1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT -A&M prediction contest, comments, etc. (official thread)

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Baqui99, Nov 21, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Couple of observations from the game today (I was in the end zone, which was practically all Horn fans):

1. The wind was extremely strong. After the game, when they handed out footballs from the galleryfurniture.com bowl (ironic huh?), the football literally blew out of my hand the wind was so strong. Texas' offense looked the worst in the 2nd and 3rd quarters, when they were going straight into the wind. Why? Trust me, it would be near impossible to throw a good deep ball in those conditions. They knew Texas had to run or use a controlled passing game.

2. Simms always threw short because he had no one to throw to. I had the end zone angle, and believe me, the A&M defensive backs did an unbelievable job covering our receivers. Simms looked deep several times, but trust me on this-- there was nothing there. The only time he had a deep play open was in the 1st quarter when Sloan Thomas broke down the field, but an Aggie defender hit his arm just as he was releasing it. That was the only time I saw someone open deep, even with the wind.

I still think we'll beat Florida. Our defense has been spectacular all year long. See that CU offense that tore up Nebraska for 62 points? We held them to 7. I don't care if Florida's defense is "more talented" than that of the Ags, there is no way they can play as well as A&M did today. I tip my hat to them-- that was a fabulous job. A&M played even better defensively than OU did against us. Also, as much as the defense, I think the wind was a huge negative for our offense. In the Superdome, that won't be that big of a problem.

See everyone in New Orleans. Hook 'em.

P.S. Shanna-- Wouldn't Texas A&M (last year), Oregon (last year), and Colorado be considered pressure games?

2. Major

Major Member

<B>P.S. Shanna-- Wouldn't Texas A&M (last year), Oregon (last year), and Colorado be considered pressure games?</B>

I consider pressure games to be:

(1) Where the score is close
    (2) Where the QB doesn't get to sit in the pocket all day and throw

Granted, no QB is going to excel in environment #2, but most of the "good" ones will make plays here and there. This is the type of place where the QB can win or lose a game, rather than relying on the running game or defense or whatever else.

A&M last year wasn't close, and their defense wasn't all that great. No QB pressure, and they pointed out that last year they were injured (their entire starting secondary was out / gimpy), and they showed that today.

I was at a wedding during the Oregon game last year, so I didn't see most of it & I don't know what kind of pressure Simms was under. From what I've been told, though, the offense only accounted for 14 points in that game along with 4 turnovers, so the offense didn't do that well.

Colorado this year was never close and they never really got any QB pressure.

This wasn't meant to be a shot at Simms -- he hasn't had too many opportunities in this type of situation (two full games this year, in my opinion, plus a portion of the NC game). I just get a different feeling watching him in those close games than a Harrington, Carr, Applewhite, etc. Those guys seem to have a plan, direct the offense, calmly make the big plays. I don't see Simms as being able to do that, as of yet. Hopefully, I'll proven wrong the next time it matters.

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Shanna , since you "missed" the UO game and still apparently have a boner for Major, I'll fill you in. Any atm game, write it off. It's a rivalry g ame, and UT plays atm tuff. As for the Oregon game, it was a struggle. UO pulled out all stops to beat UT, but in the end, UT had a chance to win. Simms hit Roy and BJ aon the hands 3 times, but they dropped it. UT went on to lose by less than a TD. Sorry to break your heart, but it wasn't Chris's fault.

As for today, the 30 mph wind would have stiemied any chance of Major beating atm.

Get a real user name. People on this bbs are being polite to you becuz we think you're a girl.

Oh, also, Simms broke Majors passing touchdown record and tied Ricky's total td record. Sorry. Also, Simms did something that Major never did. He led us to a ten win season.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

We just beat atm for the second time since 1983. This game MATTERED. Don't hold your breath on Major. He's too busy not picking up the blitz against OU, KSU, NU, atm and Baylor.

5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This is kinda off topic from the football game, but I just wanted to say something about this rivalry.

