1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US National Parks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DCkid, Jul 16, 2009.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

I'm a huge fan of National Parks, and am looking forward to Ken's new documentary about the NP System, which comes out in a few weeks called The National Parks: America's Best Idea.

Just wondered what National Parks everyone has been to, and what their favorites are. I'll be going to Grand Teton & Yellowstone for a week in September in case anyone's been there and has some suggestions.

I'll start with a list of the major parks I've been to...in somewhat ranked order.

1.) Acadia, Maine - Love how you get the best of both worlds with Rocky Shores and Mountains.
    2.) Yosemite, CA - This park looks like a fantasy land more than any other park I've been to.
    3.) Rocky Mountain National Park, CO - Drove up through the clouds to get there.
    4.) Denali National Park, Alaska - Great wildlife...only problem it's not near as accessible as other parks for hiking. Have to take a bus to get into it, and the drive is long and slow.
    5.) Kenai Fjords, Alaska - beautiful, gigantic glaciers and lots of ocean wildlife.
    6.) Great Smoky Mountain National Park, TN/NC - Beautiful Parks with a lot of great hikes. The only problem is the traffic can be pretty bad.
    7.) Shenandoah - Local to me, so I've been there several times and never gets old.
    8.) Everglades, FL - The wildlife was incredible, but it's not the most scenic of the parks because it's so flat, and not much hiking can be done there.

Parks I really need to go see: Grand Canyon, Zion, Arches, Big Bend, Olympic, Sequoia, Death Valley, Joshua Tree, Badlands, Glacier, Crater Lake, Mount Rainier, Carlsbad Caverns

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I've been to about 8 NPs, including Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Yosemite, etc. My Cousin and I did a Road Trip back in Summer of 2006 and we hit up most of the big ones in the Western US.

But for our money, Zion is the most incredible place.

And If you stay there, its a 2 hour drive to Bryce Canyon, and I think maybe 4 to Grand Canyon.

We camped there 2 nights. Spectacular scenery, and the Hiking is just one of the most memorable things I have ever done in my life.

Zion.

[​IMG]

Bryce.

[​IMG]

3. DCkid

Yeah, I've heard similar thins about Zion before. Maybe that should be at the the top of my list. Some pics from my visits.

Acadia
    [​IMG]

Great Smoky Mountain
    [​IMG]

Denali
    [​IMG]

Kenai
    [​IMG]

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nice pics, I wish I had a better Camera when I was in Zion, and that pic I posted of Bryce doesn't really do it justice since Bryce is known for its interesting orangish rock formations.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Some of the ones that I really enjoyed over the last couple of years:

Arches - Utah
    Yellowstone - Wyoming
    Mount Rainier - Washington
    Mount St. Helens - Washington
    Craters of the Moon - Idaho
    Grand Canyon - Arizona

Now, while the Grand Canyon was incredible, it's also way too crowded in the summer with all the foreign tourists and excess traffic. Yellostone is pretty large so at least the crowds are somewhat dispersed.

Mount Rainier is gorgeous, but got hit pretty bad with some flooding a year ago, which took down a bunch of trees and re-routed lots of streams. St. Helens is absolutely incredible. They have a visitors center that recreats the eruption step by step, as well as the ensuing aftermath.

Craters of the Moon in Idaho is kind of a pass through space, but the rock volcanic there is really cool. And yall mentioned Bryce Canyon, but Arches is pretty damn cool too. There's a gorgeous hike up to the top of the famous Delicate Arch.

#5 Baqui99, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Bear Creek Park, yo.

7. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

A few parks that I have been to:

Smoky Mountain National Park
    Rocky Mountain National Park
    Glacier National Park and it's Canadian partner the Wharton National Park

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

you guys are forgetting a pretty awesome one: Haleakala National Park on Maui

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Bryce
    [​IMG]

Rocky Mnt National Park
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yellowstone
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zion
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

Zion is awesome. Be careful during the winter months, though. It's only a couple or so hour drive from Vegas, which is a nice plus.

I know it's not a national park, but the entire island of Kauai is incredibly beautiful. Maui a close second. The Big Island a close third.

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

National Parks you say?

Favorites are marked with an *
    Those marked with a # are ones where I've spent some job time...either fire or something fire-related.

East of the 100th meridian:
    (I had to look up some of these to remember... particularly the DC/VA area park units.)

