1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Van Gundy Fires Back At Mavs Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, May 6, 2005.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure that he was being sarcastic.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

agreed.

3. Jeffster

Jeffster Contributing Member

And I'm exactly the opposite. I love Avery and I always will. He's hilarious and he just wants to win. I hope he will be a successful NBA coach, I just don't want him to win *this* series. I don't know how well he will do in the future or not, because he's very much an old school guy in many ways, and a lot of today's players don't respond to that, so they might start tuning him out. I thought that press conference was awesome. Pure Avery. And I don't think it was really a slap at JVG, more of a knock on the media if anything, but mostly it was just exactly what he said it was. "Going crazy" to try to fire up his team for game 7. Like I said, against anybody else, I would hope it works, and I really don't mind if it works this time, because I think the Rockets will match the Mavs intensity in game 7. It should be a fantastic game. I have this funny feeling we will be seeing overtime tonight.

4. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

So when people refer to the president as a monkey, it's ok? But if the person happens to African-American then it's racist?

The very act of treating people differently - whether in a cruel or overly protective manner - by virtue of the colour of their skin, is, by definition racism.

My point is that if he had the same facial shape and was Caucasian, you wouldn't have a problem with him being called a monkey. You're the only one bringing race into the equation.

5. pdiddy

pdiddy Contributing Member

I don't normally post, but it is a racist comment. I think he was pointing it out so that it won't be done again and people wouldn't say i didn't know.

6. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Contributing Member

Actually, it's a comment that has been used by racists. That doesn't make the comment itself racist nor does it mean that anyone who uses it is racist.

7. New Jack

New Jack Member

With all the drama and animosity between these two teams, it's hard to believe this just a 1st round series.

8. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

People compare Ewing to a gorilla all the time. While it can be used in a racist way, I don't think it is here.

I've met nWo34life, and he's not racist in any way, shape or form. He's good people.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

LIZ Robbins knows her stuff... ;)

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/07/sports/basketball/07rockets.html?th&emc=th (need subscription? use bugmenot.com, or cc.fans :) )

Coaches Trade Some Words Before Game 7

Louis DeLuca/Associated Press [picture caption]
    Tracy McGrady has led the Rockets in a fiery series with the Mavericks, often scoring almost at will and frequently frustrating Dallas's Dirk Nowitzki.

By LIZ ROBBINS
    Published: May 7, 2005
    DALLAS, May 6 - Jeff Van Gundy kept the Texas shootout alive on the eve of Game 7 in a series that has been swirling with controversy and thrills by the Rockets and the Mavericks.

Van Gundy, the Rockets' coach, apologized again for comments he made last Sunday about what he said he perceived as bias in the officiating of center Yao Ming. He also shot back at Mavericks Coach Avery Johnson.

Van Gundy had asserted that an N.B.A. official had called him with information that the league was singling out Yao for fouls.

"I would be the first one to admit I made mistakes," Van Gundy said Friday. "I apologized the other day. I am truly sorry for using the word bias, for bringing another person into it, for not thinking enough about the ramifications or implications of the word bias and how it could affect the integrity of the league. I couldn't be more contrite for those things." [LOVE THIS.]

After the Rockets drilled the Mavericks, 101-83, in Game 6, Johnson spoke emotionally from the interview room, but never used Van Gundy's name. "Maybe I should go crazy and then you talk about how the coach went crazy; that's what this series is about," Johnson said sarcastically.

But that is what this series has been about.

"He can feel free to use my name; he doesn't have to speak around it," Van Gundy. "My only point was don't speak around it, speak to it. If you want to come after me, I understand it. No one knows I screwed up more than I did. No one has to tell me.

"Well," he added with a laugh, "they have."
    LOL :D

Van Gundy also criticized Johnson, who took over for Don Nelson on March 19, for what Van Gundy said was Johnson's hypocrisy. After Game 1, Johnson berated the referee Joey Crawford, running after him and confronting him. Johnson was later fined $10,000.

"I would have just expected more from a coach who, after he did what he did, I tried to support," Van Gundy said.

At the Mavericks' practice on Friday, Johnson shrugged off the remarks he made after Game 6, saying he was his normal self and joking that he was "disappointed nobody offered to pay my $10,000 fine. I've been in Texas longer than Jeff."

Over two exhaustive weeks of postgame rants, 20-0 and 19-0 runs and scintillating fourth-quarter finishes, there has been one calm constant: Tracy McGrady. The Rockets' small forward has been an unstoppable force; no one else has scored more than 25 points each game, and McGrady has averaged 31.3.

