1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Ziggy, who's QB1 at A&M this yr?

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Either the #1 QB recruit in the nation from 2013, an experienced 6-4, NFL-sized guy that doesn't force passes or the #4 QB recruit in the nation from 2012.

Coming out -

Hill > Keenum
    Allen > RG3
    Joekel > Manziel

So I'm not sure, but probably someone who will be pretty damn good. There aren't many more favorable QB groups in the nation, much less the SEC. Make fun of TAMU's joke defense from last year, not the QB position. It's actually deep.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

It's sort of funny that people are trying to paint Strong as this no fun, anti-players coach that players will never relate to/hate playing for. He may be hard-nosed, but go watch interviews from his past players (Bridgewater, Dunlap, etc...) as well his bosses (Holtz, Urban Meyer)...common themes are that players would "run through brick walls" for him and that they "would have followed him anywhere."

Charlie Strong may not succeed at Texas, but it won't be because of players hating him.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

You're joking right? For starters, Joeckel transferred. And the 6'4 guy you called experienced? He is a true freshman. How is that experienced?

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Ziggy is why there are Aggie jokes.

1 person likes this.
  6. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

With an affinity for cuddling with flower beds.

He was 2013, by the way. Your 2012 savior couldn't even make it a year at the school. Apparently completing passes is an important trait for a QB, but an inability to do that didn't stop ags everywhere from proclaiming that Matt Davis was Jesus Christ with a football coming out of high school.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Oh yeah, Joekel did transfer. That was the 6-4 guy I said had experience, not Allen. Hill committed to TAMU 2012.

Still an excellent group with a lot of promise. What fans wouldn't be excited about having those two and Murray coming on board?

I don't even want to talk Aggy here, but y'all are asking questions about them. I like to talk about Strong, the guy I wanted TAMU to hire 3 years ago instead of running that pee-pee offense. But now we have a hot tub, a Heisman and a helicopter, the 3 H's. It is what it is.

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Was actually being serious since I haven't followed the A&M roster. I'm sure the offense will be fine - Sumlin is good at developing QBs going back to the UH days. The problem will be slowing down that Alabama and LSU running game since they have those massive O-lines.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Golden was kicked off which will hurt but Sumlin has addressed the d-line in a big way. TAMU probably has one of the top 2-4 d-line classes if you combined the previous 2 years and the upcoming year. Most notably, Myles Garrett, #2 recruit in the nation - plays DE. With that said, the d-line is probably not SEC ready right. 1-2 year project.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

Okay, real football talk now.

What if this is A&M/Sumlin's ceiling? What if you are a team that can win on any given Saturday vs. anyone, but will consistently finish the season around 3rd or so in your division? You guys still have your helicopter and DJ practices and good recruiting, but you never quite make that leap to top of the conference. Would being a "cool" school that is competitive in the SEC but never really wins it be enough to keep the fanbase happy?

I ask because I always hear about recruiting being the reason that A&M is absolutely going to dominate in the near future, yet there are 2 or 3 games on that schedule every season with teams that have actually recruited better than y'all.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Is 3rd in the division good enough to make the playoff or BCS Bowl? If so I think the fans will be fine. Is that SEC/Big12 Jerry World game still slated? Champion's Bowl? Basically the super Cotton Bowl. TAMU fans would be happy with that.

I don't think overcoming LSU is out of the question. It's all cyclical. Tennessee will be good again eventually. Auburn has already bounced back.

12. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

You are changing the argument to one you know you can win. Strong does not have the success like Saban. However that is not what we were talking about. Your post was strictly about the restrictions and strictness of Strong and how that will negatively effect recruiting. I pointed out that Saban has the same rep and that has not negatively effected him at all. It is known as a positive for a lot of parents who send their kids to college.

Saban wasn't Saban when he was at Michigan State. He moved up to LSU and excelled with the amount of resources at that school. Strong is in the same position now with Texas. Comparing them right now overall is silly.

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

[​IMG]He's dancing, bro. Dancing. Charlie Strong doesn't even smile.

14. Brando2101

It is not longer called the Champions Cowl IIRC. It is just called the Sugar Bowl and it has the Big 12 and SEC tie in. However, the SB is housing a playoff game this year so the game has moved to Arlington. I believe the bowl will take the loser of the SEC championship game over any 3rd place finisher in a SEC division.

Now you are just Ziggy the Aggie Troll.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You trolled by comparing Strong to Saban based on 1 trait. Might as well compare him to Bobby Knight, Bo Pelini or Izzy Mandelbaum from Seinfeld then.

16. Brando2101

I know you are trolling but I'll respond anyway.

1) Analyzing and comparing the UT coach to other coaches is not trolling especially when I am in the UT board. I would get it if I am in the Ag thread.
    2) I'm attempting to respond in a detailed and an analytical fashion to your (repeated and annoying) criticisms of no-fun Strong and all you post is a rather dumb gif when confronted with a counter-point.
    3) It is beyond ridiculous that you can't compare things with respect to their attributes. It was a very very fair comparison. I'll repeat it. Saban has other things about him that are good (including success on the field) that it does not matter that he is a hard nose coach. Strong maybe strict but that in itself is not a reason he won't get recruits. He if gets wins then the recruits will come.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

See, this trash talk would be so much more fun if you guys actually PLAYED each other.

It's a damn travesty.

18. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

This will happen, but it will only happen when both schools are down. If a either school is doing well, there is no good reason to help the other program out by scheduling a game. If both teams are down during the same time period, the game will get scheduled again, and all will be right.

Not sure it is a good idea though ... The A&M schedule is tough enough in the SEC West, I am not sure there is any need to bring in a powerhouse OOC team, especially if we ever go to a 9 game SEC schedule.

For Texas, as long as they are in the Big XII, they need to schedule a big time OOC game or two to make up for the lack of depth in conference.

A&M's non-conference slate is pretty weak again this season, but we still have the 5th toughest schedule in the nation with an 8 game SEC slate(http://www.fbschedules.com/2014/04/2014-college-football-strength-of-schedule-ncaa-method/). Texas did well scheduling UCLA in Non-Conference this year, but they still only have the 26th ranked schedule due to the Big XII bottom end dragging them down.

A&M does have future tough non-conference games scheduled with AZ State (2015), UCLA (2016 & 2017), and Oregon (2018 & 2019). Would be awfully tough to add Texas prior to 2020, while keeping those commitments.

19. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Even with a hard ass for a coach, UT shouldn't have issues recruiting if the team just performs better over the next few years. It's an attractive place to be and there's enough talent around the country to sustain multiple strong recruiting classes within the state.

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Agreed.

Texas also has scheduled some notable non-conference games in Notre Dame(2015-2016 and 2019-2020), Cal (2015-2016), USC (2017-2018), Maryland (2017-2018), Ohio State (2022-2013), and Arkansas (2021).