1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Van Gundy Fires Back At Mavs Coach

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gatorfan76, May 6, 2005.

1. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Heh heh...AJ. A pisssed off Daffy. :D Yep. That fits him to a T.

2. robbarnett

robbarnett Member

I love how JVG has changed this season. He's got a real fire in his belly and he doesnt seem to be as set in his ways like he used to be. He's really adapted and grown along with this team.

3. McMingDynasty

McMingDynasty Contributing Member

Never liked AJ. Still don't like AJ. Never will like AJ.

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

That's awesome. JVG rules. Don't beat aroudn the bush....sweet! :D

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Can't wait for the burning of the hat tomorrow!!!!

6. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

JVG really put it to AJ with that quote. i didn't like JVG for about 1 1/2 seasons but he has changed his offensive approach letting the fellas run more and him sticking up for his players has won me over. JVG has my FULL support and i want him to be our coach. that is something i wouldn't have said last season or about 2 months ago, but i do know. i respect JVG almost as much as Rudy T, ALMOST but i think he's won a lot of people over and for good reasons.

7. FranchiseBoi86

Uh oh, could this be another $100,000 fine for JVG?:rolleyes:

8. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

I would pay good money to see Van Gundy and Avery Johnson throw down.

9. glad_ken

glad_ken Contributing Member

I don't like the monkey name calling. Its a racist term used to describe black people. Its almost like saying your less than human. I just don't like it and I wish people will stop saying it about Avery.

10. ahbuchen

ahbuchen Member

tmac, I think JVG will give you a courtside ticket for free.

11. tested911

tested911 Member

Right now I have never ever been more proud to have a coach of Van Gundy's caliber.

Go Rockets!!!!!!

" Believed after game 3,4 and 5"

Were going to the 2nd round baby... Rockets 114 Dallas 108

12. exiaol

exiaol Contributing Member

Originally posted by hotballa

Man, that picture gave me a great laugh!

Bring it on – My Precious ---- Duck!

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Gundy has captured our hearts. Its like the coach that went out of his way, and was fired just for what he believed in, HIS TEAM, what movie was that? I can't remember but Jeff reminds me of that. I never thought I would say this, but I love him as much as a man can love another man!

14. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

No, it would be a way of paying off his fine and giving the fans what they want at the same time.

15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

To think I was criticizing JVG so much earlier this year. Now I almost wish he would adopt me.

(incredulous silence)

OK, that's exaggerating. But the guy is cool.

16. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3171670

Now this is just plain sad:

Seeking love, dollars

Avery Johnson is looking for love from Mavericks fans after so many in Houston rallied to Jeff Van Gundy's side after he was fined $100,000 by NBA commissioner David Stern.

"You know what I'm disappointed with? Nobody volunteered to pay my $10,000 fine after Game 1," said the Mavs coach, who was hit for arguing with referee Joey Crawford as he left the floor. "Even my son, Avery Jr., I said, 'Man, you didn't offer to give me any money out of your piggy bank to help Daddy pay for his fine.'

"So I don't know what's going on and I've been in Texas longer than Jeff (Van Gundy). Nobody's offered to pay my fine. That's a shame, man. What is it, something about me?"

Johnson claimed that his bizarre tirade after Game 6, when he complained about media coverage of the Van Gundy affair, was not a case of him engaging in gamesmanship with the Rockets coach.

"I haven't been a coach that long to understand gamesmanship," he said. "I'm just trying to understand how to solve a pick-and-roll between Yao (Ming) and (Tracy) McGrady. That's what I lose sleep over."

17. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That is just pathetic. Yeah Avery, you really need your kid's piggy bank money to pay a fine to the NBA.

18. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

19. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

man, how can he compare the 2 fines? one's a stupid fine you get for b****ing to the ref, and the other's the biggest fine ever to a coach for basically challenging the entire NBA organization that has Stern making threats.

GO GUNDY

thanks garthomps for posting the article.

20. qrui

qrui Member

did van gundy just show a gesture of backing down? did he and stern have a behind the back deal already? i wonder.