1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Longhorn football recruits 2002- this is getting silly!

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by cmrockfan, Dec 28, 2001.

1. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

National rankings in bold (rivals100.coms)

01. OL Justin Blalock - Plano East - 6'3", 305, 5.3 15
    02. DL Sonny Davis - Austin Lanier/Gulf Coast JUCO (MS) - 6'3", 300, 5.0
    03. DL Larry Dibbles - Lancaster HS - 6'4", 280, 4.7
    04. RB Clint Haney - Smithson Valley HS - 6'0", 195, 4.27
    05. RB Albert Hardy - Galena Park - 5'11", 223, 4.5
    06. LB Aaron Harris - North Mesquite - 6'0", 230, 4.63 54
    07. DL Tully Janszen - Keller HS - 6'4", 260, 4.7
    08. WR Marquis Johnson - Champaign Centennial (IL) - 6'3", 190, 4.4 23
    09. DL Marco Martin - Mesquite HS - 6'3", 315, 4.7 58
    10. DB Matthew Melton - Tyler John Tyler - 6'0", 190, 4.5
    11. WR Dustin Miksch - Round Rock Westwood - 6'0", 165, 4.37
    12. LB Marcus Myers - Pflugerville Conally - 6'3", 220, 4.5
    13. DL Bryan Pickryl - Jenks HS (OK) - 6'5", 230, 4.5* 37
    14. DL Chase Pittman - Shreveport Evangel (LA) - 6'4", 260, 4.8* 82
    15. LB Brian Robison - Splendora HS - 6'3", 243, 4.6
    16. DL Lyle Sendlein - Scottsdale Chaparral (AZ) - 6'4", 260, 4.8
    17. LB Garnet Smith - Arlington Lamar - 6'3", 210, 4.6
    18. TE/LB David Thomas - Wolfforth Frenship - 6'3", 215, 4.5
    19. OL Neal Tweedie - Allen HS - 6'5", 270, 4.9 89
    20. OL Bret Valdez - Brownwood HS - 6'4", 310, 5.1
    21. DL/OL Rodrique Wright - Alief Hastings - 6'5", 324, 5.0 12
    22. RB Selvin Young - Houston Jersey Village - 5'11", 190, 4.41 76

* Reportedly will enroll at mid-term and could count against last year's class.

Add Vincent Young 1 (hopefully), a couple more athletes, and a kicker and UT looks like a top 5 team for many years. RB Lorenzo Booker 3 is also still considering Texas.

2. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

One quick note- Dibbles, the latest DL prospect for Texas (6'4', 280), ran a 4.5 40 yard dash at a recent tryout. Put him at DE next to 315 lb. freak of nature DT Marco Martin (4.7 40 yard dash), then back then up with D. Johnson at LB, and watch out!

Awesome potential.

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hmm.. i didn't realize jersey village had a high recruit like that.. my hs played against them this year and every year and i dont think i noticed him.. hmm must not have had a huge game..

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Rodrique Wright is from my hood.

This one's for Alief! C'mon and raise up, take your shirt off, twist it round yo head, spin it like a helicopter, Alief!, c'mon and raise up, this one's for you, uh huh, this one's for who?,
    us, us, us

5. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rodrique Wright is really good.

6. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

rocket fan, I think Young may have been hurt part of the year.

Awesome recruiting class. I think Harris may end up being the best of the bunch; I expect him to get alot of PT as a freshman.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

gr8-1.. yeah maybe so.. i remember they were supposed to have a real good player but i dont remember seeing him play..

i go to cy-fair.. we had a bad year this year.. and i dont think we have anyone being recruited much..

oh well.. chad stevens is getting some playing time for texas at least..

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

hmm, I've been to Alief a few times and I'm very thankful I grew up in the katy area. Not trying to rip the area, but it is one of those where you worry about your car getting broken into or stolen much moreso than my neighborhood. I was on the katy taylor baseball team as a student assistant for all 4 years and I know we worried about the bus a little. HOWEVER, milby had to be the worst, i felt bad about the field they played on, etc.