Hyde Park (FDR)
    Teddy's Birthplace
    Statue of Liberty
    Delaware Water Gap
    Assateague Island
    Antietam*
    Catoctin Mountain
    C&O Canal
    Fort McHenry
    Fort Washington
    George Washington Memorial Parkway
    Baltimore-Washington Parkway
    Monocacy Battlefield
    Harpers Ferry
    New River Gorge
    Arlington National Cemetery*
    Fort Circle
    Constitution Gardens
    Ford's Theater
    Fort Dupont
    FDR Memorial
    Frederick Douglas National Historic Site
    Kenilworth Park
    Korean War
    Vietnam War*
    WWII
    Lincoln Memorial*
    National Mall
    Old Post Office
    Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site
    President's Park (White House)
    Rock Creek Park
    Jefferson Memorial*
    Washington Monument
    Mt. Vernon
    Appomattox
    Manassas
    Shenandoah*
    Blue Ridge Parkway
    Jamestowne
    Yorktown
    Colonial Parkway
    Cape Henry
    Great Smoky
    Wright Brothers
    Cape Hatteras*
    Cape Lookout
    Fort Raleigh
    Fort Sumter
    Chickamauga and Chattanooga
    Kennesaw Mountain*
    Chattahoochee River
    MLK
    Andersonville*
    Jimmy Carter
    Cumberland Island
    Trail of Tears
    Canaveral
    Big Cypress
    Everglades*
    Natchez Trace
    Natchez
    Shiloh
    Selma to Montgomery Trail
    Vicksburg*
    Cane River
    Jean Lafitte
    New Orleans Jazz
    Cane River Creole
    Poverty Point
    Gateway Arch
    Big Thicket

West of the 100th Meridian:

Chikasaw #
    Wa****a #
    San Antonio Missions*
    LBJ
    Guadalupe Mountains #
    Lake Meredith #
    Alibates Flint Quarry #
    White Sands
    Gila Cliff Dwellings #
    Bandelier*#
    Pecos*#
    Fort Union#
    Capulin#
    Aztec Ruins#
    El Morro#
    El Malpais#
    Petroglyph#
    Dinosaur
    Rocky Mountain#
    Mesa Verde*#
    Hovenweep#
    Black Canyon of the Gunnison
    Curecanti
    Colorado National Monument*
    Great Sand Dunes
    Yellowstone*#
    Grand Teton#
    Glacier*#
    Craters of the Moon#
    Arches*
    Canyonlands
    Glen Canyon
    Natural Bridges
    Capital Reef
    Bryce
    Zion#
    Grand Canyon*#
    Lake Mead#
    Navajo
    Wupatki
    Canyon De Chelly*
    Hubbell Trading Post
    Petrified Forest
    Walnut Canyon
    Saguaro*#
    Chiricahua#
    Fort Bowie
    Coronado#
    Death Valley
    Joshua Tree
    Mojave
    Sequoia and Kings Canyon*#
    Yosemite*#
    Pinnacles
    Point Reyes
    Muir Woods
    Presidio
    San Francisco Maritime
    Fort Point
    Lassen Volcanic*#
    Whiskeytown#
    Redwood*
    Oregon Caves#
    Crater Lake*#
    Wrangell-St. Elias
    Haleakala
    Hawaii Volcanoes*
    Kalaupapa*
    USS Arizona

12. DCkid

Recently got back from a week long camping trip at Glacier National Park in northern Montana. Probably the most scenic NP I've been too so far. Just wish I could have seen it when the glaciers were still going strong. I'll try to post a pic or two when I get around to it.

We hiked about fifty five miles over the course of the week. Hiking is pretty much required if you really want to see a good portion of the park.

So, does anyone else have any National Park trips planned this summer?

Next year thinking about going to some parks in Utah or if we're feeling really ambitious then possibly going to Hawaii. Any tips on Volcanoes NP or Haleakala? Things to look for, hikes to take, where to stay, etc.? Is camping do-able in those Hawaii parks?

13. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

I've been to a ton of them. I'd have to get out a map to remember them all.

Favorite by far was Glacier in Montana, closely followed by the Sequoia Grove in CA or any park on the west coast with trees so big around you can hide buses behind them.

I've always wanted to visit Yellowstone in the winter. I think seeing it in the mind-numbing cold sans the tidal wave of ignorant humanity would really make the landscape all the more jaw-dropping.

14. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:eek: Man, were you skinny back then, sir.

;)

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if/when you head to Big Bend. Be sure to plan a stay at the Gage Hotel in Marathon to recoup and relax

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I've been to almost all the NPs listed previously. Denali would be favorite in the US.

That being said, Canadian National Parks are sadly much more well-kept and preserved than US parks imo. Banff was just amazing.

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I've only been to Glacier Bay, Hot Springs, Petrified Forest, and Grand Canyon. Hot Springs is kinda funny because it's really small and the only one actually in a town. I've spent a lot of time there because I knew a lot of people from college that grew up in Hot Springs.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive been to big bend 7 or 8 times. for awhile i was going once or twice a year, but i havent been since 2003. my all-time favorite camping experience is spending 3 days or so doing the south rim trail.

(not my photo, but a nice one of the view from the south rim)
    [​IMG]

southern utah - bryce canyon, arches, canyonlands, zion - all amazing places, but bryce is my favorite. canyonlands is really trippy too. zion is beautiful and the views are great, but its so massive and crowded. i enjoyed hiking around/exploring bryce and canyonlands much more.

there are also some really cool state parks in southern utah - deadhorse canyon (named after the band!) and gobblin valley, which is a valley w/ thousands of spooky, gobblin-like rock formations.