First, I'm an Aggie and a senior.

Second, I have tons of friends at UT.

So I know a little about both schools and in my experience I've found that these two schools are pretty much the same education wise.

Both schools have about the same employment rate for graduating seniors overall.

Both schools have about the same starting salary average overall, with the edge to A&M slightly because of the larger engineering school, but pretty much the same as UT overall.

The rivalry is great with there being rabid fans on both sides.

The UT fans could be a little more respectful of visiting A&M fans when they go to Austin for the UT vs. A&M game. I had a friend who went with her family last year. A bunch of Longhorn fans spit on her and her family and cussed them out. My friend's niece was there and she was only 4. When they got back to their car it was vandalized and keyed up because of their A&M sticker.

I've been to the games here at Kyle Field and UT fans with friends at A&M sit in the stands, and there might be some smack being talked, but its good natured and fun, nothing like the stories I've heard from Austin.

I think the Aggies might have a little more spirit than A&M, but again, its pretty much the same.

Oh well, I'm ranting on...I'll stop...

Great rivalry, look forward to the game next year.

6. Major

Major Member

<B>We just beat atm for the second time since 1983. This game MATTERED. </B>

In case you missed the game, we did so DESPITE a bad performance by the QB. You put any QB in the country (except maybe Nate Hybl :)) in there, and he can complete less than half his passes and throw for 130 yards on 30 passes. Like I said, I hope he does better the next time HIS INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCE MATTERS. That may very well come this weekend against Colorado.

We won because of a massive talent advantage and a superb defensive performance. In case you missed the game, we scored on a blocked punt, a 30 yard drive, and a 10 yard drive where we almost exclusively ran the ball. He led us to a grand total of ZERO points on offense in the first 55 minutes of the game. If you call all of that "great quarterbacking", that's your choice. I don't.

I happen to realize that while that works against an A&M team with no offense, it won't work against the elite Floridas and Miamis of the world. This type of "but we're 10-1" philosophy of always assuming we're fine is exactly what leads to games like Oklahoma vs. Oklahoma State. I personally believe Texas has the talent to compete with those top-tier teams, but they have to play much smarter to do it.

<B>As for today, the 30 mph wind would have stiemied any chance of Major beating atm. </B>

You do know that those 30 mph winds don't really affect short, low bullet passes, right? That's basically all we threw, and Simms couldn't even complete half of those. He kept throwing behind and in front of receivers, and more often than not, to Roy Williams regardless of how many (4 people once) were covering him. Watch a Harrington or Carr sometime, and watch how they find ways to make plays in the close drives. I don't care how good the defense is, there are ALWAYS open receivers if you can find them, because the offensive player makes the first move and the defensive player simply has to react.

You apparently think that since Simms is the QB, he must be perfect and everything he does is phenomenal. Some of us are a tad bit brighter than that.

<B>Get a real user name. People on this bbs are being polite to you becuz we think you're a girl. </B>

Grow up, "great one". :rolleyes:

#46 Major, Nov 25, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2001
  7. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

Why do Simms fans always bring up the UO game to defend their boy. He had O TD's and 4 INT's. That's not good. One of those was a hail Mary at the end of the first half which I wouldn't blame on him if he hadn't been sacked for 10 yards on consecutive plays after having plenty of time in the pocket. We should've been at the 30 with a possible FG instead of the Hail Mary. Now at the end of the game did Roy and BJ drop TD's/potential TD's. No doubt about it. Would those TD's have made the difference. Yes. Does all credit in the world now go to Simms for winning us the game and all blame go to Roy and BJ for losing it. No. We scored 30 points. Special teams and defense each had a TD and I'm not sure if the 16 was from a safety or a missed XP with a FG. Nonetheless, a Simms led offense only put up half our points plus the should've been TD. Take away D and special teams and we lose again. Also, I believe we got the ball back after the dropped passes and he promptly threw another INT. Not good. Now I do remember him hitting quite a few mid range passes during the game and it wasn't the worst game a QB has ever played, but stop putting it on his "why he's a good QB" resume.

