1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Longhorn football recruits 2002- this is getting silly!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by cmrockfan, Dec 28, 2001.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

Oh please, RM95

Conference championship games are the most pointless thing in college football sans the bowl system today. You match a team like OU or UT who without the extra game, is right in the National title hunt, against Colorado who has 2 losses already and everything to gain(BCS bowl) and nothing to lose. The same thing happened in the SEC this year as 11-1 UGA played a multiple loss Arkansas team. Plus, a majority of the major conferences(Pac 10, Big East, Big 10) do not have a conference championship game, so they have 1 less game they have to win to go to the big game.

Furthermore, tell me when has a Barnett coached Colorado team not lost in non conference play, to inferior opposition(see Fresno State, and Colorado State).

If you want to recite the fact he has coached 2 big 12 title games, let me remind you he doesn't have to deal with Oklahoma and Bob Stoops in his division every single year.

Sure Kansas State has a solid program, but you have seen their record against the elite teams in college football, Nebraska is way down under Solich, and the other 3 teams in that conference are mediocre at best.

But the fact remains Barnett's teams always start slow, and rise at the end of the season.

So while I think Mack could be a much better gameplanner than he is, Gary Barnett doesn't give us an appreciable advantage, especially when you consider Brown is the best recruiter in college football today.

I think UT fans in general have nearly impossible expectations for Mack and his teams, except I would agree a conference title and beating Oklahoma aren't unreasonable for us. Still, the Big 12 is the toughest conference in America right now, and probably has the 1st or 2nd best gameday coach in Bob Stoops. Plus, look how long it took Bobby Bowden to win his first national title, and he had tons of talent at Florida State.

In fact, Bobby Bowden is the reason why Mack and his UNC teams never won a conference championship, and it isn't as if the talent levels at those two schools were identical, or even close at the time.

Personally, I support removing Greg Davis, the OL coach, and maybe even Carl Reese, but in today's college football, the head coaches main responsibility is recruiting, because of all of the specialization of coaching positions. Since Brown is a master recruiter, I think he is doing his part of the equation part well. But he needs to get a bit of a mean streak, and cut the bad coaches on his staff. And if in 5 or so years, we still haven't beat OU or won a big 12 title, then yes, looking elsewhere for a head coach is applicable.

But give Mack time, just because Stoops bucked a trend and won a title so early in his coaching career, doesn't mean it is that easy to win one, period.

I realize we like things bigger in Texas, and have higher expectations than most schools, but let's keep things in perspective. We hadn't had back to back 10 win seasons at our tradition storied school in 30 or so years. Granted we play more games now, but 11-2 the last two years equates to about an .850 winning percentage, and to think a lot of fans don't find this acceptable, considering the difficulty of the big 12 conference.

Only one team can win it all, and as long as Mack recruits like he has, we will be one of a select group of teams that have a legit shot at it every year.

And to end this post, I personally like having Mack Brown represent my school. He is a man of class, and dignity, who commands respect throughout the land.

Life isn't only about football games, being a good guy should count for something as well, and in that respect, you will not find a better all around person for the coaching position at the University of Texas at Austin than Mack Brown.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

If I'm not mistaken, Moss beat up someone who pushed his girlfriend. Not sure if he ran from the police, but people panic.

Barnett threatened to remove the Buffalos from their helmets. Not sure that would qualify as an antic, but between he and Mack, I would rather have Mack represent the university.

DV, I think you're remembered more for conference chamionships than top ten finishes. I don't know the top ten teams in 99, but I think I can name most of the conference champions.

3. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Barnett's also done a magnificent job of pissing off the two biggest recruits in his tenure at Colorado, Marcus Houston and Craig Ochs.

Also, you have to deal with the thought that at least 4 times in any given year, Colorado is going to look like the worst team in the history of the world, including having your kick returner fumble the ball after being hit by the kicker, and then failing to even cover a kickoff in the next quarter, giving the opposing team the ball deep in your territory.