1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[VantageSports] Corey Brewer: A Wing Stopgap or Perfect Fit for Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Dec 20, 2014.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

I trust our coaching staff can make him adjust. see this years elite defense

2. baubo

baubo Member

If you read the article instead of greatly skewed quotes(not sure why the OP did it, but he did it nonetheless), or understand how Brewer plays in Minnesota, you'd realize that what you're saying is exactly the opposite of what's happening.

This gambling style was what made him so great in Denver. But when he went to Minnesota, they told him to stop because Denver had McGee and Minnesota had Pek(terrible defender). But he continued anyway. Probably because he can't play defense the normal, JVG way.

On the flip side, his defensive methodology is PERFECT for the Rockets, because the Rockets play this same style. It works in Houston because we rotate better and we have better defensive bigs in Dwight and DMo(odd saying that).

I bet if you watch Brewer play with us, he will continue to gamble a ton, and it will pay off. Because the cost/reward relationship becomes much better when Dwight's defending the paint and you're not playing next to Kevin Martin. Brewer's not an on-ball defender and probably never will be. He's a gambler and on this team, the coaches will want him to gamble.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

We need Wright. He would allow us to continue to play the passing lanes aggressively when Dwight sits.

4. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

That is wholly inaccurate. The defense was horrific last year and looks markedly better this year.

5. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Its a good thing Brewer doesn't have to defend all by himself with us. I'd suspect many of his Wolves team mates probably have similar ratings since they play from behind so much. Here, he can buy into a team playing great team defense with something to play for.

I'm not saying he'll change into some awesome defender, but I do expect significant improvement.

6. raining threes

If I was Fisher that dunk would've ended Brewer's night.

Should've given Brewer a right jab to the scrotum.

7. vlaurelio

Why? You think everyone who dunks deserve that?

8. raining threes

^^^^
    This

Plus Brewer should be able to reduce Harden/Ariza's mins by about 10 mins a game each. 20 mins of Brewer a game of going all out on both ends of the floor will help me not cringe every time the bench takes the floor.

Another plus is we don't ever have to watch the terribleness that is Garcia ever again. That alone makes this trade a win. I'm just glad to be able to watch the Rockets again. Go ROOT sports.

9. raining threes

I didn't say Brewer deserves that.

I'm just an old time BB player with terrible ankles. If you cant jump you just have to level the playing field. Kinda like the old Celt's/Jazz no layup rules.

10. vlaurelio

Old school guys still make a play for the ball or take a charge

11. prs325

prs325 Member

NO! Fisher deserves to be tea bagged

1 person likes this.
  12. raining threes

Truth

13. kemah

kemah Member

lol

Heh heh, Brewer getting a HJ.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I am hopeful of this too.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A lot of stuff to discredit the common notion that he's overall a good defender.

But the key assessment for us is in the end:

[rquoter]The popular preconception of Corey Brewer is that he is an above-average defender, who could help a team in need of size, athleticism, and defense on the wing. While Brewer certainly has defensive weaknesses and won't contribute on offense, he does play a style of pressure defense that the Rockets have had success with this season. Moreover, his weaknesses are in parts of the game that may not hurt the Rockets too much. Overall, this probably makes Brewer a good fit for the Rockets, and this trade will make their defense even stronger and more frustrating for opponents' offenses than it already was.[/rquoter]

16. haydenfisher342

reminds me of the drexler dunk. Drexlers is way better though

[​IMG]

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Exactly!

We are struggling offensively this season.
    That Brewer has a reputation as a defender doesn't hurt him - but we WANT him to gamble on those steals, and get out and run and finish.
    If he misses on the steal, just get back in line - he hasn't had Dwight behind him in the past has he?
    Besides, he has NEVER logged a -ve number on the defensive win share side of the ball anyway. Was 2.7 last season - which is pretty good.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

Won't contribute on offense? He rang up 51 points on the Rockets. Anyone that can score that well and that often must have something.

19. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Some players play harder on better teams. If you are always losing you tend to slack off, we've seen this with other players around the league.

20. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

/thread