1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does take a million dollar offense coordinator to figure this one out...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Personnel decisions were just bizarre this season. From not having your top 3 WRs on the field for the last OkSt play, having Burt throw end around passes into the end zone when you have a former QB at the position, not opening up a kicking completion earlier, running any plays for Porter, etc...

3. Major

Major Member

That's basically where I am. I watched and went to fewer games than I have at any point in the last 20ish years. Just don't really care.

4. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I'm guessing it's actually indicative to personnel issues that might manifest themselves in more juniors declaring for the draft than you would expect and some more transfers. There were a lot of comments about guys not "practicing right" which I think was Herman trying to prove that players need to listen to his way of doing things or there will be consequences. That's what worries me about Okafor. There were really weird comments about his attitude and how much he cared going in and out of games. I mean, the guy safely has a spot somewhere on the line but starters still transfer if they are unhappy.

I feel like Charlie was able to recruit a lot of guys by really forming a personal bond that made a lot of the players look at him as an older brother as oppose to authority figure. I think they got away with lot and were babied as long as they didn't violate his team rules. I mean, all coaches look to form a bond but I think you had players that were on average more connected to Charlie than the school. I think you have a lot of guys now that just can't get away with the same immaturity and aren't willing to change.

Whatever happens, happens. I'll feel ok if they can keep the majority of their top recruits but I think there is going to be more bad news than good.

Anyone else wish Bob would still the team and a new owner would work out an agreement with the Titans to get the Oilers name and colors back? I have 0 emotional ties to the Texans brand and I still don't really care for having a team that shares the name with a pro football team that played in Dallas.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

sounds like something an offensive coordinator should correct

6. tinman

Supporting Member

7. Buck Turgidson

Hoops squad looks great this year!

8. Buck Turgidson

Good for them, Williams too. Don't blame 'em one bit.

9. gucci888

Malik tweeted that no decision has been made but no reason for him to stay. Elliott skipping the bowl game is pretty weak although I understand the rational.

10. Brando2101

I understand Williams sitting out since he had the major injury but Elliot and Jefferson sitting is pretty lame.

11. Buck Turgidson

If the NCAA wants to make it a game about money, I don't fault the employees for treating it the same way.

Swiss Roll likes this.
  12. gucci888

Update on OL recruiting. Would be huge if Herman can keep the current class intact while adding 2-3 lineman. Like that he's looking at the JUCO route as well.

13. Brando2101

Herman went out and got Kersteeter who was just a 3 Star OL and he might turn into an above average lineman. Hopefully the staff can identify more of these middle of the pack guys who might do really well.

Just some small updates about Juniors who might declare for the draft via 247:
    - DE Charles Omenihu: multiple sources over the past 24 hours who remain adamant that Omenihu will wind up declaring for the draft. A different source said that Omenihu is continuing to weigh his options on whether to stay or go.

-DB Kris Boyd: One team source told Horns247 on Monday that Boyd is expected to declare for the draft. Additionally, a separate source told Horns247 early on Tuesday that the staff is preparing for Boyd to jump at a potential NFL chance.

-DB Holton Hill: Conversations with multiple sources throughout the day reiterated that Hill is expected to declare for the draft. Due to the nature of his suspension, an NFL source told Horns247 that Hill’s projection has gone from a first to third-round prospect to a being third to fifth-round selection.

-DB DeShon Elliot: Without going into too much detail, a conversation with a source on Tuesday afternoon made it seem as though there’s no chance Elliott is returning for his senior season and his mind is made up to turn pro.

-LB Malik Jefferson: Everything we’ve heard on Jefferson remains the same. The only thing Jefferson has to do is issue an official announcement because every source we’ve talked to has told us the team’s leading tackler is going to enter the draft and forgo his senior season.

-Punter Dickson: No one knows. I read somewhere that he might be obligated to graduate due to the terms of the program he is enrolled in as an international student but what are they going to do to him?

I've had the feeling for a while that Omenihu was going to go pro. Defensive ends with that prototypical 4-3 size are consistently valued higher than your average player. Ideally, you would want a guy you are bringing in as a 4-3 End to have more sacks but he didn't really play on a 4 man front this year so it's not a very good apples to apples comparison. Still, it's not official until it's official. These reports might not be accurate or these guys could easily change their minds.

#10353 Brando2101, Nov 29, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  14. Bob Barker 007

Jackson Jeffcoat had better size, athleticism, and numbers in college than Omenihu, and he went undrafted. Omenihu and Boyd will not get drafted. Hill is an unknown because of his issues off the field. I would put Hill and Elliott in rounds 5-7. Malik will go in rounds 2-4. Dickson will either get drafted in the 7th or go undrafted. Only Malik of this group is making the right decision to go pro.

15. Bob Barker 007

Angilau and Leveston would be good pickups. I know very little about Grandy. I doubt he is a JUCO player who would really make an impact in his first year. Traore is a huge need and could possibly play from day 1, but he is leaning toward LSU.

16. Bob Barker 007

Let's move Tim Beck over to coach the offense for the basketball team. It's not like it would be any worse than watching Shaka's abomination of an offensive halfcourt system.

17. Buck Turgidson

He's gotten them more talented. They need to run more. The tatted up new white Polok is the only halfcourt player they have. Don't have the shooters to run a proper PnR.

If they can ever find a couple of shooters...? Brandy Perryman faints.

18. Major

Major Member

Why is it we don't seem to see guys like Brandy Perryman in college basketball? Seems like having a guy that can shoot from 30+ ft would be a huge asset, even if they suck at everything else. It seemed like 15-20 years ago, there were many more of those guys.

19. Buck Turgidson

Dave Jamerson, Dan Langhi, Andrew Gaze and Doug McDermott all want to know the answer when you figure it out.

20. Brando2101

You're wrong about the most important fact. Jeffcoat does not have better size. Jeffcoat is 6'-3" 250 lbs. which is why he was moved to LB in the NFL. Omenihu is 6'-7" and 280lbs. That's the point. The NFL inflates draft value of bigger defensive ends and will inflate their stat value because they have "potential." You can't coach someone's frame size and a lot of success for 4-3 DEs in the NFL is brute strength and mass. Omenihu is obviously big and he also played well.

I got their height and weight data from the NFL and UT websites.

I don't think you can make any predictions about 1st year offensive linemen. Derek Kerstetter, Zach Shackelford and Connor Williams all became starters in their 1st years and all were above average and they were all 3 star recruits. You just never know with offensive linemen.

#10360 Brando2101, Nov 30, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2017