And how exactly would 30 mph winds have stymied any chance Major had more than it did Simms. What did Simms do so spectacularly in those 30 mph winds that Major couldn't have. Was it the no TD's, or the 138 yards or the 50 % completion. Again I'm not saying Simms had a horrible game (0 turnovers is definitely great) but why say Major would've had no shot when clearly the QB didn't win the game anyway.

Of course this isn't really the time for arguing, OU lost to a bad team and Bobby Stoops has to deal with a little more dejection. Outside of the NC for UT, could life get any sweeter.

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The reason people keep bringing it up is because people like Shanna keep saying Simms hasn't performed 'when it matters,' or hasn't excelled 'individually' when the game was on the line. The Oregon game shows that Simms can and has performed well 'when it matters' and when he needed to excel as a quarterback. He hit his O' So Hyped WR's for touchdowns that would have won the game had they not dropped them. No one contends they were hard catches as they were perfect throws. The Horns are in the national spotlight, as they have been since Simms got there. Horns fans should stop b****in about Simms. He's the best thing to happen to UT football in a long long time.

9. haven

haven Member

I want to like Simms, but he every time I think he's matured, he takes a step back.

Yes, the wind was bad in that game. But then, as Shanna said, Simms was throwing off-target anyway.

I'm not sure how much the tamu game means. After all, does anyone really believe okst is better than Oklahoma? Or that Ohio St. better than Michigan?

In college football, more than any other sport, rivalry games matter. That's what makes them so damned special.

I'd bet almost anything that Simms will have much better luck against Colorado, or even Florida, than he had against tamu.

Incidentally, tamu's defense looked really, really good. The penetration they had against Texas' running game was really phenomenal.

PS - Roy Williams needs to learn how to hold onto the ball.

10. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Kim, can you please cite a source for the Chris Simms and Rick Barnes quotes?

If not, please retract them. I'll bet $100 those are both complete fabrications.

Now, let me test my new signature...

"I'm a goat-humper, yes I am. Nothing better than goat p***y"-- R.C. Slocum

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

About the quotes, the Rick Barnes' one has to be false. One, students don't buy tickets to basketball games. Students buy a sports package which allows them to draw tickets to basketball games. Yes, Barnes was upset at the lack of student attendance early last year (Do you really want to watch Texas play SWT or Texas A&M Corpus Christi?) but his gripe was directed towards the administration for not making the Erwin Center basketball friendly. His theory was student attendance would increase by bringing seats closer to the court - a new student section called the O-Zone was created behind the goals.

The Simms quote is false the way it is written however I remember hearing something familiar to that during a TV broadcast. Simms talks to his dad often and one time told him that Texas fans are tough just like the fans in NY. He never said the fans sucked.

12. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Smokey, I think you are right. The chronicle didn't give that info though. And that's the source I got. I will post that article once I get my account info this week, because their subscriber services is closed for today. 713-220-7211

So I did some research and found the full article in the Dallas/Ft. Worth Star, which explained Barnes' anger much more in depth. The game was played on a Saturday night, a Saturday night in which y'all UT students were taking Finals last year. That's why I wrote back to the chronicle ripping Barnes saying that he should take his head out of his ass and realize that finals were going on. Of course, his players aren't normal students, so they don't have to do that stuff, but regular students at the University obviously have more important things going on. I wish I had that email still.

As for the Simms quote. Brian Kagy, I'm tired of your ****. I'm sorry if I'm rude, but this is not the first time you've questioned my credibility. One thing that makes this site great is the ability for people to post inside information. You don't believe me? Fine. RockHEAD had to get pictures. The dude who brought the Francis trade was flamed. So was Maloney's brother. I don't like to give up confidentiality, but damn, I don't like it when people question my credibility because I am an honest person about this stuff.