McGrady has deflated Dirk Nowitzki, turning him into a frustrated shadow. He has also played cheerleader to Yao, who had a dismal Game 6. McGrady is also averaging 7.5 rebounds and 6.7 assists.

Can he get any better?

"I had several people ask me that," McGrady said. "Like, what's going on with you? Are you getting better?' You know what? I think I can."

That is bad news for the Mavericks, who squandered their lead in a series that has been anything but predictable.

"How do you defend Michael Jordan? It's the same thing, like with Kobe and Shaq. He's that type of player," Johnson said of McGrady. "He's going to get his 30 against anybody, no matter what you do. The more he feels like he has to do everything himself and not have as much help, the better it is for us."

In Game 6, the Rockets reserve guards Mike James (22 points) and Jon Barry (12 points in the fourth quarter) provided the support that McGrady had not received for most of the series.

The Mavericks were there own worst enemy, missing 17 consecutive shots in the fourth quarter during the Rockets' 19-0 run. Nowitzki missed 17 of 22 shots in the game.

McGrady steered away from making the prediction that his teammate Dikembe Mutombo made before Game 6, saying he would do his finger-wag in Phoenix, after advancing to the second round.

McGrady no longer makes predictions after the one he made in 2003 when his Magic had a 3-1 lead and ultimately lost to Detroit in seven games.

This time, McGrady is prepared for Game 7.

"This is the game," he said.

But it was not the only game in town on Friday. Van Gundy still had plenty to say.

"I never meant to impugn the integrity of the N.B.A.," Van Gundy said, repeating the words used by the Rockets' owner, Les Alexander. "No one has benefited more in life from the N.B.A. I was coaching at McQuaid Jesuit High School and Rutgers as a part-time assistant. I've tried to be a positive reflection. I think I have and at times, I've made mistakes."

Van Gundy alluded to his running onto the court in 1998 and grabbing Alonzo Mourning's leg during a melee between the Knicks and the Heat.

Van Gundy said his actions looked worse upon reflection.

"Sometimes when you see what you said or see what you do, running on the court tackling people," he said. "You hope the totality of your career is viewed in totality, not in sound bites or 4 or 5 seconds of temporary insanity loss."

Commissioner David Stern seemed to indicate that Van Gundy's job would be in jeopardy if he did not reveal the name of the referee.

Was Van Gundy worried?

"I don't think right now is the time to think about anything like that," he said.

10. pdiddy

That's fair, but when used to describe a African-American it is considered a racist comment. So just be careful and use one of the many other words in the dictionary to describe someone.

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Screw all this racism crap.

Avery is a freakin chimp and everybody and their mama knows it.

12. pdiddy

That is exactly what I am talking about. No big deal. People try to educate you guys and still this comment. It's cool ... most black people have dealt with this their whole lives. Still a long way to go.

Rocketman95 - We don't like it when you call Patrick Ewing a gorilla. Why a gorilla?

I just say do you. Hopefully we can get back to basketball and not describe people as primates.

13. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

There are plenty of species of monkey that are white, brown, red, etc. But whatever their color, they all seem to share the same facial features as little Avery. Not to mention all the animated mannerisms and sound bytes. Case in point, "Hoo Hoo Hoo Ha Ha Ha." Avery's so cute and lively ya just wanna put him on a leash and start bustin tunes on your accordian!

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

No bro, chimps are a completely different type of species from monkeys. For one thing, chimps are a lot more intelligent. I'm sticking with monkey. ;)

15. leehoang

leehoang Member

Avery Johnson is the biggest joke of the playoffs...

This guy isn't no fu*king coach.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ya'll take this racism or NOT crap to the D&D... can we focus on the games without bashing people's colors and facial features? do it in the D&D. :mad:

17. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

I visit a football board all the time and arguements between Mavs fans and Rockets fans break out all the time. One thing we all agree on though is that Avery sucks as a playoff coach.

18. isoman2kx

isoman2kx Member

avery = monkey

plain and simple.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Cool man. I just wanted to point out that the people saying this...at least the ones I've met personally...aren't racists. If it bothers you, I can completely understand (well, not competely as I've never been a victim of racism, at least not anywhere close to the level that millions of others have) and I'll refrain from making the comparisons.

20. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You guys are nuts. Avery isn't Van Gundy, he's a rookie coach. But he's a good coach now and he will only get better. Save the hatred and enjoy the series. Your anger should be directed towards poor officiating and cheap shot artist Josh Howard. Avery is a native houstonian, he was a great team player, and he's a good coach.