1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Longhorn football recruits 2002- this is getting silly!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by cmrockfan, Dec 28, 2001.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I laughed... But of course that probably confirms your fears. Sorry.

2. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Stuff like this makes me sick. Consider this:

Of all the UT recruits since Brown has been at UT, his classes have been divided in 1/2. 1/2 have been talented 4-5 star recruits, the other 1/2 were "sleepers" that he gave scholarships to at camp.

Ok, how many of these sleepers have worked out? Dakari Pearson...... Dakari pearson.... Dakari Pearson....

You can look at at past recruiting list and thought: Who's that? Chances are 4 years from now, youre still wondering, Who's that?

Yes every coach hits and misses on prospects. However, I have a serious issue with Brown and his staff's talent evaluation and player development. when no sleeper he has ever taken other than Pearson has become a good player.

3. drapg

drapg Member

Its ok. We already had our "Mike Williams" quota filled.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Foreman will change positions in August. We don't need anymore QB's :D

Here's hoping Limas Sweed makes us say Mike who?

5. Smokey

Have all the "sleepers" been from Texas? There could be a reason like maintaining good relations with Texas high school coaches.

6. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

You can't recruit ALL 4-5 star recruits. There aren't enough of them, and there are way too many other top notch schools in competition with the Longhorns.

And Marcus Tubbs was only considered a 3-star recruit out of high school

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You have a point. Mack offers alot of kids at his camp, but he's not the only one to do so. But, alot of these kids commit early, so alot of times, the beginning of Mack's classes are filled with 2 and 3 star guys.

Williams, allegedly didn't garner interest from our staff. We had already taken Miksch and Haney and had a ship saved for the ultra talented Robert Timmons. Another allegedly, we turned away AJ Nicholson last year because we ran out of ships. But, that's recruiting. You win some you lose some. Mack is as good as it gets in terms of recruiting.

8. gr8-1

If UT wanted, they could not offer alot of players soooo early and hold off. That's what FSU does, but look where they are also. Of course, other factors are there as well. UT could have a much larger prescence recruiting nationally, but would that alienate the Texas HS coaches.

But, you don't turn down a guy like Mike Williams, imo. Also, if Wesley Jefferson ends up being a stud, I'll be pissed.

9. gr8-1

OK, I can't watch anymore. Williams makes me sick.

10. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

My problem is not taking the 1 or 2 star recruits. My issues are:
    1.) they give scholarships out at camp
    2.) the sleepers they take never pan out.

I don't know if its player development or talent evaulation.

If you look at Oklahoma, they do a very good job with both talent evaluation and player development.

People always state that Mack brown is a great recruiter but cant coach.

I do believe Mack is a very good recruiter as he's able to convince highly ranked players to come here. I don't think he's a good talent evaluator. Our classes are always top heavy with great talent and not enough solid contributers.

Our talent is way overrated. The highly ranked players have done well. The non-highly ranked players have not.

Look at the class of beef. Very few of those OL were highly recruited (Except Jonathon Scott and Winston). How much depth do we have on the OL. Next year we lose Doane, Dockery, and Beau Baker.

Roy Williams, Chris Simms, D. Johnson, C Redding, Na. Vasher, R. Wright.... those have been our best players - all very highly ranked. That's not our weakness. Our weakness revolves around those unranked starters like Jason Glynn, Reed Boyd, etc. etc. etc.... guys who cant step in and play effectively.

Frankly Id be just as happy if Mack Brown and company just used some Rivals Database to recruit rather than basing decisions on their own talent evaluation.

11. gr8-1

Everybody does this.

It's the formerr.

That's about coaching. I can name you ten players Mack has beaten Stoops for in the last year.

It's true.

He is. I thought he wasn't a good evaluator until I saw that Stoops wanted is players. Mack isn't a good coach.

[quote[Look at the class of beef. Very few of those OL were highly recruited (Except Jonathon Scott and Winston). How much depth do we have on the OL. Next year we lose Doane, Dockery, and Beau Baker. [/quote]

The 01 class of beef, Mack swept. That's when I realized his recruiting ability. He swept the OL. Stoops and RC were after the same player. Reeves, Scott, Young, Winston, etc. are all about recruiing.

Wright is a freshman. Aaron Harris will beat Boyd out. Will Allen will start in front of Glynn.

12. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Of course everyone does this. The difference is that all the ones we offer turn out to be Gerald Hansen and Antonio Moore.

Im not saying we shouldnt do this or every sleeper should turn out to be a stud. However, almost every non-highly recruit weve had since Mack has been here has been unproductive.

Frankly I'd love to know who Stoops is recruiting and just use his list.

Yes I know Wright is a Freshman. That's my point. All the impact players we've recruited are the highly ranked ones. Other freshmen who were very good in the last few years: D. Johnson, R. Williams, etc...

I hope Will Allen is better than Jason Glynn. After 3 years we finally recruited a C, one position that we could never fill with a quality player. I hope Dallas Griffin (another sleeper) can eventually beat out his other sleeper counterparts.

Ben Wilkerson - god I wish we had him.

As far as A. Harris. Im glad we wasted his freshman year playing special teams. Dibbles, Timmons etc barely played yet burned a shirt... Im surprised Vincent Young didnt lose his shirt covering punts.

13. gr8-1

You know, some of the Aggies thought Bowden was stealing RC's list back in the day.

May have actually gotten Wilkerson or Morton or Carter. Apparently Mack and co. believe in "spinning down" players from other positions. We haven't gotten a true center in a while.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

For all the Mack Brown haters, all I want to say is Fred Akers. After we got rid of that guy because he wasn't Royal, we went through a decade and a half of mediocrity

15. gr8-1

UT is one of the handful of schools that can get almost any coach it wants. Dodds is to blame for the bad hirings. Heck, he wanted Barnett over Brown but Hicks and company intervened (thank God).

16. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Barnett's actually tasted a championship outside the month of February.

17. gr8-1

True, but some of his antics and his player's antics shine a bad light on the university.

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Very good point.

19. Smokey

What did Barnett do wrong?

20. Smokey

The only thing I can think of is an off campus party for recruits in which a girl accused a player of rape. By that logic, Augie is a poor reflection on UT cause of what Moss did last year.