1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At least Charlie Strong knew what he had for goal line plays. The 18 wheeler package.

Shocking we can't do something for Warren. Seriously getting 2 field goals against Tech at the goal line is beyond bad.
    This is worse than Greg Davis.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Having a piecemeal OL and zero TEs has something to do with that.

3. tinman

Supporting Member

This is against TEXAS TECH

4. Buck Turgidson

Next year will be better. Trust me.

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Need to keep our top 5 recruiting class

6. Buck Turgidson

I'm an eternal optimist. I'm assuming Herman can recruit a veteran OL in the next 9 months.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

You know I can't detect sarcasm well. Connor Williams was a 3 star prospect and "bread," so you never know...

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Having the crappiest play caller in college football also has something to do with that. I never that I would see someone worse than Shawn Watson, but Tim Beck is the the poor man's version. He's just horrible.

9. Buck Turgidson

Were you around for the Greg Davis years?

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Greg Davis, though predictable, could put points on the board.

tinman likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

He may have his running backs run side ways, but he's not having his QB run all the time

12. Buck Turgidson

WR screen on 2nd and 20, or 1st and 10, or pretty much any time.

VY and Major and the OL/RBs made a lot of coaches look good.

13. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Here is a good summary of player shakeups

14. Major

Major Member

Colt McCoy lead the team in rushing attempts twice and in yards once. Vince also led the team in both one year.

15. Buck Turgidson

What do you think about Beck as OC, and/or Ehlinger as QB?

16. Major

Major Member

Honestly, I have no idea. The whole program is a mess, and it just seems like everything snowballs on everything else - I don't even know how you start fixing it at this point. Ehlinger looks pretty good at times (for a freshman) and then finds ways to make the dumbest mistakes possible at the most critical times. I have no idea if Beck sucks, doesn't trust his QB, trusts his QB too much, or is working with all around terrible talent that would suck with any OC. Buchele looks terrible every time he gets on the field, so Ehlinger is the best we have. I find it hard to believe Warren went from amazing to terrible and not even deserving of goal-line carries in one year. There's simply no one on the offense that I look and say "we can build around this guy". And I have no idea how that's possible with all the talent the team keeps bringing in.

Going back to Mack's last years and seeing the success that Harsin and Diaz are having, it seems like no combo of coaches can figure this out here. We fired Mack a year too late and Charlie a year too early - it would have been great to get Chip Kelly. :D If he couldn't fix the offense, then the whole thing is hopeless.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

yes, but look at the #2 in rushing , it's Jammal Charles and it's not a 30 to 40 carry difference

18. Major

Major Member

In 2008, Colt got 136 carries. 2nd on the team was Vondrell McGee with 88 (48 carry difference).

In 2005, VY got 155 carries. 2nd on the team was Charles with 119 carries (35 carry difference).

In 2017, Ehlinger got 103 carries. 2nd was Porter with 72 (31 carry difference).

19. tinman

Supporting Member

I stand corrected.

VY averaged way more yardage than Ehlinger brother!

20. Buck Turgidson

Well, thanks for clearing all that up for me.

I'm just to the point of "meh", just like with the Texans the past few years. I really want to care, but I don't. They have to fix the OL, I've been saying that for a few years now. Again, just like the Texans. Damn.

How did it take them all season to figure out who was their best RB? Why do they repeatedly run the QB into the middle of a stacked defense on short yardage? How does Collin Johnson not get the ball 12 times a game? Is Reggie Hemp Hill Mapps not the most Austin-appropriate name ever?

raining threes and Major like this.