1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

How do you know this?

The new playoff system hasn't even gone into effect yet. Your evidence that this is required is precisely zero.

It's very hard to imagine a situation where SEC handjobberism is so rampant that Texas doesn't make the top 4 really. Generally even in down years the big 12 champ is a top 4 team. And when it isn't, it's usually because it's a team that doesn't deserve it anyway.

The only time in recent history that Texas got hurt by its conference was in 2008...and it wasn't due to a lack of depth...it was because of excessive depth.

#4541 SamFisher, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Actually, competitively (currently), I agree with you that Texas likely doesn't need a great OOC game with the new playoff format because the Big XII has enough good teams that the conference winner is usually going to get in. I am thinking of the inevitable 8 team playoff that is looming, where SOS is going to be huge in determining teams that didn't win their conference getting into the tourney. I'll bet money that the 8 team playoff comes before A&M-UT rivalry renews. There isn't much reason for either team to add the other on the schedule right now.

3. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Most of us Aggies know the current recruiting slump for Texas is very temporary. There is no doubt about that. I think most would be satisfied with Texas and A&M locking up all of the top in-state talent as 1a and 1b, while shutting the door on LSU and OU.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

not to mention if Texas has one loss or less they will get in no matter what... no panel is going to keep out Texas if they are close

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

TAMU has been hitting OU hard lately. LSU, not so much. And it hurts when LSU almost never kicks anyone off the team.

Yes, UT will be fine again at some point. Although I'm not convinced Strong will be the guy to do it. In the meantime people like me get to come in here and drag ass on the carpet.

6. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I think you are right as long as they win their conference. It would be hard to see 2 big 12 teams taking half of the playoff spots.

However, no one knows how this panel is going to work. They could all feel like they won't be swayed by the name of a program and not give the benefit of the doubt to schools like Texas, USC or ND like the AP and Harris voters do.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Rodney Anderson says 'sup.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

What are you boasting about? Recruiting classes? The chicken sandwich bowl?

9. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

You're certainly spreading ***** everywhere.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Helicopters and shiny things. Impressing Aggies is like shining a laser pointer in front of a cat.

11. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

Are we trying to boast about recruiting classes in this thread?

12. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only one person is and they're an Aggie.

13. Brando2101

Colt looked GREAT this week. Hope that is enough for him to keep his job but 3rd string is tough to snag. With RG3's injury troubles maybe he will be 2.5 string.

14. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If Colt looks like he can do the job, they will trade Cousins to someone like the Texans who need a starting a quarterback. Cousins has that potential.

15. Brando2101

No wayyyy. Now with RG3. He is one scramble away from a broken something.

16. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Big name programs = $$. I expect the panel to be swayed quite a bit. It's still a business.

17. Buck Turgidson

The **** does any of this have to do with UT football?

18. Major

Major Member

Except the people on the panel aren't the ones making the money and I believe they are term-limited, so they have zero incentive to do anything other than what they want.

19. Brando2101

I'm sorry I have bombarded the oh so active UT thread with an update for the winningest QB in school history. Let's go another 5 days without a post.

Agreed. I think they wan't the praise of finally helping to make the system right but I'm betting this will just open up the "need" for an 8 team playoff.

20. Brando2101

record predictions?