1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

US Men's National Team at World Cup 2014

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by JonRetro, Jun 15, 2014.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I am really just enjoying every game of this WC -- it's really been the best i've seen in my life. I'll be rooting for The Netherlands when they play, but I mainly hope to see crazy exciting games.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't cheer for anyone else but MEXICO. Watching and cheering are two different things. No fan in this thread who is a Mexico fan will tell you they're now "rooting" for another team. That's how we're loyal. Everyone who cheered for USA now suddenly has "other teams." LOLs.

Question for you, non USA and non MEXICO fan:
    Whom do you think played BETTER in the World Cup, alemán? Mexico or USA? :confused:

LOL :grin: Sure, they are. That's why Howard stopped so many shots and USA had 0 offside calls... and wasted all those chances to score. SURE. :grin: You're a good comedian.

3. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Loved the post and agree with so much

Slays me for him because knowing how hard the dude worked just to even get to MLS and then make the national team. I hope he doesn't let that miss break him because other misses (almost sitters) have happened to better players just in this tournament alone.
    Yeah you were def not a fan of Beckerman, glad to hear his play made you come around. He definitely deserved to start and someone mentioned Cameron was needed for height on set pieces. How'd that work out? Any set piece goals in the 90 mins? Not that major set piece threats by Belgium in the 90 and not many opportunities for the US as well.
    Man, Americans can say that for almost every goalie each World Cup. From Meola, to Friedel to Keller to Howard. They each keep surpassing their predecessors. I expect Guzan to do the same. The bar set by US GK's is so high it's impressive.

I think it was revealed that he had some interest from some lower tier EPL and Championship sides last season. I believe all those teams are still back in the market and now Besler won the MLS cup w/SKC and has appeared in the WC, the only question is which foreign team will pony up the amount needed for MLS & SKC to agree to sell him. I read $5mill is the magic number

For Beasley- money. If an MLS team offers something similar to what he's been earning in Mexico then I'm sure at this point in his career he'd take it. I think MLS ( & teams) were lowballing after his European stay was over.

If it were anyone else like Donovan then I'd say no chance for 2018. For Dempsey, he is soooo Klinsman's favourite child that he has a chance to be there in 2018 as long as he is in decent form.
    I think the USA has enough quality at GK that they won't need Howard for a 3rd cycle. Cody Cropper will probably be Guzan's backup. By that time one of Sean Johnson or Bill Hamid should be in Europe. Luis Robles is a quality goalkeeper, and there are some other good ones in MLS.
    You couldn't be any more right about Freddy and his situation. I've seen my share of talented US players, Freddy was ridiculous. (You never know he might be in the mix in 2018, things happen).

What's next?

Julian Green clearly has a future.
    Joe Corona, Joe Gyau & Junior Flores with Dortmund, Terrence Boyd, and others. Hopefully Gedion Zelalem decides to play with the US now that his citizenship[/QUOTE]

Watch for Emerson Hyndman. The kid is a bit more physically ready than Gedion, he will also probably get a bit of 1st team action at Fulham this season in the Championship.

Add some Luis Gil in there as well as Joe Gallardo. (Joe Corona is ahead of him in the US set up but Gallardo will get there). Also some other younger lads that time will tell how they end up. This article mentions a few and two I'd keep an eye on are Christian Pulisic and Jordan Morris. Both ballers in their respective age groups.
    http://www.si.com/soccer/planet-futbol/2014/07/02/usa-2018-world-cup-roster

The talent is coming through for the US and it keeps getting better and better each cycle imo and I see nothing stopping that. Especially with the strides MLS academies have made(and tbh it's not even that impressive but for the fact they weren't even in existence a decade ago).

Meh, he was fit. He didn't fail any conditioning tests. He was fit.

2 people like this.
  4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Thanks ferrari77. By the way, I just learned Freddy is on trial with Norwegian club Stabæk...coached by none other than Bob Bradley.

Because much of this century has been dominated by Donovan, Beasley, Howard, and Dempsey, I'm really excited to see what's next.

