1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ugly game, but I'm happy with a win. The Iowa State quarterback was one of the worst I've ever seen; so many passes sailed over receivers and telegraphed interceptions.

The defense will keep us in games we aren't supposed to win (OU, Oklahoma State), but the offensive play calling has got to get better. It's stubbornly bad and, to echo others, Shane looks tentative out there. To be fair to him, it was his first action in three weeks.

2. Buck Turgidson

Is there a better set of LBs in the country than Wheeler-Jefferson-Hughes?

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Well we know why, but the play calling is not helping them much either.

DD

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Herman has this team playing defense and showing intensity on the field.
    They are already improved as compared to any Strong team.

They need to change QB's to the kid who broke Drew Brees records in high school.

He's better and he will be developed for the future. I could see Texas winning the Big 12 next year with OU and OK St's QB's leaving.

5. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Malik is putting together enough flashy hits to make an ESPN draft highlight reel. I think he's back on track to leaving after this year regardless of whatever else happens.

That offense... yikes. Texas could lose the rest of their games if they don't figure something out. You don't want to fall in the mindset of "the backup qb can fix everything" but it might be a thing of that the backup qb can do a much better job at dealing with a struggling offensive line. I mean, a win is a win but I feel worse after watching this than I did against the loss against USC.

We'll see Kyler Murray running the offense at OU next year so I don't things are going to get much easier but you never know.

6. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Tim Beck needs to decide what offense he wants to run and then choose his QB. If he wants to run the offense he ran against Iowa State, then he should go with Ehlinger. Shane's strengths are not in zone reads, short hitches, etc.

7. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Murray sucks just like the other Aggie transfers

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Feel okay after another stout defensive performance. If they can hold this, we'll be in each game. Think we have better chances at wins like this vs getting into shootouts.

The OL is a big concern though and Shane gets caught off guard quite often. K-State is going to be a big test.

9. Brando2101

Shane Buechele suffered a sprained ankle on Thursday against Iowa State, the school announced.

[​IMG]

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is because Tim Beck prefers running our quarterbacks instead of our running backs

11. Buck Turgidson

Baadaaabum...cymbal.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Tim Beck. Wow.

https://www.hookem.com/football-new...clinical-approach-longhorns-rushing-struggles

Who should be getting the carries? Four games in, Kyle Porter has a team-leading 46 carries for 3.1 yards per attempt. Chris Warren III has 42 carries and averages 6.1 yards per attempt.

Porter has shown little dynamic play-making ability to warrant so many carries in the first four games. Warren is a player who historically gets better as the game grinds on. He got only four carries against USC for 15 yards but 16 carries against Iowa State for 44 yards.

“I feel like Chris and Kyle are interchangeable backs, believe it or not,” offensive coordinator Tim Beck said on Sept. 13. Warren, a junior, is a 1,000-yard rusher; Porter, a sophomore, has 307 career yards.

13. gucci888

Ya have to go with don't believe it. Toneil Carter showed more last game than I've ever seen from Porter.

14. gucci888

5* Anthony Cook took an OV to Austin this past weekend.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I'm just so happy that we finally got a REAL coach aka Todd Orlando and a great "recruiter" and "friend" in Herman.

16. gucci888

Still surprised Major got the job over him even though I'm sure Major was the better interview. But have to think Orlando is gone next year if the defense keeps up.

17. Brando2101

Maybe UH felt it was a choice between offense/defense or maybe Orlando wasn't willing to agree to that ridiculous buyout. Orlando is making about 500k less as the Texas DC than Major but maybe he sees it as a better chance to coach at a national school.

I think Orlando will stay until he gets a really good job offer at a major school. I don't think he'll leave Herman and UT for an Iowa St posting like Chizik did. Plus, we haven't hit the barrage of big 12 spread offenses. We'll see what happens.

Nice. I hope this class works out like we hope. I don't think you can put a lot of stock into the recruits at this point in the season and you really don't know until signing day. Creating another signing day in December was such a good decision. I really hope the Rising kid stays committed. I think he's suppose to visit Oregon which seems like a more traditional landing spot for a Cali QB with his throwing style.

I'm far from sold on Tim Beck but I think the numbers don't paint the whole story with Warren. He has a few very long runs that inflate his average. I don't think he's shown that he can be a guy to move your offense. It's more so that you are hoping he can break off a big run but you need more consistent production. He ran 16 times against Iowa St and averaged 2.8 yards. If you take away his longest gain then he ran for 15 times for 2.2 yards each. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lil'Jordan Humphrey running the ball against OU and maybe Kansas St this weekend.

Some News via 247:

Sophomore QB Shane Buechele is in a walking boot for his sprained ankle, which was suffered during the Longhorns' 17-7 win over Iowa State to open Big 12 play.

Junior left tackle Connor Williams will not require surgery for his knee injury, Texas head coach Tom Herman confirmed Monday afternoon.

After booting two punts over six yards and averaging close to 50 yards per kick, Michael Dickson earned Ray Guy Award's punter of the week honor on Monday.

[

18. gucci888

Good call on the buyout. Forgot about that but don't like that reasoning if I'm a UH fan.

Do agree on the RB situation. Carter gives them a little more burst which I'll take but still doesn't explain why Porter is getting more carries than Warren.

19. Buck Turgidson

Dear god I hope so.

20. Buck Turgidson

Your use of all CAPS and quotations frightens and confuses me.