This is what I'm going to do. The next time I go to Austin, I'm gonna pull a RockHEAD and take some pictures. I can't believe people can't accept honesty anymore. All I'm saying is that if there is info on the UT Basketball team, UT football, or A&M football, that I say, it is first hand or second hand information that I can verify first hand. How can the Simms quote be in a damn newspaper if he said it on the phone with dad?

Kagy, you want some more info so you can call me a liar?

1) I was walking down the hall last year when I noticed a bed in the hallway. I asked my buddy what's that? He goes in and says, "Chris, you got to put that get in your room." Chris says "I got a new bed, leave me alone (This was when Chris wasn't friendly with anyone and no one liked him yet). Buddy says "Look man, if you want your daddy pay for another bed, that's fine, just get rid of the old one.

2) This year. Simms to person. "Look man, I can't sign these footballs everyday. I'm not supposed to do that." Person " Alright, but it's for a good cause. One last time. What's that on TV? (Harcore p*rn)" Simms "Ah yeah, I just got this. You can borrow it after I'm done."

3) Last Christmas break when I was working security for your damn campus. There was trash all up in the hallways so I told this chick who was kind or in charge. The hoops team wouldn't take out their garbage and just threw it in the halls. The chick called up Rick Barnes and the team ran as punishment. Problem solved.

Give me the $100 Kagy. I need money. I'm explaining the Barnes quote, and I guess bring my camera the next time I'm in Austin. You called me an outright liar. Again, sorry for being rude, but maybe you should tone down your arrogant attitude. You are smart and funny, but you are not always right. I take pride in my honesty. I can't believe I'm going to have to prove this stuff, but mark my words. I will.
    ---------------------

The article is posted below. As stated, this is more in-depth than the Chronicle's article, which in retrospect seemed to take some quotes out of context (either that, or this article is off) . I'll post the Chronicle's article later.
    ---------------------

Copyright 2000 Star-Telegram Newspaper, Inc.
    Fort Worth Star Telegram

December 17, 2000, Sunday FINAL EDITION

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 18

LENGTH: 649 words

HEADLINE: UT's Barnes rips fan support after win

BYLINE: Mike Jones; Star-Telegram Staff Writer

BODY:
    TEXAS 79
    A&M-CC 71

AUSTIN - Texas coach Rick Barnes readily admits to
    current holes in the Longhorns' game, as evidenced by the
    way they struggled Saturday in a 79-71 victory over
    second-year program Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, a team that
    lost by 25 two weeks ago at Sam Houston State.

But as he continues to try to put together a young team without
    scoring force and inspirational leader Darren Kelly, who could
    regain his eligibility as early as Wednesday's game at Houston,
    Barnes sees other gaps in the program that frustrate him more -
    such as the lack of fan support.

Saturday's announced attendance of 4,753 in the Erwin Center was the lowest during Barnes' two-plus seasons. Texas has played before an average of 6,127 in five home games this season, including two in the Tivo Preseason NIT. "I don't know how to say this without people getting mad at what I say," Barnes said in preface. "But [the support] has got to get better. We've got to take a hard look at where we are now. I watch games on TV, too. I understand that at this time of year people have other things going on besides basketball. But this is
    embarrassing.

"We have to make some changes, whether people like it or not. If
    there's one thing that has to change during my tenure here, that's it. Because we'll get the players. And you can't say winning is the answer, because we've done that. Ten of the last 11 years Texas has been in the NCAA Tournament. That's a level Texas has gotten to in postseason. But there's another level we have to get to. And that's day in and day out people coming to games."

Barnes has addressed this problem before, calling for a
    reconfiguration of seating in the Erwin Center. That is something
    that might be done next season, now that the athletic department has assumed operational control of the Erwin Center from the business office.

Barnes says, for instance, that students need to have more than
    the current 1,500 seats on the lower level. But he said some
    controversial steps might be necessary, such as denying season
    tickets to those who might have purchased them for a while
    , but no longer use them. Or admitting fans to the lower tier when those seats are empty 10 minutes into a game or selling (first tier end zone) general admission tickets for games that don't figure to draw.

