1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vacuum for Dog Hair?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Big MAK, Jan 11, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

My dog (Alaskan Malamute) sheds like no ones business. Anyone have a vacuum (at a reasonable price) that works well with lots of pet hair? I've had vacuums in the past that get clogged easily with pet hair from a dog that sheds less than my current one. Any suggestions?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Dyson's are great, but may not be what you consider reasonably priced.

3. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

We just got one at Best Buy on an after Christmas sale for $299. It's an all floors stand up, not the roller ball one.

My dog Harp, is part husky and sheds like mad as well. This has been a great purchase for us. We burned out so many we decided we were getting a Dyson, this time. Very happy with it.

4. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Yeah, I read good things about them. I found a refurbished one for $200+$50 shipping, made for animals. I was hoping to get one for around 100 though...

5. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Do you know which model you got? I read good things about the DC14 and 15.

6. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

DC17 is the one we got.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

If you have dogs that shed badly and you need a vacuum, bite the bullet and buy the Dyson. It's not "reasonably priced." It is crazy that you are spending that much on a vacuum. But...

My wife and I burned through like 4 vacuums in under two years due to our pet hair problems. We finally gave in and bought they Dyson and it's been a Godsend. We could have just saved the $400 or so we blew on the other 4 by getting the Dyson from the start.

Edit: I also recommend you routinely use the Furminator product on your pet. It really gets a lot of that undercoat out that causes the shedding problems. Make sure you do it outside though. If you have any sort of Huskie/Malamute/Akita will you be stunned at just how much hair is in the undercoat.

8. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

According to Consumer Reports the higher end (~250-300) Kenmores are the best for pet hair and overall. They did not like Dysons that much.

I have experience with both the Kenmore (home) and Dyson (work) as well and they both seem pretty good. I have known of at least one Dyson that died prematurely.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

You sure you dont work for Dyson ;)

Thanks for your input, I'll probably try and find a refub Dyson.

I furminate usually once or twice a week. It helps for sure, but still too much hair in the house.

10. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Dyson. Not cheap, but worth the price. I found one a couple of years ago on woot.com.

Good luck.

11. Freik

Freik Contributing Member

my neighbor has 3 cats and i have 1 dog, they borrow my vacuum alot, its a Bissel cleanview bagless vacuum, like under 100 at target or walmart, it picks everything up great but gets clogged a bit, once every 2 months i have to spend about 10 minutes taking it apart and cleaning out the hoses, luckily it all comes apart and goes back together easily. I would suggest one of those until you can afford a dyson, thats what im doing.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Get a Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner. I've got a chow mix and a chocolate lab, and that vacuum picks up so much hair. I'm still astounded by how much they shed.

As others have mentioned, they're not cheap. But they have a lifetime guarantee, and they are excellent vacuum cleaners. Pick up a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% off coupon (they are always even if the expiration date has passed). That'll save you around $100.

Bite the bullet and get a stellar cleaner instead of burning through a mediocre one every 5-10 years.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Whatever vacuum you end up with is sure to have an extension for drapes, chairs, and so on. You might consider doing what we do with our beast. We use that attachment and vacuum the dog. He loves it. We do that probably once a week and I think it helps. Also gets a lot of the dander, although we aren't allergic to dogs (my wife's allergic to cats, however! :( ). So vacuum the dog and then vacuum everything else.

Also, buy one of these:

[​IMG]

They are terrific and get the underlying fur and stuff a regular brush doesn't touch. Places like Petsmart has them. And the next time you consider buying a dog? Get a Labradoodle. I had one during the 1970's and mid-'80's, before the name was ever dreamed up, one I got at an animal shelter. Half Black Lab and half Standard Poodle. Easily the best dog I ever had, incredibly smart, protective, but with good judgement, learned just about all the tricks a dog can do after showing him just a couple of times. AND THEY DON'T SHED!

[​IMG]

(Mine looked almost exactly like this one, at around 50 pounds)

14. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Agreed. I went through 4-5 vacuums due to dog and cat hair. Bite the bullet and get a Dyson. Great vacuum and picks up a ton of dirt and hair. Couldn't be happier.

15. cson

cson Contributing Member

2 weeks ago we got Bissell Pet Eraser for $145 at Target. Best one we've owned.
    Our dog is a great pyrenees, tons of shedding.

16. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Had that one as well. It lasted 14 months.

17. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

We have had one for about 9 months...its awesome.
    The belt on it broke about 4 months in. We replaced it ($5 and 1 minute to change) and it has been fine since. Not that it won't go in the next 6 months, but so far so good.

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

might i recommend the suck and cut...it certainly does suck

[​IMG]

19. Landlord Landry

pumice stone. $3 bucks, never gets clogged. works like a champ.