Anyways, this looks like another great class by Mack

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

The most impressive thing to me on that list is that they got multiple top 100s out of state--e.g., the Ok LB away from OU, Ill. WR away from Big 10 schools (e.g., Mich, Ill), and La DL away from LSU or other SEC schools. That is big time national recruiting by Mack.

Now if they can only play as a team equal to their individual talents, UT will be in the national title hunt at least the next few years. The problem with UT (everyone I know who follows college football thinks this) has been they have let less talented teams stay with them and sometimes beat them because of superior game day coaches, perhaps the talent gap will be enough though.

Finally, what is the latest word on Young???

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is the ranking overall, or by position?

I'm a little surprised. By the way people have been raving about Mack's recruiting prowess, I figured I'd see a bunch of guys on the list in the top 10, yet the highest ranked is 12th. Does that mean the top 10 guys haven't committed to any school yet? This probably is a product of my not understanding what constitutes an excellent recruiting class...I just assumed that meant nabbing the very best recruits in the country.

11. Smokey

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

we can always count on rm95 for some bah humbug. . .

no school in the nation has more than 1 top 10 player, and yes, most of the top 10 have not committed. I know 2 that have, there may be a few others.

if Texas gets V-Young, that's all the top 10 they'll need.

my concern about Young is his SAT score. I think that's the only thing that's kept him from committing to UT. I don't know anything for a fact, but my stepdad heard somewhere that Young still hasn't taken the test, which is not a good sign.

this is not in any way, shape or form based on fact, and I hope I'm wrong.

don't focus on the top 10. focus on the fact that UT has verbal commitments from 11 top 100 players. the next closest school has 5.

14. Tenchi

Tenchi Contributing Member

Yea I know about that Alief...full of minorities... better watch yourself when you're in Alief...its just one big crack house. Especially Hastings....better represent Smokey.

15. Smokey

Everyone knows if you wanna party you come to UT Austin. Full of rich kids wasting their parents hard earned money on beer and weed. Getting so f-ed up after a home football game you realize the next afternoon you caused $2000 worth of damage to your room. Yeah but the slutty girls were impressed. Hey don't worry about it I'll tell my Dad someone hit my Eclipse.

Alief is safe :mad:

#15 Smokey, Dec 31, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2001
  16. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

17. chievous minniefield

for those of us who want so badly to see Vincent Young in burnt orange for the next few years, here is some news:

on rivals100.com, Young has finally scheduled his first visits. he has a visit to Austin scheduled [first!] for the 11th. he goes to Arkansas the next weekend, the 18th.

also, in a roundtable discussion among various recruiting gurus from different parts of the nation, the question was asked: who is the most interesting recruit you've talked to?

I'm paraphrasing, but one of the guys said this:

"Vincent Young, because his story is always changing. The list of schools just keeps changing and changing except for the one, Texas."

HOOK THEM, MACK!!

18. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Chev Mini, do you think rivals.com is worth the 10 bucks a month subscription? Perhaps you can cut and paste everything that pertains to Texas in this thread. That way, we can all judge for ourselves.;)

19. chievous minniefield

is it 10 a month? whoops. I thought it was 10 a year. hmmm. . . that would explain the mystery charge on my account.

um, no, it's probably not worth 10 a month. it's great information. definitely worth the 10 a year I thought I was paying.

it's only worth it if you are truly a junkie.

the difference between the subscriber info and the non-subscriber info mainly has to do with insignificant details.

for instance, the non-subscriber will find out about a verbal commitment or a signing at about the same time as a subscriber.

it's just that the subscriber will learn about all the meaningless, speculatory stuff that leads up to it.

I would say it's definitely not worth it for anyone on this bbs seeing as how I already spill everything worth knowing here as soon as I read it.

20. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Hey chev, keep up the good work. Horns are still #1 in the nation in recruiting. Give us the damn Vincent Young update.
    Hook Em.

I'm drunk. Happy New Year CC.net bbs.