1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vet called up for duty 13 years after honorable discharge!?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rockHEAD, Nov 8, 2004.

1. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Is this the shape of things to come?? Very scary.... :eek:

2. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

No wonder Bush can say there won't be a draft.

3. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

If they tried to make me leave Kauai for Iraq I'd put up a fight too.

[​IMG]

vs.

[​IMG]

That sucks.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Freedom isn't free!

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It costs a buck o five

6. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Let Iraqies fight Iraqies

Let Afghanistans fight Afghanistans

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

we tried that. the kerry campaign said it meant we "outsourced" the war on terror.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Don't forget to leave cookies for Santa Claus on December 24th.

Santa gets really hungry delivering all of those toys all over the world.

9. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

If they called me back to service I would **** a brick too. I did my service after I had voluntary enlisted and I am not going back. No way, no how. That may piss off some people that are military fanatics and to you I say if you love it so much, re-enlist. This dude isnt going. I dont believe in what we are doing. I dont believe in our commander in chief. I totally support our troops because they are the ones that are fighting and dying. I hate the situation that they are in. They are truly heros. W is not.

10. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

Same here!

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

"A veteran of the first Persian Gulf War is suing the Army after it ordered him to report for duty 13 years after he was honorably discharged from active duty and eight years after he left the reserves.

Kauai resident David Miyasato received word of his reactivation in September, but says he believes he completed his eight-year obligation to the Army long ago.

"I was shocked," Miyasato said Friday. "I never expected to see something like that after being out of the service for 13 years."

His federal lawsuit, filed Friday in Honolulu, seeks a judgment declaring that he has fulfilled his military obligations.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Harry Yee said his office would defend the Army. He declined to comment further. An Army spokeswoman at the Pentagon declined to comment to the Honolulu Star-Bulletin."

~rockHEAD

What is there to defend? Assuming the gentleman isn't making this up, why would the Justice Department "defend the Army?" If the man has completed his obligation, then why isn't the Army trying to straighten out the mess? There is something more than a bit bizarre about this story.

Keep D&D Civil!!

12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Doesn't the DOJ have primary responsibility to defend all suits brought against the Federal Government (of which the Army is a part)?

13. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You are also not able to sue the military which is a crock of ****.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Doesn't it also have the responsibility to see if there is even something to defend? To see if a error has in fact been made? How hard could it be to ask the Army to check it's records on this fellow and see if there has been a mistake? I seriously doubt if Mr. Miyasato would go to all the trouble of filing suit if he had received a satisfactory response from the Army. If he is past his 8 year commitment, how hard is that to confirm??

Keep D&D Civil!!

15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Most veterans wouldn't mind going back...One of my workers (Ryan) said he actually WANTS to...He is a real soldier, as the overwhelming majority of iron-clad, tried and true veterans...

He has offers from Blackwater, and Global for at least $140,000.00, but he'd rather get back in the grind,...and he has only been back from Iraq for 10 months...

Ryan and I talk about weapons all the time, and he keeps trying to get me over there since he thinks I would make a better officer than some of the others he has seen. The money appeal from Blackwater is great, but if he left my company it would be back in Iraq, and I can't be more proud of anyone I've worked with!...

16. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How does one soldier's opinion translate into most soldiers' opinions? :confused: I know three vets who wouldn't go back for anything. Does that mean most vets do mind going back?

17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I know my father who was a veteran of WWII really wanted to go back after that war was over. There was nothing like the joy on his face when he described seing rotting feet still inside shoes that weren't connected to a body. Walking around an island with the smell of dead soldiers, and their bodies all around really just lifted his spirits. Sadly he was in the Navy and only had to do some mop up of various pacific islands after all the fighting was done. So the occasions were rare when he was exposed to sights as gloriously bloody and gruesome as that.

What a gay, happy, magnificent scene that was.

I can't imagine any REAL soldier would want to be home in the relative safety of Hawaii with their loved ones all around, when they could back to country in the grips of chaos, and internal strife, where people are being killed left and right, and the even the population that isn't fighting the soldiers wants them to go home. Most vets would give their teeth to get back there.