1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Video Surveillance Systems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Space Ghost, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I hoping some of the more tech savy nerds here can help me find a good video surveillance system with DVR.

I am looking for a 6 to 8 channel system in the sub $500.00 range. Mostly I am looking for a reliable system that doesn't constantly crap out over all the fancy bells and whistles. Currently I am eyeing a SWANN but the reviews do not give me the best feeling of quality.

All these features would be nice but not mandatory:
    IP system
    night vision
    motion sensor
    True HD quality
    secure remote access

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Sub-500 IP system with 8 cameras....not sure you can get quality for that little $.

Cams- indoor or outdoor?

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Doesn't matter. I would prefer IP for the security, but would be fine with CCTV.

4. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

For that little money your best bet is probably to use a bunch of old Android phones with good cameras and an app like IP Webcam. Then spend the $500 on the recorder.

I hooked up an old android phone at my front door for fun and it is working great. I haven't set up recording or external access because I haven't had time and it's not high on my priority list.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Try FRY's. They always have a DVR-based systems on sale... so does NewEgg. :eek:

You can build your own with a few cameras and a good PC. Use iSpy... I do. I am using it RIGHT NOW at home.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I do this and it works great.

7. rawool

rawool Member

Cool, how many cameras do you have? Where are they placed, like exactly? Also, when are you home? :grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. Salvy

Salvy Member

Like that?
    [​IMG]

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

DON'T KNOW IF SERIOUS. -__-

I only do motion detection... they're not constantly recording.

I forget the brand, but I have only two. One is wi-fi. :eek: Another camera is set up directly onto the PC itself... it's a "webcam" by HP.

FYI, I'm home all the time, man. ALL THE TIME. :p

1 person likes this.
  10. Salvy

Salvy Member

Thats cool, I bet Rodman's cameras are set to record in GIF.....

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Thanks for the info. We're expecting our first kid and I was looking into those video monitors they sell for babies. It sounds like iSpy might be a better solution. Just noticed they recently released a Windows 8 app as well.

1 person likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Not sure what the offer will be, but Amazon will have a surveillance system on sale as one of the 'hourly' deals today (03/13) at 7:00 PM CDT.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

On that note- when I was shopping around for security cam stuff on Amazon the reviews on security cameras were very fishy- I think the review system was gamed by a company or two in that category.