1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update on McGahee??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lil Francis, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I just don't see any way Rogers falls below Detroit.

2. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

3. drapg

drapg Member

That is correct. Our pick is suddenly tradeable to whomever wants to nab Leftwich before the Bears get there paws on him.

We could really hold Chicago ransom now (like the Chargers dangled the #1 pick last year and the potential to draft Vick), allowing us to get some veterans, extra picks, and the ability to draft Gross, Kennedy, Joseph, or Williams

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Dude I can't believe Channel 13 showed the first replay...the one that shows his leg snap back like a twig :(

They said he won't be ready till January 2004...damn

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hey Ric I gotta question for you.... Im a big Jonathan Wells fan. Me and my brother were arguing and I said if Wells had a better oline he woulda been as good as portis. Do you think so?

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Thats no contest.

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

ehhhhhh.... he may have been more productive than he was, but better than portis...? no. sorry, man. there's a reason portis went 50 something picks ahead of him.

i don't think wells will every be an every down back in the NFL, BUT... i think he'll be a solid back-up in the league, and there's nothing wrong with that.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/6108035

Report: McGahee took out $2.5M policy before Fiesta Bowl
    Jan. 6, 2003
    SportsLine.com wire reports

MELBOURNE, Fla. -- Miami tailback Willis McGahee took out a $2.5 million insurance policy two weeks before he was injured in the Fiesta Bowl and can collect after a year if the injury prevents him from returning to football, a Florida newspaper reported.

Insurance agent Keith Lerner of Gainesville told Florida Today that the policy was signed and put into effect just prior to the national championship game, the newspaper said in a story for Tuesday editions.

That last-minute decision could end up securing McGahee's financial future if he's unable to play again. The sophomore rushed for a school-record 1,686 yards and 27 touchdowns this season, and was projected to be a top NFL draft pick had he turned pro early.

McGahee sustained a severe injury to his left knee in the fourth quarter of the 31-24 loss to Ohio State in the Fiesta Bowl.

"I just visited him in the hospital and told him that my hope is, and that everybody's hope is, that you're going to the NFL and make a substantial amount of money," Lerner said Monday night. "But if he doesn't, he's got something to fall back on."

McGahee had surgery Sunday at HealthSouth Doctors Hospital, next to the Coral Gables campus. Doctors repaired torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments and are hopeful he could eventually play again.

If not, he'll get $2.5 million minus taxes, Lerner said. He said McGahee will be eligible to collect Jan. 3, 2004 -- one year from the date of the injury.

Dr. John Uribe, who performed the surgery, declined to set a timetable for McGahee's return but said he should make a complete recovery.

Lerner, president of the financial consulting firm Total Planning, has written numerous insurance policies for college stars. Lerner told Florida Today he wrote a policy for McGahee in late December with Lloyd's of London, after McGahee contacted him.

The coverage officially started Dec. 20. The final medical forms were sent to Lloyd's of London the day of the Fiesta Bowl, Lerner said.

McGahee's premium was about $20,000, paid for with a loan taken out by McGahee's family, Lerner told the newspaper.

"It was a real, real smart decision on his behalf," Lerner said. "He wanted to get as much insurance as he could. The ironic thing about it is that he waited so late in the season to get it that he got a lot more coverage than he could have at the beginning of the season."

Insurance policies for college athletes not taken out directly through the NCAA's program can be done by independent writers.

Lerner insured four Hurricane players a year ago that went on to become first-round picks: Bryant McKinnie, Mike Rumph, Phillip Buchanon and Ed Reed.

Former Florida defensive tackle Ed Chester, another former Lerner client, suffered a similar knee injury in his senior season for the Gators in 1998 and collected the following fall on a $1 million policy.

9. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

yeah i heard them talking about him. do u think he'll be the same as before?

10. tigereye

tigereye Member

Mcgahee will probably never be the same runner again because types of injuries normally restrict the lateral movement of any player who has recovered form these injuries. For example, Lee Suggs Rb, before he had speed and lateral movement that reminded many poeple of Barry Sanders. Now he can still move but not like he used to. Besides, by the time Mcgahee is ready to return, Frank Gore, the next great Miami running back will have the position and the spotlight all to himself since he is considerd to be better than Edgerrin James, Clinton Portis, and Willis Mcgahee. Sad story, tha' man had a hall of fame type carrer stolen from him before it could even start. :(

The Texans should trade the pick. The Saints have two picks in the draft from the Ricky Williams deal beginning with i believe the 15th pick. Larry Johnson, not Grandmama from the Charlotte Hornets but the RB from Penn State is projected to be a mid to late first rounder and will porbably be available at 15. To stiffen up the defense to resemble the Ravens of 01' they should also think about going after Terrill Suggs a fine pass rusher form Az State. Did any of you guys see him in the Holiday Bowl. That preformance was unreal. He reminds me of a young LT.

11. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

hold up....

a) who do the saints want at #3 that's worth two #1's? two #1's? that's giving up an awful lot and not likely to happen. the pick that became michael vick atop the 2000 draft was only worth a #1, #2 (the following year) and a #3.

but, OK, assuming for a second that there is someone worth that much, wouldn't the texans be better off keeping the pick and drafting whoever it is the saints have deemed so good they'd be willing to part with two valuable #1's? if there's a guy worth two #1's (and there's not, btw), the texans need him.

b) terrell suggs probably won't fall outside of the top 10. he's a freak and freeney's success this year opened a lot of eyes: speed is every bit as vital as size when it comes to rushing the QB.

#31 Hey Now!, Jan 7, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2003
  12. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Great story on why McGahee should enter the NFL draft. I think that or transferring to a school that doesn't recruit as much top talent as Miami are the best options. Would you take a risk on him with one of our late picks?

ESPN page 2 McGahee story

13. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Man i would be tempted to take him in the later rounds. If he fully recovers he can become one of the best backs in the NFL and McGahee with one leg is better than any running back we have now.

14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

No doubt...I'd take him in the late rounds solely based on his potential.

15. Preston27

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Bold move.

17. Preston27

Smart move.

18. Mr. Mooch

Mr. Mooch Contributing Member

Very interesting; the knee must be really injured:( .

I say third-round pick.

19. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Why would a team take a guy with a draft pick who won't contribute for two years, if ever?

Unless the team is going to magically draft him two new knee ligaments, it's a silly, silly pick.

20. drapg

drapg Member

It's a perfect pick for a team with an eye towards the future and an established back near the end of his career.

Titans would be the best fit.