse for White being as out of shape as he is. I'm baffled, honestly. Does he seriously believe he can screw around like he has when he took his extended vacation and make it in the NBA? What on earth was he thinking?

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am so glad that Clutch opened up a Vipers area just to get this abomination of a player out of the GARM - where real Rockets are talked about.

Royce is a cancerous lesion, the sooner it is cut out the better for the org.

DD

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He's not a cancer. That's ridiculous. He's just a joke.

12. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Cut him already. Please. You cannot make a championship run with this kind of mental instability. Regardless of his talents. I can easily see him bail during the playoffs or using it as leverage. Let him loose and let's focus on basketball.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm glad he opened it as well, but not for the reason you gave (although I have to admit it's a benefit!). My problem is getting in the habit of checking out this forum. I'm still not used to it being here. When Clutch moves a thread from the GARM to the Vipers forum, I notice and remember this is going on. It was a great idea.

14. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

Metta World Peace is already the poster child of mental health in the NBA. Royce White is no activist, he's being a self-important jerk.

15. cyclorider

cyclorider Member

No. He won't.

Two out. Bottom of the ninth.

Morey swings... Patrick Patterson.

Strike one!

Morey swings... Marcus Morris.

Strike two!

Morey swings... Royce White.

Strike three!

You're out!

16. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Kid has talent to be something special in the NBA. But its going to end there.

At one of the Vipers v Legends game in Frisco I saw him give a teammate a "damn it that was my rebound" look. The guy didn't see it as he was heading down court, but the look on Royce' face was distinct.

What a waste of space.

17. Mock

Mock Member

In my eyes it's very disrespectful to post a thread and a tweet about a bad performance. Everyone has bad games and sometimes god aweful games *Dwade 2 points in a playoff game*. In my eyes those are the worst stat sheets ive ever seen and to me it's kind of irrelevant to even post or even mention. Yeah he had a bad game but is it really worth noting pubic-ally crtizing him. you do know he is on the Rockets? and out of everyone it's pretty sad that his own team and community downs his performance. he shouldn't be praised but he shouldn't be bashed either.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am glad he opened it too, but a good extra feature is the lack of Royce stuff in the GARM.

Royce is a fraud, IMO.

DD

19. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He sure as **** should be bashed. Have you lived under a rock for the past several months?

He has brought every ounce of whatever he gets entirely on himself. If he didn't want the extra scrutinization, he should not have brought so much unwarranted attention to himself and his employer.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I don't know that; I don't know that that is wrong, either. But, I'm a fan so I hope this is just a blip and not just a blimp.