1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Videogames] XB1 self-service refunds & multi-generational hardware

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Phil_Spencer_looks_to_the_future_of_Xbox.php
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017...me-more-steam-like-with-self-service-refunds/

Lot of cool stuff going on recently with Xbox. Having a clear Steam-style self-service refund system is huge, and really complements their Play Anywhere initiative.

And, Spencer is making some pretty strong statements about an intention to move forward with multi-generational hardware even beyond Scorpio, which to me has a myriad of positive effects. Cutting off to an entirely new console generation means you have that inevitable lag where developers aren't that interested in the platform early because the install base is small and opportunities for it to increase are supply-limited. If you add in an assumption of multi-generation support going back to, say, the previous two generations, developers can release games that take advantage of newer hardware, but which still work with the larger install base of the previous two versions. That will vastly appeal to indie developers as well, that we're targeting top-level graphics in the first place.

And while one could argue the classic console advantage of having only one configuration to develop for is eroded, developing for three configs is still way easier than developing for a near-infinite number of PC configs.

I think Sony has gotten a bit fat and complacent recently due to being the market leader. They have a clear advantage in exclusives at this juncture in my mind, and they don't have ads in their UI to the same extent XB1 does. But that said, I like what Microsoft's been doing lately a lot more. Never been anything but impressed with Phil Spencer. Self-service refunds, a top-quality controller like the Elite, Play Anywhere, superior multimedia capabilities, a focus on providing backwards-compatibility for 360 games, and strong hints towards multi-generational hardware (of which the PS4 Pro could be the beginning, but Sony has remained quiet on whether it's an exception or a trend, unlike Microsoft). They're really doing all the right things and setting themselves up well to claw back some market share from Sony in future.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good points. I have went PS2, Xbox 360, PS4. So I am all for more competition between platforms so gamers can get the latest and greatest. I wish they could just make a deal with Steam and be done with it.

Sony is killing themselves with the mods (no external assets), and the backwards compatibility.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  3. Nero

Nero Member

It's too bad some good old properties are apparently going to just wither and die. It's nice that they are trying to think as far back as the 360, but man there are a few original XBOX games which could really thrive if updated and put in front of players who have never seen them.

I would REALLY love to see Fight Night Round 2 and Jade Empire get ported up onto the new platform.. man what fun games. That satisfying *KRUNCH* when you land a perfect haymaker.. (Round 3 sucked)..

And the combat in Jade Empire was just so perfect.

Someone needs to rescue those games from the oblivion of being forgotten..

Yung-T and Drexlerfan22 like this.
  4. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Refunds? It's great if you want to abuse the system, but since I'm a pretty honest human being it's not a big deal for me. If I don't like a game, I can sell it used. At the end of the day I still played the game.

5. Drexlerfan22

The self-service refunds are referring to digital purchases, which to this point you've been stuck with, since you can't sell a digital game that's tied to your account. You could try selling your entire account, of course, but pretty sure that's against the terms of service, and an entirely different conversation.

I've never used Steam's refund service myself, either, but it's awfully nice to know it's there from a consumer-friendliness perspective. And it encourages giving a game a try that you don't know a lot about... at the end of the day I'd bet there's a net gain between the uptick in digital sales to the risk-averse and games that actually get returned, outside of a small set of repeat-abusers that monitoring could flag anyhow.

6. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Understood, I wasn't sure why this was such a big deal. I stopped playing on consoles but when I used to I would always buy a physical copy. Didn't realize you could not get a refund off of digital games.

7. Drexlerfan22

Yeah, I get it. In general I go out of my way to buy physical anyway in the console space... not really due to potential resale, but because I trust neither Sony nor Microsoft at the moment when it comes to maintaining access to my purchases in, say, 20 years (I love old games). Steam I do trust in that regard, so I've been all-digital on PC for years. I've got a big stack of physical PC game boxes that is likely to never grow taller than it is now.

But Play Anywhere might change the game a little bit even for me. Before there was no real benefit to buying digital over physical, besides just not dealing with discs. Play Anywhere means there's a very real, tangible benefit to buying digitally, because buying one license means you get to play it on XB1 and PC. And now, they're looking to add the returns to eliminate buyer's remorse. Think if after that, they start trying to get competitive with Steam on sales. Microsoft could position itself very well to get competitive with Steam if they wanted, which is something I wouldn't have dreamed of a couple years ago. Widespread adoption of such a system by gamers would likely push me over the edge into finally not buying discs for Xbox anymore.

In short, this is how you do it. This is how you implement what Microsoft was trying to accomplish when the XB1 was first announced! :D They took an approach of pushing people into all-digital by ditching physical media, when instead they should've been leaving physical media as an option but pulling people over to digital by showing how much better of a value it is.

8. Drexlerfan22

Personally I agree, though I assume they are only thinking forward-looking from XB1 on at this point. I mean I still have Jade Empire, Kingdom Under Fire: Crusaders, and Panzer Dragoon Orta. For PDO alone I would never get rid of my 360. If all of a sudden XB1 supported original Xbox games as well as 360 ones, that would be awesome. I could get rid of my 360 so it wasn't taking up space anymore. But retroactively supporting / emulating a platform is harder than planning to support current games in future generations, so I'll take what I can get.

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

FYI: They have a Jade Empire Special Edition on PC/Origin, if you want to play it again. Just started a new playthrough this week, one of my favourite rpgs.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Xbox just needs more exclusives. I got the halo 5 edition xbox because halo is my favorite multiplayer game ever.

Aside from halo 5, gears of war 4, and free games with gold i havent ****ed with it.

Im hoping sea of thieves is good.

There are just way more ps4 exxlusives. I was gonna buy a switch and breath of the wild but......... I spent $ on rockets playoff ticket instead :)

11. Drexlerfan22

Yeah, I'm in much the same spot. The cancellation of Scalebound was a pretty big disappointment to me. But I'm looking forward to Cuphead, and I'm happy with the direction they're taking the platform, anyway.