1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Using Cato to move up?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by outlaw, Apr 28, 2000.

Tags:
  1. outlaw

outlaw Member

Would you trade Kelvin + #9 to Vancouver for #4 or to Chicago for #2? We'd lose our center but get a Swift or Fizer AND free up more cap room for Finley next summer.

Would the Grizz want 2 overpaid centers though? They have trouble attracting free agents anyway so cap space isn't as big an issue there. It's a good thing Cato played well against them this year (in 3 of the 4 games anyway)

Kelvin played under Tim Floyd at Iowa State so maybe he'd want him in Chicago too? If Mihm stays at UT they might be willing to give us #2 so they can get their center AND still have 2 lotto picks. They don't need Swift or Fizer with Brand around.

Hopefully Venson and Tyrone are now NBA-ready and able to help us in the middle.

[This message has been edited by outlaw (edited April 28, 2000).]

2. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Thats what I was thinking as well. Lets move cato in the draft so we can move up and get either Swift, Martin, or Fizer. I would add Drew to the deal so he can get off the team. [​IMG]

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I guess we've all been thinking about the Chicago connection. My only concern there is that Tim Floyd has little or no influence on Krause's decisions. I read somewhere last week that he (Krause) has kept much of his plans for the draft from Floyd.

------------------

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Ok, so we trade Cato and our pick for a top 3 selection. That would be pretty tough to do. Remember that in trades, draft picks count zero against the cap. That means that if the team that we trade with is over the cap (say Vancouver), then they'd have to send us salaries that are within 15% of Cato's $7M salary (in addition to the draft pick). If the team is far enough under the cap to absorb Cato's salary (somebody like Chicago or Orlando), I doubt that they'd want to lose the extra cap space and flexibility to go after free agents.

Let's say it's Orlando. They're about $18M below the cap, so they could take on Cato's salary to make that deal work, but why? If they do the deal, they get Cato and whoever is still around at #9, but they eat up about $5.5M ($7M + 1.5M as opposed to $3M)in additional cap space. If I'm Orlando I stay where I am and take Martin,Fizer or Swift and use my money to go after the likes of Duncan,Hill,McGrady,Jones,etc...

------------------

5. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

That's what I was thinking about Orlando too. So that's why they're trying to give Denver the #10 pick, but Denver may not want it which leads me to believe they will try to give it to us. Orlando doesn't want to take 3 players in the draft and may give us the 10 or 13 and we could package the 9 and 13 for a top 3. I posted about this in another post, but anyway the Rocks could end up getting 2 of the top 4 picks if they play their cards right. They could trade the 9 and Cato for #1 and then the 10 and Detroit's 14 + Williams and or Drew to Vancouver. But Orlando and Detroit would have to give us their picks this year and Vancouver would have to trade us somebody in return(Othella maybe) for it to work. I don't know if Vancouver would want Walt or Drew anyway so it's just speculation.

------------------

6. aelliott

A couple of points:

- #9 and #13 in this draft won't get you a top 3 pick. After the top 4 or 5 the value falls off in this draft. We're not really crazy about anybody at #9, so you're going to trade that pick and one 4 spots lower for Kenyon Martin?

-#9 and Cato won't get you the first pick. See my first post in this thread.

------------------

7. PekingDuck

PekingDuck Member

How many people said it was impossible to get Francis last year?

------------------

8. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Everyone, until he threw a tantrum. When the player publicly states it like Pippen, you can get him for much less.

I don't understand what's with the fascination with trading Cato. How are you going to replace him? Not to mention, as Aelliott stated, the other team would have to match Cato's salary, and then we would have to take on some throw-ins.

You guys do realize we could get someone good at #9 which so many underclassmen declaring. Trading up isn't a necessity.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Aelliott, wouldn't Cato only be worth only half his salary in trade because of base-year compensation rules? Additionally, $7 million is his average salary over 6 years, so his salary next year is something like $5 million. If BYC does apply to him, that means his value in trade would only be $2.5 million. A capped out team could trade a good pick and an overpriced scrub for him. Of course, your point about teams with cap-space still would hold because his whole $5 million would count to that.

Not that I'm advocating trading Cato in the first place.

------------------

10. popeye

popeye Member

Well I thought it was possible!

LOL [​IMG]

11. aelliott

Juan V,

You're right, Cato is a BYC player. So, we could only get $2.5M in return, but the other team would have to be able to fit Cato's entire $5M or so under their cap. That means that they'd have to have at least $2.5M in cap space free. So, as you point out, we're back to the question of why would a team like Chicago or Orlando want to give up K.Martin, Fizer or Swift along with $5M in cap space just to get Cato and the #9 pick.

------------------

[This message has been edited by aelliott (edited May 01, 2000).]

12. aelliott

How many people said it was impossible to get Francis last year?

I believe that there were 47 of us.

------------------