1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Update on McGahee??

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Lil Francis, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

If any of you have the latest word on his injury please post it. The way his leg looked when he was hit was not a pretty sight. I just hope all the x-rays are negative and he will be up and ready for the NFL combine so my Texans can draft him. John McClain was on 610 a couple of days ago and he said his sources told him the Texans are very high on McGahee.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regardless of what the doctors say about that injury, I can just about guarantee you the Texans are no longer very high on McGahee.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i think you're absolutely right...the injury just added a degree of risk the texans can't afford to stomach with their top draft pick this season. they need every key player at every possible position except QB, at this point. they can't risk that draft pick on mcgahee given what we saw tonight. that's unfortunate.

4. rockets688

rockets688 Member

You think the Texans will go with another Heisman candidate? Larry Johnson perhaps?

5. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I'm not sure what the official word is on his injury, but I'd expect it to be bad. It looked like what they teach us in med school as a classic football injury called the "Terrible Triad." It's when a player has his leg planted and gets hit on the lateral (outside) aspect of his knee causing 1) ACL tear 2) MCL tear and 3) medial meniscus tear. I really hope that's not the case though. For a guy to have a season like his and then suffer a serious knee injury in most likely his last game before being a top 5 pick in the NFL is really sad. It may make Roy Williams think twice about his decision (I certainly hope not).

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

michigan state receiver...

7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Teammates were saying it was probably a ligament(s) tear. He probably wont declare for the draft if he can(he's a soph.) I hope he can go back for a junior season and maybe compete for the heisman if he's ready.

I think we should take a look at Larry Johnson, Charles Rogers, and the lineman from Utah or Arizona or wherever it was. I heard Dom on ABC saying they like the lineman prospect and were very interested in him.

8. codell

codell Contributing Member

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

his first half performance alone is why the texans don't need mcgahee at this point in time, or, as the insufferable keith jackson kept referring to him, "mgay." that's what he'd look like running behind houston's line -- 1, 2 yards a carry and not much else. even great RBs need holes to work with and right now, houston can't provide them. be even harder with no downfield threat. teams would stack 8 in the box and shut everything down.

get the guy who can stretch the field (rogers), rebuild the line through FA and then get your running back.

10. adrian

adrian Member

I feel for the guy, just a couple of days ago he was being projected as a top 5 pick in the 2003 NFL Draft, and now he faces months of rehabilitation and an uncertain future. Just shows how quickly everything can change and how us as sports fans really can't complain or criticize student-atheles when they leave school early. I wish him luck.

Adrian

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I definitely agree. I wasn't saying that the Texans should have been interested in McGahee, just that seeing that injury would turn any team off if they had been considering him. Personally, I find it difficult to believe the Texans were ever "high" on McGahee, based on Casserly's RB draft history (which I believe I have discussed on here in the past). But if they were, I am somewhat happy for the injury (in a sick way) because I wasn't really all that impressed with McGahee even when he was given big holes to run through.

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not to turn this into a Texans thread, but what kind of "rumors" are there coming out of Detroit about them picking Rogers?

As for McGahee, that one slow motion angle really made my stomach turn. I really feel for the guy.

One final note: Miami's uniforms are just sweet. I know people here would probably disagree, but I think and orange color like theirs would look pretty good on the Rox, maybe with black and blue as the other colors.

13. drapg

drapg Member

I think he's gotta stay at Miami now and hope that he can duplicate his season and restore the faith of NFL scouts to become a top pick next year.

Really tough break for the guy. Sad to see it happen. I was ready to see him in Houston.

14. Truth

Truth Member

^^ Me too. I hope he'll be able to regain 85% of his speed and his change of direction ability. **Sighs** I guess we'll just have to settle for Jimmy Kennedy.

15. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Charlie Rogers... with a weapon like him keeping defenses honest, I think JWells will have a decent season.

That is factoring in a healthy Boselli and Young and maybe a free agent addition to the line... is that wishful thinking or realistic?

Anyone hear anything about Boselli's progress?

16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

well, young is a FA, but it's not terribly unrealistic. word is, boselli's expected back (i'll believe it when i see it, but...) and casserly has said they'd rather build the line with vets, so yeah, a FA isn't beyond reason.

as for mcgahee, he's looking at 9-12 months of rehab; he'll probably miss some of next season. there's no way he's entering the draft.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Since McGahee is hurt:mad: I think the Texans should trade the pick. Rogers will be gone so I would trade it. Im not excited about the draft anymore. I don't care who they pick up with the pick.

18. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I hope McGahee can rebound from this like Suggs did this year. I was really hoping the Texans could pick him up it wont happen now atleast this year. Rogers will be gone, Roy is staying, McGahee injured, I say trade lower and draft defense.

19. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

I wasn't really high on McGahee anyway. He's good, but we need to improve many other areas before we get a running back.

About Boselli... I agree, we shouldn't believe anything until that guy is blocking on Sundays. As far as Young goes, is he healthy or has he showed signs of being healthy from now on? I hope to resign him becuase he's young and pretty good, but only if he'll stay healthy.

I think we'll end up getting a big DT (like Ric mentioned in another thread) and offensive improvements (recievers, O-line, depth) will have to be improved via free agency.

20. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Trade the third pick to Cincy for Cory Dillion:D