The lower tier of approximately 7,500 seats (of 16,175 capacity)
    are sold, but are seldom filled to 50 percent capacity until Big 12
    play begins.

"I don't care if it means me picking up the phone and telling
    people what we're trying to do," Barnes said. "I appreciate loyalty to the program, but [the lack of attendance] is not fair to our players, to the program or to the university."

Solving that problem will take some time. Fixing what ails the
    Longhorns without Kelly and without an established point guard is a problem more immediate. Transfer Fredie Williams has not been the answer. Barnes, who continues to tinker, got a six-assist game Saturday from Royal Ivey, but the freshman is not a true point guard. Barnes said he will use Kelly at the point if he returns, even though Kelly is more of a shooting guard. The Longhorns, who were 11 for 27 from the free-throw line Saturday, could use the offense.

"We've definitely got to have leadership there to organize the
    team," said winger Maurice Evans, whose 23 points backed up a
    career high 31 by Chris Owens. The Longhorns trailed at the half,
    30-29, but rallied in the second half.

"A lot of times we look unorganized, tentative, sloppy. And
    turnovers come from indecisiveness," Evans said. "We've got to get into an offense and run it with some conviction.

"We came out flat. But there was no momentum to feed off of. The environment was not very good."

Mike Jones, (817) 390-7760
    jonz@star-telegram.com

LOAD-DATE: December 18, 2000

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Okay, I found the Chronicle thing I read a year ago. I was wrong..well sort of. Remember, I quoted from memory from an article a year ago. Also I am right in saying that the Chronicle article is much less in depth than the Ft. Worth one. Barnes didn't say "students" in the chronicle. Ft. Worth explained everything. The fact is he still ripped UT fans, which was my original point, and even wanted to strip season ticket holders. And this game was played while finals was going on...UT takes finals on Saturdays for y'all who don't know. I'm being totally up front. So it was never a complete fabrication like some would say.

--------------------------
    Copyright 2000 The Houston Chronicle Publishing Company
    The Houston Chronicle

December 17, 2000, Sunday 4 STAR EDITION

SECTION: SPORTS; Pg. 6

LENGTH: 794 words

HEADLINE: Owens, Texas have just enough;
    Longhorns battle to the end before trimming Texas A&M-Corpus Christi

SOURCE: Staff

BYLINE: JEROME SOLOMON

DATELINE: AUSTIN

BODY:
    AUSTIN - What most thought would be a walk in the park turned into a tap dance through a minefield for the Texas Longhorns.

With guards Michael Hicks and Lee Denmon III leading the way, Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, whose basketball program is in its second year of existence, gave the lethargic Longhorns a legitimate scare on Saturday.

But after trailing at the half, Texas came to life for a brief 2 1/2-minute stretch midway through the second period and hung on for a 79-71 win before a barely noticeable crowd of 4,753 at the Erwin Center.

Hicks lit the Longhorns up for 33 points, and Denmon added 24, making six of 13 3-pointers. Though no other Islander scored more than five points, A&M-Corpus Christi was within three after Hicks was awarded a field goal on a goaltending call by Chris Owens with 13 seconds remaining.

After a horrendous night at the foul line (11-for-27 overall), Texas hit five of six freebies to close out the game.

Afterward, the Texas players knew they were fortunate to come away with a win - and not just because of some questionable officiating calls that went in their favor late in the game.

"They definitely weren't as bad a team as I guess we thought," said Texas wingman Maurice Evans, who scored 23 points on 8-of-13 shooting. "We just came out a little flat, and we didn't have a lot of intensity. We just didn't play like we're capable of playing.

"We're a young team, but we can't keep using that as an excuse. It's going to come to a point where we're playing better competition and the schedule is going to get very tough. We have to make some changes - quick, fast and in a hurry - because we're going to find out what kind of team we're going to be real fast."

