1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Not true, I think VY lost money he didn't even have yet. Lulz? Seriously though I like you guys, goooooo Austin.

2. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Gus Malzahn against that defense should be fun as well! Can't wait for the season to start.

3. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

You seem like a good guy, but every time I read your posts, I can't help but think

[​IMG]

4. Bob Barker 007

Come on, Obama, show the Aggy some R-S-P-E-C-T

5. Buck Turgidson

Glad you've become accustomed to the aTm way. It's been a cycle for us Texas (State of) folks to just tolerate since the '80's.

6. Bob Barker 007

I think Damon Heard passes/will pass up Tyrone Swoopes on the depth chart as the number 2 quarterback. I believe that Swoopes is so far behind at being ready at the position that Heard will take the spot from him.

7. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i know right college station is soo much prettier then austin.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I wonder if there's a tipping point where "look at our fancy blinged out locker room" is finally understood by players ad "look at all the **** we're going to buy while ****ing you out of the money you make for us b****!"

9. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This has nothing to do with what's been discussed in this thread. But on the whole UT-A&M thing, I think it's funny that all my UT buddies who did nothing but talk crap for years and years about how A&M would never be better than them, now can't handle the friendly ribbing that is rightfully shot back at them for all the crap they talked for a decade.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

I can't believe how boisterous Aggies are when their team finished 7th in their conference.

1 person likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Given the predictions many UT fans made about A&M's impending doom by moving to the SEC, it does seem weird for UT fans to continue to talk crap given (1) our coach just got fired and our program is in disarray and (2) the Aggies have exceeded everyone's expectations and arguably were the best team in the country at the end of the 2012 season.

UT's in a rebuilding period; A&M is doing well and is on a clear upswing both in performance and in recruiting. It happens. That doesn't say anything about where either team will be in 5 years, but it's where we are now.

12. Major

Major Member

They also finished 9-4 in a much tougher conference and are recruiting basically every good player in the state. Just about every UT fan predicted doom and gloom for A&M by moving conferences. Meanwhile, UT just finished 8-5 in a relatively craptastic Big12 last year and fired our coach. You're really surprised by Aggies being happy?

13. SamFisher

He's right though.

9-4 and the equivalent of a Holiday bowl win would not really be recognized by UT fans as a return to glory, regardless of the recruiting class that was incoming.

14. Juxtaposed Jolt

Still can't expect A&M fans to just lay down and take shots from Longhorn fans.

I'm an Aggie, and you won't see me take shots at UT (bad season or not) for no reason. But if someone were to insult A&M / A&M's football program, I'm sure as hell going to defend my school.

It's not exactly a return for glory, I agree, but the fact that some UT fans can't be happy about A&M's successes shows immaturity and a lack of camaraderie.

15. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I haven't seen any Longhorn post UT news in an Aggie thread trying to brag.

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i want a&m to lose as a UT fan. just like i want the jazz and mavs to lose as a rockets fan, and the 49ers to lose as a cowboys fan.

just the way it is for me

17. Major

Major Member

9-4 with 4 losses to ranked teams (3 by one possession) is far better than any UT fan would have predicted for A&M 2 years ago. When we fired Mackovic, we went 9-3, 9-5, and 9-3 (including a Holiday bowl) in our next three years. Ticket sales and excitement about the program went through the roof, in part thanks to the strong recruiting classes and the potential growth they saw in the program. Nothing different here.

18. SamFisher

So if you use the barometer of what UT fans predicted, it has been fabulously successful.

1 person likes this.
  19. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

1) Happy and boisterous don't mean the same thing at all. If I meant to say happy then I would have said happy.

2) A part of why A&M left the big 12 was to separate itself from UT. They don't want to be defined in relation to that school. That is a double edged sword. If you want to be judged independently then it doesn't matter how UT is doing. I will be the first to say that A&M is the best in the state in recruiting and had probably the best offense in the state last year. That doesn't mean that the team was objectively that great last year considering they had no notable wins against conference opponents. Almost half their wins came from Sam Houston, UTEP, Rice & SMU in a year when they thought they were playing for the championship.

This post wasn't meant to be a huge jab at A&M. It was just a response to a comment made about Texas fans. The main point is that the definition of a good team should not be that they are better than the team 120 miles away.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Brooooo, College Station is like some glorified Katy, TX. You might as well get a lobotomy if you're over the age of 22 living in College Station or Katy, TX. Austin all the way. Unless you're 18-22 playing for Charlie Strong who wont let you out past the 7pm curfew anyways.