1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UNOFFICIAL] Texans off-season thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by codell, Jan 1, 2018.

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Lets not act like Rick Smith did all of the drafting.

These guys were the MAIN guys behind the scene.

Our new GM wants his own guys in the office. No big deal.

red5rocket likes this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wait, I thought the coaches did the drafting?

"_______ was a Kubiak guy."
    "_______ was a Wade Phillips pick."
    "_______ was a BO'B guy."
    "Crennel wanted _______."
    And of course all the busty picks belonged to Rick.

;)

Mr. Clutch, Fulgore and Nimo like this.
  3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He lives here. Has no bearing on where he ends up signing.

4. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

All i know is since Rick has been with us, we are still mediocre. Texans have been a football team for 16 years with Smith being our GM for ~11 years? Out of that 11 years we only made playoffs 4 times, he deserves most of the blame cause he has been here the longest. This team is frustrating to watch, i just hope watson is ready for next season.

5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Maybe a tad. I dont know if he lives in Houston but who wouldnt want to play where they live?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

They were aligned with Rick Smith.

7. Champs

Champs Member

Franchise QBs do not grow on trees. To go to playoffs 4 times in 11 years aint that bad of a job roster wise.

coachbadlee likes this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Speaking of Watson, you know where to send the thank you card for him coming here?

coachbadlee and Fulgore like this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Franchise qbs don't grow on trees, but we never really tried, (I mean high pick usage for one) drafting for one until watson. U know why though because we have fans like u pleased with just making it into playoffs. Mediocre IS how I would describe the Texans franchise history. The only positive thing is that we aren't da fking browns.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

How does he deserve most of the blame? He wasn't here alone. Why does he never get any props for the winning seasons that they had? Why doesn't he get props for drafting that #1 defense that Vrabel screwed up?

11. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm saying this franchise in general is sad. Wallowing in mediocrity for years, and Rick Smith is part of the reason why since he's been here the longest. 17 years of football, 11 years under Rick Smith and all we had to show for it is 4 playoffs, and a franchise qb on his last year as gm. If that's not pathetic i don't know what is. Sad thing is most texans fans are happy with the mediocrity.

At least we not the browns though, that sht is depressing to support if u a fan.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Mediocre as they may be, Rick was part of a group in charge of putting the team together. He had nothing to do with bad coaching decisions. Which by the way has a lot more to do with the mediocre play.
    I too used to get on Ricks case about the teams mishaps until I realized that he did actually did his part. It's not his fault that BoB nutted up under pressure.

13. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

11 year tenure, and u blaming it on the coach that got us into the playoffs the most times?
    Granted u can argue that the GM finally drafted solidly during the later stage of his tenure (2011-2017) hence carrying bob's incompetent coaching skill, but 11 years to finally draft for a franchise qb at the end is just downright sad and inexcusable.

Franchise Qb is the most important role, but since the Texans enjoy mediocrity so much it didn't bother why else would they wait 11 years to draft for a franchise qb under GM smith tenure.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Aside from that crazy Carr/Manziel/Bortles/Bridgewater year, what obvious franchise QB could they have drafted and missed out on? Key word: obvious

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Garropolo. Took XSF instead.

Also, Dak Prescott wasn't obvious but a QB guru should be able to find guys.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well not only is Dak "not obvious" it's starting to look like he's not a franchise QB either.

red5rocket likes this.
  17. Nimo

Nimo Member

Your QB guru should be on coaching staff not scouting. Even though I liked Jimmy G, I'm not sure I would say he was obvious to be a franchise QB. 32 teams didn't think he was worth a first round pick.

I have always said instead of using first round picks on QBs that are not ready year after year; you build the rest of the team. Get that defense and offensive line ready so when you do get that QB, you dont have to waste years trying to build a team around him.

18. dmoneybangbang

I like the front office turnover, now that Watson is the franchise QB the new GM and his people will build around him. Certainly cause for some optimism.

coachbadlee likes this.
  19. Champs

Champs Member

Garropolo was take 3 spots ahead of Fido in the end of the 2nd.

Hind sight fans are the worst.,

macho GRANDE, csj and texans1095 like this.
  20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think you are confusing your Texans nicknames. XSF or Xavier Sua'Filo was taken at the beginning of the 2nd round. Way ahead of Jimmy G. You're referring to Fiedorowicz who was taken in the 3rd.

macho GRANDE and red5rocket like this.