Texas likely would not have gotten this win without the dominating performance of Owens inside. The 6-9 junior poured in a career-high 31 points and had five blocked shots and four assists.

"He's a man-child," Islanders coach Ronnie Arrow said. "To me, he was the difference in the game."

Like their fans, the Longhorns seemed disinterested during the first half and found themselves behind 30-29 at the break. They led just 49-47 with 11:15 to play when Evans jump-started a run that put them in control.

The Longhorns' leading scorer (18.0 points per game) drained a pair of 3-pointers from the right side to open an eight-point advantage. Owens put in a jumper in the lane, and Brandon Mouton stroked another trey as Texas appeared to be off and running at 60-47 with 8:50 remaining.

But Denmon hit a 3, and the Islanders began pecking away. Texas missed six of nine free throws, including three front ends of one-and-one situations, to aid the Islanders' cause, and Denmon sank a 3-pointer to close the gap to 72-67 with 1:24 left.

That's when the fun really began.

The Islanders forced a turnover on a bad pass from Chris McColpin to Evans, who got away with a blatant push in the back in front of an official, as the ball went out of bounds on the Longhorns.

Hicks put in two free throws to cut the margin to 72-69, but Owens rammed home a dunk on a feed from McColpin, who appeared to have traveled prior to making the pass, to put Texas up by five.

Hicks answered with the basket on Owens' goaltending.

Needing to foul, the Islanders' Brian Hamilton grabbed Evans, and a rare intentional foul was called, giving Texas two shots and possession of the ball with 11 seconds left.

Evans hit one of the free throws, but McColpin and Owens went 4-for-4 from the line to close the game.

"I think our team is trying and playing hard, but we have to play smarter," Texas coach Rick Barnes said. "We dug ourselves in a hole by missing so many free throws. We cannot beat a great team when we go 11-for-27 at the line."

Barnes was as disappointed in the crowd as he was in his team's effort. After the game, he spoke for a half hour about the disappointing turnout for a team that improved to 6-2 with the win.

"These guys deserve better," Barnes said. "We're the University of Texas, and we should be proud of a lot of things - and I think we are - but we've got a basketball team that's 6-2 with three freshmen in the starting lineup.

"You really need and you want that kind of (intimidating) atmosphere for the players." [B/]

What is most bothersome about the attendance is the fact the lower section of the Erwin Center is sold out, meaning a significant number of season ticket holders do not attend games, leaving large blocks of good seats unused.

Barnes would like those seats filled. Whether that means those ticket holders giving their seats to someone else, or the school stripping them, he thinks something needs to be done.

"It's got to get better, and it's something we have to take a hard look at," Barnes said.

GRAPHIC: Photo: Texas' Chris Owens, who had a career-high 31 points, leaves no doubt on this dunk during the Longhorns' 79-71 win over Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday.; Associated Press

TYPE: -LINKS-

LOAD-DATE: December 19, 2000

14. BrianKagy

I'm sorry if you thought I was an ******* in my last post, Kim. You are not the first.

1) Why don't you re-read my post? I asked you to cite a source and called the quotes fabrications. I didn't call you a liar.

What I meant was, I thought you were repeating things you'd heard from other Aggies, who as a group have a tendency to repeat idiotic things they'd like to believe are true. Surely you're familiar with some of the urban legends about things Mack Brown has told prospective recruits...?

Sorry I left that open to interpretation.

2) You asked:

Maybe drinking all this varnish has made me blind, but where in the heck do you put this quote in context by saying it was "on the phone talking to his dad"? Am I supposed to be a mindreader now?

If I'm wrong, I'll admit it promptly, but I didn't catch that asterisk either time I read your posts.

3) I apologize that my skepticism offended you, but I don't apologize for its existence. If I had a dollar for everytime someone on an anonymous BBS claimed to have inside information that he'd basically made up, I'd have had to bet you a million dollars just to make it interesting.

