1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vipers Coach on Royce White: "He was as bad as anybody who can play on the floor tonight"

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by Clutch, Feb 23, 2013.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I didn't want this to get lost in tonight's game thread, but if this is much ado about nothing, I'll merge.

For those who don't know, Royce White played very poorly tonight. I only caught the fourth quarter, but he looked bad in that stretch to me, and I didn't know his stats up to that point because the NBDL box score was way behind. He wasn't close on a pair of drives and didn't look super interested. Granted, they were down big at this point (they ultimately lost by 28... at home), but before his final play, he walked up the court and pulled his jersey out, then they called timeout.

I tweeted his stat line when it was available:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>In 20+ min tonight, Royce White scored 3 pts on 1-8 FG, 1-6 FTs, 3 assists, 5 turnovers. Vipers lost by 28 at home. He'll be there awhile.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans.net (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/status/305167222505086977">February 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

... and Royce retweeted it, even though he doesn't follow us. Obviously he wasn't happy with it.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>“@<a href="https://twitter.com/awexler">awexler</a>: @<a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans">clutchfans</a> @<a href="https://twitter.com/highway_30">highway_30</a> for time being that's the best place to play &amp;amp; practice, get better, get comfortable” Lol! <a href="https://twitter.com/search/%23BeWell">#BeWell</a></p>&mdash; Royce White (@Highway_30) <a href="https://twitter.com/Highway_30/status/305173215406350337">February 23, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But when I was watching him at the end tonight, I was wondering how Vipers coach Nick Nurse would respond. The Vipers, like the Rockets, are a pretty proud organization and they aim high. David Hinojosa of The Monitor in Rio Grande Valley got this quote.

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/houston_rockets/article_d11a6cda-7d7f-11e2-86e6-0019bb30f31a.html

What do you think ... just one bad game, or a bigger problem?

2. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Didn't get a chance to watch, but it seems like he tried to play hero ball when it's evident he's not at that level just yet. Whether it be the lack of practice or conditioning, I don't know. I caught him a couple times when he was with the buckeyes and it looked like he bulldozed past guys many times. Granted he should still be able to do that in the D-League, but that might explain it. Still think he has great vision though, but he does sometimes pass too much instead of going for open shots. Also, a lot of his game is based on flash instead of results. Until he can learn to be more effective overall, he'll be there for a long time. Hopefully he has the will to work through this, I like all our players but he's no use to us as a scrub.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do they bench NBA players down there when they are playing worse than the regular D-leaguers?

4. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Royce showing some serious attitude and ego problems, he probably thinks he's the best guy out there and can't take it when he gets blamed for his poor play. Zero accountability and responsibility with this guy, this is a bigger problem as I think he will never get it.

1 person likes this.
  5. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

Agreed.

As Jimmy Johnson [ex Cowboys coach] said, fatigue makes cowards of us all.

I would have to wait and see how he plays after a few weeks until he is in basketball shape. His style of play is conducive to the type of stat line, low FG% and high turnover rate, without conditioning and timing.

How he responds to a bad game like this, whether he'll work his ass or check out mentally (ho-hum), would, for me, be an indicator of whether or not there is a bigger issue.

6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Royce White is a scrub. Hopefully some other team is dumb enough to want him. Thank goodness we have other bigs to work with.

7. jocar

jocar Member

He looked great in his opening game. I hope he's not thinking he's proven himself worthy of rotation already

8. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No pressure....

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I honestly even if this guy suddenly plays well and makes it into the rotation there is no way of knowing where his head will be in a few months time.

I'm more worried about his attitude at this stage more so than his talent. I mean this guy could have a great season with us and refuse to play in the playoffs for whatever reason.

10. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am also waiting to see how he responds to this. We have to see where he is once he is back in basketball condition.

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What do you guys think has a greater likelihood of happening, Royce contributing as a member of the Rockets' rotation at some point during his rookie contract, or Royce being waived in the next year?

12. c1utchmatic

c1utchmatic Member

Pretty sure Morey is gonna stick with this guy. I think he has great talent, he just needs to put in work this summer and whenever he can. If things don't pan out next year then he'll let him go lol

13. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

^He's clearly out of shape: Hands on his hips, not bending his knees on defense and lack of explosion to the basket.

14. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

I have a feeling this Royce White saga won't end well for both Royce White and the Rockets...

15. rogower

rogower Member

From Larry Coon's Salary Cap FAQ: "Teams have until the October 31 preceding the player's second regular season to exercise their option for the player's third season."

In other words, Houston has until 10/31/13 to decide if they want to exercise the option for Royce White's third season (2014-15), and if they do pick up that option, they will owe him $1.8 mil that season, and he will take up one of only fifteen roster spots.

White has some work to do if he expects the Rockets to exercise their team option for Year 3 of his contract. If/when they decide to not exercise it, my guess is that he will be waived. If I had to put money on it, I'd say that he will be waived before the 2013-14 regular season begins. There are thirty NBA teams, with fifteen roster spots per team. 30 x 15 = 450. Royce White is not even close to being one of the top 450 basketball players on the planet.

1 person likes this.
  16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That is very easy: #2.

How Royce White reacts to adversity in D-league will show whether he has a remote chance of ever playing in an NBA game. This is nothing compared to the hot spotlight of competing in games that matter against the best players in the world. If he can't handle criticism from his D-league coach after a sorry game, grind his way into shape and perform consistently well, forget him.

I'm also more concerned about his attitude (mentality) than talent. His sorry attitude is what will keep him out of the NBA.

17. tminusrex

tminusrex Rookie

It was because of Royce that the Rockets asked for two second round picks.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I don't know what there is to "LOL" about in those comments. Clutch and Adam Wexler are NOT scandal tabloid media. They follow classy protocols as well as anyone.

Royce White: You did not play a good game. You played a bad game. That is as evident and straight to the point a conclusion as can be made.

Do you want someone to say you played a GREAT game, and to say its AN NBA WORTHY performance? It was not, and you know this.

This is actually a KEY moment right here - how WELL do you REBOUND and BOUNCE BACK from ADVERSITY and critique?

Just shake it off and try harder next time, and next times after that.

Its up to Royce White. Its just one game if he wants it to be, if he just goes back and puts in effort work.

If White visibly sulks next 2 games, its obvious its a bigger issue.

#18 Shroopy2, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. NotChandlerParsons

Royce has a history of tweeting dumb stuff and basketball players the world over have a history of having bad games. I guess I don't see it as a really big deal. Really wish he would get off the fricking twitter though.

1 person likes this.
  20. Parpar2j

Parpar2j Member

Let's him go

1 person likes this.