1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Unreleased Astros promo from 2004

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htwnbandit, Oct 2, 2019.

1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Saw this posted on FB. Figured somebody here would appreciate it.

K mf G likes this.
  2. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Jeremy Foster inspired?

conquistador#11 likes this.
  3. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Faith? oof....quite the slogan....have a little faith...that we'll win it all...LMAO

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Also, the R&B Dickie Thon in a box campaign was scratched, but I don't know what ever happened to it.

Nook likes this.
  5. SemisolidSnake

Yikes. I did make it all the way through it. I'm not sure if that was a good thing.

Found this bumper sticker recently at home. Anyone remember this from 1993?

[​IMG]

6. msn

msn Member

A photo I've scoured the interwebs for a dozen times and never found: a promo poster from like 92 or so, with the slogan "young guns of the west." Biggio's in the middle, posed like he's talking a grounder but with a huge glove, Bagwell's on one side, and I think Cammy is on the other.

htwnbandit likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

I remember something like that. You don't ever give up now.

8. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Here is the CREEPY 1989 Astros poster that @Buck Turgidson kept hidden behind his bedroom door growing up.
    [​IMG]

Here is @bobrek checking out the construction of the Astrodome.

[​IMG]

Just for the hell of it..... I threw this one in. Anyone that is too young to remember baseball in 1980's....... this picture covers it all.

9. Nook

Nook Member

10. Buck Turgidson

No lie...in my LL days those were my 2 favorite 3Bmen.

Wasn't around for the construction, but I do still have the 6" round metal tin replica of the Dome they gave out in '99 or so that I used to (*used to*) store my pot in.

And the Jose Cruz wooden bat, and the orange pennant from '81 (I think?), and a child's medium rainbow gut jersey, and the souvenir ball they gave out the home game after Nolan broke Walter Johnson's K record (sponsored by Gulf Oil), etc....

Nook likes this.
  11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

So much hype, so little success in that rotation

msn, vince, arkoe and 1 other person like this.
  12. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Ha! I remember the excitement of signing Swendell and Drabek. Just didn’t pan out like everyone had hoped.

13. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

I was a huge Royals fan dating back to 76. They were my American league team to follow. I choose the Royals because my best friend, Mickey was raised as a diehard Yankees fan and I was raised by a Brooklyn Dodger fan to hate the Yankees. The first game I remember watching on TV of the Yankees with my friend was versus the Royals, so I adopted them. Needless to say Brett became my favorite player. They had epic battles with the Yanks in the late 70's and 80's.

In 1986 I worked the All-star game at the Astrodome. I kept one program that I was able to get several autographs on. I was trying desperately to get Brett's attention, he was standing on the field talking to a few players before the game (he didn't play since he was injured). He ignored me the entire time. Lou Whitaker pops his head up over the dugout and says "hey kid do you want some batting gloves?" I was so pumped, I ask Sweet Lou if he'd sign my program and he did. Then Tommy Lasorda's asked if I wanted his, I swallowed my Dodger hate since my pops was still a Dodger fan and told him yeah since my dad loves you. Don Aase and Alan Trammell then walked over. I went over to first base side and was only able to get one. Kevin Bass.

So I had given up on Brett. The game was over. I was a little disappointed. I was walking up the stair case towards the fifth level, I think, where were supposed to turned in our money and extra programs. Just as I make a turn in the stair case around the 3rd level Brett comes out of one of the doors about 10 feet in front of me. I just start yelling "Mr. Brett can I have your autograph?" About the third time he sticks his hand straight up in the air, so I pass my program up with a pen, about 3 people pass it up and then it comes back down the stairs to me. I was on cloud 9 as a teenage baseball nut.

One of my all-time favorite memories of 80's baseball.

Nook likes this.
  14. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

After a while, people started referring to them as Swindle and Draw-back.

mikol13 likes this.
  15. SemisolidSnake

This was posted earlier this year, but in terms of Astros promos, it's got to be one of the best. I wish I knew what year it was; it's probably older than me.

K mf G likes this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

I know that Drabek/Swindell trade was reviled. Or at least my dad very much didn't like it. I was too young to know what to think.

I did see Drabek hit a home run in person.

Nook likes this.
  17. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I'm thinking mid-'80s. Definitely getting "Push it to the Limit" vibes, maybe '83?

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I remember this. I think its either 83 or 84

19. SuraGotMadHops

I'm trying to find an image of a bumper sticker with a 1986 Division Champions graphic. We stuck that on a folding steel chair that we would pull out when we had company. That chair with the sticker slapped to the back of it were around for a looooong time.

20. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

I had that Warren Moon Moonlighting poster in my room growing up...damn hadn't seen that in a long time

f'ing Bills and Chiefs ruined his era

Nook likes this.