4) My objection to the Barnes quote was strictly as it related to the students. I didn't believe Barnes would suggest students not be allowed to purchase tickets given that they make up 90 percent of the fans who can actually be bothered to cheer at a Longhorn basketball game, and the quotes seem to indicate Barnes is disgusted at alumni season ticket holders.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I have been a Simms proponent, because I viewed Major's lack of a big arm as limiting the big chunk plays (deep outs, deep posts that arrive before the safety, etc.). Simms is actually more moble, which doesn't hurt either. But in watching this season, I think Shanna might be right that Major would have been the better choice, though I still think it is a close call.

Simms as of yet does not have Major's ability to read defenses, check off multiple receivers, or effectively call audibles. Against really good defenses, predictability kills. Had the Aggies gotten a couple of fluke plays (tipped interceptions for touchdowns, KR for touchdowns), they might have won a game that should not have been tied in the 4th quarter.

Nonetheless, I take less qualms about Simms over Major than other issues with the offense. I find Davis far too predictable as a play caller. With more creativity and aggressiveness, a lot of pressure could have been taken off Simms in his two bad performances. I say the coaches give Simms little help, and without such help, Major probably could ad lib better when needed.

Also, I am not yet convinced UT's defense is that great. Sure they shut down OU and A&M, but those offenses were pretty sorry and had multiple games where they did almost nothing. My base concern is I do not see the front 4 of Texas putting consistent pressure on the QB. Farris had plenty of open receivers and missed them, and Tech and a few others moved the ball through the air. Basically, I am not confident our defense can go in there and limit Miami or Florida to 10 points or so unless the weather is terrible, or their offenses just don't show up. I hope we get the chance, I am just not convinced and I think we should be underdogs against either.

16. BrianKagy

ttt, because I cannot believe Kim has nothing further to say on the matter.

17. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Oh, my bad...I guess you're right. I didn't make it clear what the Simms quote was. Sorry. But it is true. I don't know how to prove it exactly, but he did say "these fans suck" to his dad on the phone. I'll ask him the next time I see him to be absolutely sure, but I have no reason to believe it isn't true (but I don't know if I should tell him I post what he says on the internet). Why would friends lie about other friends to other friends when just telling a funny story? For unless that's what happened, the quote is true. It was just funny in my opinion.

As for the Barnes quote, I was just recollecting from something I read a year ago. It was paraphased as I noted. I guess he didn't mean students either, but don't be so sure of that. No matter how many season ticket holders that were no shows, there was less than 6,000 people at the game. He was pissed about poor attendance. I thought it was funny that he dissed his own fans. I thought it was really funny that he had no idea finals was going on at the same time the game was.

Those two examples are typical UT in my opinion, of how a coach and a player both bash their own fans. Which was a part of my point that A&M football has the best fans in the country. I mean, look, the A&M team is 6th in the Big 12. No other 6th place team in their conference has the type of dedication that A&M fans have.

I guess this is settled...I didn't mean to be rude to you Kagy...well maybe just a little. I'm just telling you up front that when I got inside info on this stuff, it is real inside info. Stuff like your football team smokes a lot of weed and gets away with it. The next time I go to Austin, I'm bringing a camera.

18. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

do you mean to tell me that a college football team in america is smoking a lot of weed and getting away with it??!!??!!??!!

I just don't know what to say.

someone call richard nixon or something.

19. BrianKagy

And you question my incredulity.

If I characterized the Bonfire collapse as typical of the quality of your engineering department, would you nod and say "Yup, you got me there"...?

Or would you instead claim that the worst incidents connected with a school don't necessarily paint an accurate picture of it overall?

Those two incidents are no more "typical UT" than Jamaar Toombs and his pot-smoking licentiousness are "typical A&M".

20. BrianKagy

PS: you don't have to apologize for being rude to me. I'm a dick and everyone knows it so you're not exactly breaking new ground by tearing me a new one.