And swolly, I can root for whomever the f*** I want. If the US was still playing, of course I'd be rooting for them and only them. Now they're out. It's not like I'm going out and buying a Colombian jersey and heading to my nearest Colombian restaurant to lose my voice again yelling for my team. I like the way they play and I'd like to see someone outside of the typical winners to take this Cup. Plus, I have some really good friends from Colombia and I will root with them as they were rooting with me for the US. It doesn't affect my fandom one bit.

And to answer your question. The US played better. The end.

5. SwoLy-D

LOL. :grin: You mad, bro? No one is saying NOT to root for anyone else. I'm saying how much of a bandwagoner you are, is all. Get on their bandwagon.

Yeah, they U.S. played better if you think two losses is better than one. Cool!

"Boo-hoo, I can root for whomever the F*** I want! Leave me alone! Waaa!"
    [​IMG]
    Heeeaaa!!! *wagon pulls off* LOL

6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

hey Swoly were you born in the US?

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Oh my God, what a god-damn moron

Al Morganti of WIP in Philadelphia zeros in on the fact that the US went 1-2-1 in the World Cup. I mean, forget the fact that they advanced out of the group stage, which was something that not many people expected them to do...

8. SwoLy-D

^^ CLASSLESS emmeffer. Anyway, That dude reminds me of the article a guy in the POST or CHRONICLE, I think, wrote about the Brazil vs. Italy final in 1994. He ripped SOCCER apart for the Chronicle in his column, and people just ripped him a new one in the editorials. Anyone remember that?
    I don't know what my personal birth place has to do with this, but... since you asked nicely: NO, I wasn't born in the US. :eek: Why did you ask that? *where were you going with it?*

http://time.com/2934401/world-cup-2014-football-soccer-mexico/

#1268 SwoLy-D, Jul 3, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Yeah they got out of the group stage, but got outplayed in every game besides the Portugal one. Outplayed vs. Ghana, outplayed vs. Germany, outplayed vs. Belgium.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Meanwhile, it's morning in America...

We petition the obama administration to:
    Change the name of Washington National Airport (DCA) to "Tim Howard National Airport"

Whereas Tim Howard has shown himself to be a national treasure, Minister of Defense, Friend of Joe Biden, and the holder for the record of most saves in a World Cup match; Therefore, we politely request that we rename the airport to recognize his accomplishments, and meritorious service to the United States of America.

11. leroy

Since you seem to care so much about who we root for, I will never root for mexico.

#1271 leroy, Jul 3, 2014
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good indicators will remain head to head matchups in full strength.

If you go by group stage: Mexico had more points, the same amount of goals scored and less conceded

advantage Mexico

13. Indaface

Indaface Member

Why is he even in this thread trolling is what I don't get...

14. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

Mexico fans owe the USMNT for winning that Panama game and making it all the way to qualifiying for the Copa Mundial as FOURTH place in CONCECAF behind the Ticos and powerhouse Honduras, and only because of the great play by Abuelo Cuatamoc Blanco. How quickly my El Tri-loving friends forget:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DE--yWohZro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The US might be out of the World Cup but Azteca is still their b****! ;):grin::eek::cool::p:eek:

#1274 Deji McGever, Jul 3, 2014
  15. DwightHoward13

16. dmc89

dmc89 Member

What a fantastic weekend of games this will be!

-The lady I'm trying to get with is Colombian so that's who I'm rooting for tomorrow since we're watching it together.

-It's a tossup between France and Germany now.

-Although they soundly defeated us, I thought Belgium played well and (finally) to the level of their talented roster. I'm rooting for them vs. Argentina who won scrappy games thanks to one amazing player.

-Costa Rica is my favorite underdog. No one predicted they'd make it this far. I want them to upstage the elite Dutch.

17. leroy

You must be new here.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know I know but Mexico was the better overall team. There is no doubt.

Ned made two goals within 6-7 minutes with some ref help. Of course some were mad

19. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/y9xc4jOHca0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

'Merica :cool:

20. david_rocket

david_rocket Member